• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PS #1: Rangers @ Bruins, 5pm — MSG, NESNplus

Phil

In fairness to those who are saying Quick is cooked, many have been saying he’s cooked for quite a while now. I’ll reserve judgement of course but we are talking about a guy that had an .876 save percentage for the kings last year. A bit better on Vegas but he couldn’t get in the net for the playoffs. This isn’t anywhere near 2012 Quick. 

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

In fairness to those who are saying Quick is cooked, many have been saying he’s cooked for quite a while now. I’ll reserve judgement of course but we are talking about a guy that had an .876 save percentage for the kings last year. A bit better on Vegas but he couldn’t get in the net for the playoffs. This isn’t anywhere near 2012 Quick. 

1 of the 3 goals went through him. That's fixable. The others he just looked slow on reads. That's not really fixable for him, because he built his career on athleticism, and it's just not there at his age.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

1 of the 3 goals went through him. That's fixable. The others he just looked slow on reads. That's not really fixable for him, because he built his career on athleticism, and it's just not there at his age.

Tough to agree but I definitely do. Hope he can be serviceable for 20 games. .500 may not be good enough in this division this year.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't want them burning call ups all year to decide between Domingue or Garand.

I don't have faith in this guy to gain any kind if form back  AND adapt to the backup role. Hopefully they either fix him right away, or they decide its not worth it right away. This was one of the few poor moves by Drury this summer.  Should have kept Halak. 

What's out there FA wise if this experiment fails? 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't want them burning call ups all year to decide between Domingue or Garand.

I don't have faith in this guy to gain any kind if form back  AND adapt to the backup role. Hopefully they either fix him right away, or they decide its not worth it right away. This was one of the few poor moves by Drury this summer.  Should have kept Halak. 

What's out there FA wise if this experiment fails? 

What do you mean "burn callups"?

• Thanks 1

I was thinking the same thing. Is he even going to make it through half the season? As long as he's serviceable and keeps you in the game, I guess that's okay for a backup. But, he looked done last year. I get wanting to go a little cheaper (Halak hasn't signed anywhere anyway, as far as I know). I thought maybe they would just go with Domingue. They still may depending. lol

Edit: it is only the first preseason game. As bad as a he looked last year, I'm willing to wait a bit until he gets his feet under him a bit. Even Lundqvist in his prime didn't look too hot in preseason sometimes. His days off shutting teams out are over, but as long as he gives them a decent shot at winning, like Halak, then it's fine.

Edited by Sharpshooter

17 hours ago, CCCP said:

Yeah Sykora played with more confidence as the game went on.  Was noticeable in the second half of the game. 
Cuylle wasn’t impressive to me. Other than one nice hit, I didn’t see anything worth while. 
Quick sucked ass. 
Chytle looked like a man among boys. 

Laviolette thinks otherwise 

Domingue looked pretty decent, but really didn't face a whole lot.  I liked what I saw of Cuylle. 

The jury is still out on Quick.  I'm hoping he can be similar to what we got from Halak last season.  Especially with some defensive straucture in front of him.

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Laviolette thinks otherwise 

For good reason: Cuylle is a total Laviolette player. Incredibly hard worker, willing to grind like a stone along the walls, completely unafraid of physical contact, and never complains.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Still have a feeling Cuylle is going to make the team.

Very well could IMO. I didn't watch much of the game, but I could really easily see him beating out someone like Pitlick for a full-time role on the fourth line. He's a bit ahead of the curve in terms of graduating past the A at this point (relative to Othmann, Sykora, Berard, etc).

All the vets signed to league min deals will require waivers, but the odds of losing all of them, or most of them, is minimal.

• Applause 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sorry,I thought there was a limit to the amount of call ups per season. Just remembered that is only after the trade deadline.  Or is it? I forget.

That's post-deadline, yeah. No limit prior to that, during the season.

But teams are tighter against the cap earlier in the season which is why a lot of clubs just carry extra skaters out of the gate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CCCP said:

I just commented on that one game, not his overall progress. Plus Lavi didnt say anything specific, just general comments about Cuyle

Cuylle looks like his best shot at a Tom Wilson like player and he wants one of those for sure.

Also, I think Harpur has a better shot at 7D than we realize because of his size and willingness to be the policeman of last resort.  No idea who loses a spot in that scenario.  Obviously Gustafsson is a much better better player overall.

Edited by Br4d

30 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Cuylle looks like his best shot at a Tom Wilson like player and he wants one of those for sure.

Does he though? I was thinking the same,  but the only similar player to Wilson that Laviolette had was Hartnell. While he was a hard nosed player,  I don't think he was as dirty or wild as Wilson. Probably not one of his go to guys either. Wilson was getting top line minutes. 

I get the thought process, but I'm not sure Laviolette is looking for a Tom Wilson. If he is, he's shot out of luck. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Does he though? I was thinking the same,  but the only similar player to Wilson that Laviolette had was Hartnell. While he was a hard nosed player,  I don't think he was as dirty or wild as Wilson. Probably not one of his go to guys either. Wilson was getting top line minutes. 

I get the thought process, but I'm not sure Laviolette is looking for a Tom Wilson. If he is, he's shot out of luck. 

I don't think he's looking for a Wilson, but I do think he's looking for a guy who's willing to do the dirty work and lining him up with a couple of players who might not provide that in Chytil and Lafreniere. 

• VINNY! 1

It really sucks about Othmann getting hurt because he's totally another Laviolette type of player, along with Cuylle. Not that he would definitely make the team, but style wise, you just figure he's going to be in love with the guy. Cuylle has a great shot at making the opening night roster over people like Pitlick, etc.

54 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It really sucks about Othmann getting hurt because he's totally another Laviolette type of player, along with Cuylle. Not that he would definitely make the team, but style wise, you just figure he's going to be in love with the guy. Cuylle has a great shot at making the opening night roster over people like Pitlick, etc.

Doesnt really suck for Othmann, now they have the good reason to send him to Hartford instead of rush him up here.  Let him play in Hartford and re-evaluate after 10, 15, 20 games.  

He was also back on the ice, he only missed one preseason game. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

4 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Doesnt really suck for Othmann, now they have the good reason to send him to Hartford instead of rush him up here.  Let him play in Hartford and re-evaluate after 10, 15, 20 games.