• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Will Cuylle Have the Makings of the NHL's Next Great Enforcer? 'He Has That Element'

Phil

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Tired of hearing that argument after what we’ve seen with our prospects. Soaking for a year in the A should be a requirement at this point.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

100%. Rather overcook than under. We've seen what putting guys who aren't ready right into the NHL produces, and it's fuckin' ugly.

Yeah. Fair

Might be different though given what role you expect him to play and all.

That and he does have nearly 100 games at the minor league level already under his belt.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That and 50-goal skill

I'm not talking about skill, I'm just talking about the way he was on the ice. He would go around hitting anybody he felt like hitting, and if they didn't like it, he put them in their place. 

12 hours ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't even classify Wilson as an enforcer. He's a power forward. The only difference between the way he plays and the way Cam Neely played is roid rage. 

Same, but again, I just lifted the title direct from the article. There's probably an argument to be made that this is a new type of "enforcer," but that's a branding problem. When you say that word, most hockey fans will have a very clear picture in their head of what it means. Cuylle ain't it. And neither is Wilson. If you keep pounding it home, eventually you can change the meaning, but it's an uphill battle the whole way.

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Same, but again, I just lifted the title direct from the article. There's probably an argument to be made that this is a new type of "enforcer," but that's a branding problem. When you say that word, most hockey fans will have a very clear picture in their head of what it means. Cuylle ain't it. And neither is Wilson. If you keep pounding it home, eventually you can change the meaning, but it's an uphill battle the whole way.

Once Reavo is done then who is left in that mold? Pretty much no one. It'll catch on pretty easy because they are of the toughest ilk left in the league. The ones who will drop em when needed but also serve other purposes on the roster. 

Cuylle has the tools but his potential is unknown. Wilson seems like a unicorn but maybe we can have some luck.

It will be interesting to see who Laviollette slots into his opening day roster.  However, I don't expect the line combos and players in the lineup in game 82 will match game 1 - and we want to be better in game 82 and ready for the playoffs.   Given what we've seen with Laf, Chytil, Kakko, I'll be interested in how the organization handles Cuylle.  Development of our young players is necessary for me to feel better about our chances in the postseason.

2 hours ago, fletch said:

It will be interesting to see who Laviollette slots into his opening day roster.  However, I don't expect the line combos and players in the lineup in game 82 will match game 1 - and we want to be better in game 82 and ready for the playoffs.   Given what we've seen with Laf, Chytil, Kakko, I'll be interested in how the organization handles Cuylle.  Development of our young players is necessary for me to feel better about our chances in the postseason.

The NHL seriously needs to amend the rules regarding under-20 guys being allowed to go to the AHL.

It sickens me they don’t allow their next generation of potential stars to get the best development opportunities by limiting where they can play and when, etc.

No good reason for it and a detriment to all parties involved.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

The NHL seriously needs to amend the rules regarding under-20 guys being allowed to go to the AHL.

It sickens me they don’t allow their next generation of potential stars to get the best development opportunities by limiting where they can play and when, etc.

the reason is always $$.  You let 18 year old draftees go to AHL, the junior leagues will fold or at least suffer tremendously. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

The idea of blanket rules on it is silly. Some players should go back to junior. Some 19 year olds should go to the AHL. These decisions needs to be made on a case by case basis. Othmann, for example, might have been better off in the AHL last year.