• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Entirely Too Early Predictions: Who Takes the Biggest Points Leap?

Phil

13 hours ago, CCCP said:

With Laviolettes defensive system i dont see anyone doing better offensively except Laffy. 

No bro. It’s the other way around. Everyone is going to know exactly where to be for maximum offensive output. Magic on ice. Easy points. Except for Lafreniere. He eats too many donuts!

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

• LOL 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • ALEXIS! 1

Actually I think talented teams with very good defensive schemes are more likely to score more often;  they have better and faster transitions off turnovers in the NZ, and with the players we have, we should be able to take advantage of those opportunities a lot more often.

Teams like the Bowman Red Wings of the late 90's, and the Canadiens of the mid 70's had air tight defensive schemes under Scotty, that reeked havoc on teams.  Even most recently, the Tampa teams of the last 10 years or so under Cooper have been very good defensively with opportunistic players taking full advantage of other teams breakout failures, and blue line turnovers.  Maybe not the most offensively talented teams, but they win because of their taking advantage of turnovers, penalties, and also their tight D.

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Actually I think talented teams with very good defensive schemes are more likely to score more often;  they have better and faster transitions off turnovers in the NZ, and with the players we have, we should be able to take advantage of those opportunities a lot more often.

Teams like the Bowman Red Wings of the late 90's, and the Canadiens of the mid 70's had air tight defensive schemes under Scotty, that wreaked havoc on teams.  Even most recently, the Tampa teams of the last 10 years or so under Cooper have been very good defensively with opportunistic players taking full advantage of other teams breakout failures, and blue line turnovers.  Maybe not the most offensively talented teams, but they win because of their taking advantage of turnovers, penalties, and also their tight D.

The Jersey Trap teams based all their offense of turnovers and transition. And penalties they could draw off that 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

The Jersey Trap teams based all their offense of turnovers and transition. And penalties they could draw off that 

Exactly, 7. 

..and this team is ripe for Laviolette.  I'm not saying things are going to be a well-oiled machine from day 1, though.  This I expect to take some time to develop into a foundation for the playoffs.  There is a ton of untapped talent on this roster, along with what we already know exists here.

Coaches like Laviolette have the ability to uncover this talent and find ways to get the most out of their players.  I had hoped for Queneville because I believe he had that ability, and I watched his teams more often.

After reading @The Dude 's take on Laviolette a couple months ago, I saw that he is a very similar type coach, and he might even be a better choice because of his history in the division, and also his experience against teams we could be playing in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Teams like the Bowman Red Wings of the late 90's, and the Canadiens of the mid 70's had air tight defensive schemes under Scotty, that reeked havoc on teams.  Even most recently, the Tampa teams of the last 10 years or so under Cooper have been very good defensively with opportunistic players taking full advantage of other teams breakout failures, and blue line turnovers.  Maybe not the most offensively talented teams, but they win because of their taking advantage of turnovers, penalties, and also their tight D.

I agree, but I also think it takes years and chemistry playing that way to get there. Years we don't have with this iteration of the core.

Cooper is actually a really good example of what I hope the Rangers can accomplish in the future. He was the AHL coach for Tampa for 3 years before becoming head coach for Tampa, and he got his fingerprints on some young players who graduated to the Lightning and helped establish how he wanted the team to play. Johnson, Palat, Killorn, for example. As they developed other players, it was in line with how they wanted them to play when they made it to the show. My hope is that Knoblauch is actually the guy who will be setting the tone in Hartford for the next wave of players. He can rise in the ranks with them and leave behind a model of success for developing players.

I think there's a realistic timeline for this though, and it probably doesn't overlap with the current coach. I think they are taking a stab at catching lightning in a bottle here, which is really unlikely to work, and hopefully they don't sandbag the future too much more in the process.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree, but I also think it takes years and chemistry playing that way to get there. Years we don't have with this iteration of the core.

Cooper is actually a really good example of what I hope the Rangers can accomplish in the future. He was the AHL coach for Tampa for 3 years before becoming head coach for Tampa, and he got his fingerprints on some young players who graduated to the Lightning and helped establish how he wanted the team to play. Johnson, Palat, Killorn, for example. As they developed other players, it was in line with how they wanted them to play when they made it to the show. My hope is that Knoblauch is actually the guy who will be setting the tone in Hartford for the next wave of players. He can rise in the ranks with them and leave behind a model of success for developing players.

I think there's a realistic timeline for this though, and it probably doesn't overlap with the current coach. I think they are taking a stab at catching lightning in a bottle here, which is really unlikely to work, and hopefully they don't sandbag the future too much more in the process.

That’s why they need to keep Knobby around and not let him get away. If they have to place him on Laviolette’s staff at some point, there’s an option too. 

Most of the players on this team have been together for 2,3,4 years or more so I don't understand why anybody thinks they don't already have familiarity with each other.

Now they will have a plan, which helps chemistry develop. 

Also, the idea that Lav is a defensive coach is a false premise to even start from. He wants his players up ice pushing the play and he wants defenseman getting involved in the offensive zone. Those are not hallmarks of a defensive or trapping team.

I think everybody really needs to go back and read what's been written about him by the beat reporters. There's a lot of misinformation being thrown around here about how his teams play. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 2

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, I can see that too.  Maybe a bit of a stab as well, but the thing is that there are quite a few kids here that haven't really been coached yet at the NHL level and it just seems like they'll buy right in to what Lavvy is selling.

I just have a feeling this is going to come together very nicely over the next few months.

This season that's coming up is eerily reminiscent to me of that 1994 season that followed us shitting the bed in '92-'93.  I'm expecting an excellent season from this team on all accounts.

11 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

No bro. It’s the other way around. Everyone is going to know exactly where to be for maximum offensive output. Magic on ice. Easy points. Except for Lafreniere. He eats too many donuts!

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

U just watch how Laffy will take your boy’s spot by December. You just watch. 

Laffy for life!

On 8/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, The Dude said:

Wheeler.- 60 points. 25 goals

Edit- My bad. This was more of a prediction. It's not a big jump as per the OP . 

Sooooo, I'll go with Schneider.  10 goals- 30 points. 

Your prediction for biggest jump in point total from last year on this entire roster is 12 points? 

I think if Lafreniere makes a big jump it is because the Rangers have found him somebody to feed.

I keep looking at the juniors and international highlights and what stands out is how unselfish he is with the puck.  His goals are mostly cleanup goals whereas his assists are sharp passes across the ice that turn into goalies getting beat.

The two-on-ones are back and forth and back and forth and the last guy with the puck about a dozen feet in front of the goalie scores.

Offensively he is a lot more like Panarin than Kreider.

GG said that he and the other kids were too deferential to the vets but deferential was his game before he hit the NHL and it wasn't being deferential to vets it was being deferential to everybody and getting them good scoring chances in the process.