• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PS #5: Rangers @ Devils, 7pm — MSG, MSGSN

Phil

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, you get the feeling Shesterkin is going to have to be like '21-'22 Igor for at least the first month or so for this team to get its footing (hopefully).

Well it’s really hard to judge in the preseason.

So many veterans don’t make tons of effort. They know their roster spot is secure, and they just want to get through it healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

So many veterans don’t make tons of effort. They know their roster spot is secure, and they just want to get through it healthy. 

Fair. Didn't stop the Devil's from making them look like an AHL team though.

15 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You can't fix what was wrong in the Devils series last year by adding more vets, particularly in the age group the Rangers added vets too.

At some point the Rangers are going to have to add an infusion of kid energy to the mix and Cuylle and Othmann look like the guys to do it.

Good thing they did more than just add vets. They reconstructed the entire coaching staff.

Also, yeah Lafreniere doesn't look like he's going all out but neither does half the squad including most of the highly paid vets.  And yeah I get that Lafreniere probably wouldn't have made anything look different in this game but he's not the problem on the team, even if some can't admit it because he makes such a good target.

Here's the issue with this statement. The vets are established players and Lafreniere is not. I know that I'm going to get my 35 goals from Mika, my 90 points from Panarin, 70+ from Fox, close to 30 goals from Kreider. 

Lafreniere is a fourth year player on a prove it deal, and he's not proving shit. 

He is literally the epitome of what's wrong with this team. You like to complain about inconsistent effort, they don't try hard enough, they don't show up in big games, who's the poster child for that? And he's who you consider to be the next phase of the "core"?

Nah. He ain't it. It ain't close. 

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah, it's why I don't look too much into veteran performances in preseason. But, I still think Igor is going to have to be great early while the team gets acclimated a bit.

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Laf's performance is by far the worst thing from this preseason. I'm really not too worried about anyone else.

Definitely agree. But we can also say, Othmann and Cuylle have been shining stars as expected in the preseason here. Future looks brighter than the current LW situation. Potentially Laf and Kreider are replaced with Cuylle and Othmann in the coming years. Now if we can just find some RW prospects to be excited about...

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Definitely agree. But we can also say, Othmann and Cuylle have been shining stars as expected in the preseason here. Future looks brighter than the current LW situation. Potentially Laf and Kreider are replaced with Cuylle and Othmann in the coming years. Now if we can just find some RW prospects to be excited about...

Yeah, we went from center being an issue for quite some time, to now being super thin on the ride side.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The issue with this is that you would expect Lafreniere to be the top line LW. That should have been the plan. Othmann and Cuylle top out as middle six players as it currently stands. Unless they have some type of developmental explosion, I'm not sure either one is top line material. 

Lafreniere production may possibly be in line with a player of his age who's not getting power play time however for a first overall you would expect them to be better than average. Even on the Puck Soup podcast They said you would expect him to be closer to 60 points without power play time, and then additionally getting another 20ish on the power play... That would be the expectation of a first overall.

The problem with him is not the numbers, it's the on ice product. He's as casual as it fucking gets in all situations. Too many games where you don't know if he played or not. That's the unacceptable part, not the points. 

I didn't think that still needed to be said, but for some people apparently it does. (not you, others)

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Young or old, I have huge issues with the core of this team as a whole. It was evident big time after the first two games of the New Jersey series.

Hughes, Hischier and Bratt are there every shift, competing. You can't say that about the Rangers' core (also huge cap number) "stars".  Get it's the preseason, but you'd like to think they would put on a good showing against the team that ended their season, and in front of the new coach.

Gallant's last press conference about how effort is as important as talent echoes. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Hughes, Hischier and Bratt are there every shift, competing. You can't say that about the Rangers' core (also huge cap number) "stars".  Get it's the preseason, but you'd like to think they would put on a good showing against the team that ended their season, and in front of the new coach.

Gallant's last press conference about how effort is as important as talent echoes. 

Kakko competes, but almost always makes terrible decisions with the puck. lol

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Kakko competes, but almost always makes terrible decisions with the puck. lol

Has there ever been a team where this many professional hockey players look as if they don't want to score goals? Shoot the fuckin' puck, moron. 3 shots in the 1st period last night; that's complete shit. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Has there ever been a team where this many professional hockey players look as if they don't want to score goals? Shoot the fuckin' puck, moron. 3 shots in the 1st period last night; that's complete shit. 

It's amazing to me just how many times he passes up taking open shots in front. Unlike Laf he's actually good at putting himself in good scoring positions, but just doesn't take the shot.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

Gotta be honest, the entire team blows. I know its preseason but they just look flat out lifeless and bad.

We may need an honest rebuild and start fresh.

This is a wild overreaction.