• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PS #3: Rangers vs. Devils, 7pm — MSG, MSGSN

Phil

4 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Gustavsson may wind up being the deal of the off-season. Guy looks legit 

I’ve obviously known of him, and no what his numbers look like. But he’s a seasoned pro back there. Knows when to flick it on net, knows to look for any type of deflection whether it be off a body, a tip in, anything. Good insurance to have on PP2.

• VINNY! 1

16 minutes ago, siddious said:

So the usual problem? No one on this team knows how to go to the net outside of kreider who is the most polite net front presence 99% of the time lol

Hoping Goodrow gets back to what his game actually was prior to coming here. He could easily pester a goalie. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, siddious said:

I’m not saying they’re a fast team by any means but the rangers look so much quicker on the forecheck and back check so far this preseason. 

It's almost like some of us have said going back to last season, and we're hearing at echoed by the coach now, that you don't have to have the fastest players in the league to play a fast game.

Better positioning, better decision making, better planning, can all make a team appear faster than individual players can skate. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's almost like some of us have said going back to last season, and we're hearing at echoed by the coach now, that you don't have to have the fastest players in the league to play a fast game.

Better positioning, better decision making, better planning, can all make a team appear faster than individual players can skate. 

Amazing what a little coaching can do

11 minutes ago, siddious said:

Ryan Malone was a ranger?

For six games during the '14-'15 season.

On September 11, 2014, the New York Rangers announced they had signed Malone to a one-year, two-way contract worth $700,000.[9] On November 2, 2014, the Rangers placed Malone on waivers.[10] Due to an injury to Mats Zuccarello, the Rangers were able to avoid an emergency call-up and use Malone for another game. The Rangers had 30 days before Malone must be placed on waivers again.[11] On November 10, 2014, Malone was officially assigned to the Rangers' AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack. In six games with the Rangers, Malone recorded six shots on goal and was credited with 14 hits.[12]

On February 3, 2015, after Malone told the Rangers he was no longer interested in playing professionally, the Rangers placed Malone on waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.[13] He cleared waivers on February 4 and his contract was terminated, making him a free agent.

• Keeps it 100 1

59 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Remember when Ryan Malone made the team off of a good preseason? 

I prefer to remember when Fedotenko made the team on a PTO and became a valuable 3rd liner. 

I don't see the point in dwelling in the negative. 

11 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

50% of the time, it's indicative every time?

Think about what you're saying, how many players pass through a preseason schedule? Are you seriously going to say that only half of them put on performance that are indicative of what you will see during the regular season?

Moreover, what is the point in dwelling on the negative? If a player is having success why not just enjoy it? Isn't it better than a player not having success? 

Constantly looking at the glasses half empty is also indicative of Rangers Twitter. Literally the worst kinds of fans. 

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

50% of the time is way too high. Picking out edge case examples like Fedorenko and treating it as the norm is kind of typical for Rangers fans though.

Oh you're so cool for bucking the trend! What the fuck are you even talking about, you're Rangers Twitter incarnate LMAO. There is literally nobody more typical than you. 

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

What trend? Your view doesn’t represent a trend. Preseason means approximately nothing.

This as a blanket statement is patently false. 

Preseason means a ton to players trying to make the team. It means a ton to Laugh. It's important for him to get off to a good start and show he can play on the right side.

Is preseason success and indicator of regular season success? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But to make a blanket statement that it's meaningless is naive. There's a reason clubs don't want players holding out and missing camp. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

This as a blanket statement is patently false. 

Preseason means a ton to players trying to make the team. It means a ton to Laugh. It's important for him to get off to a good start and show he can play on the right side.

Is preseason success and indicator of regular season success? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But to make a blanket statement that it's meaningless is naive. There's a reason clubs don't want players holding out and missing camp. 

I don't care about what it means to the players, so that's a goal post shift. The point made was that preseason is indicative of what happens in the regular season as if it's normal.

The bold is not good enough. Once in a blue moon yes and overwhelmingly most of the time no is more realistic.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Think about what you're saying, how many players pass through a preseason schedule? Are you seriously going to say that only half of them put on performance that are indicative of what you will see during the regular season?

Moreover, what is the point in dwelling on the negative? If a player is having success why not just enjoy it? Isn't it better than a player not having success? 

Constantly looking at the glasses half empty is also indicative of Rangers Twitter. Literally the worst kinds of fans. 

Honestly, I was discussing an isolated point about how a fringe player being impressive in preseason is not indicative that they'll perform well in the regular season. I didn't say it was the be all end all.

Cuylle looks like he belongs. Physical but also with enough skill to take a regular shift in the bottom-6. Not playing scared like he did in his call-up last season.

Othmann looks like he can take a regular shift. I still don't think there's any point in rushing him with as tight a roster as we have. Let him get first line minutes in the AHL. If we need a recent example of why it helps, see Cuylle above.

I don't see all the hubbub with Rempe. Outside of being 6'7" he doesn't offer much. Emberson and Hollowell look like they could be a 6/7 D in a pinch if we have major injuries. Sykora looks solid but still isn't ready.

I'm fine being positive, but I also believe in being realistic. Being realistic isn't being negative.

• Applause 1