• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #3] Rangers vs. Arizona Coyotes — Cuylle, Cooley, Coolio

Phil

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It looks like we're still a work in progress.  We probably will be for a few more weeks.  I was watching the play away from the puck, and some of the guys were hesitant on when to line up, or even where to line up when they employed the 1-3-1.

There was a lot of pointing as to where to go and who was to cover whom.  K' Andre looked like he didn't know who to switch with on 2 of the plays he got beat on.  That penalty he took I thought was because he didn't get to his part of the ice in time, but there was another player (couldn't see who) who had a better chance at switching with him. 

I dunno...just kinda what I took from it.

I am with you...

People are creatures of habits and it is hard to shake off, especially, when it comes to split seconds decisions during the game. Not to mention that some the players having harder times with breaking the habits than others. In pre-season games, where scoring did not matter much, they were still learning and adjusted during the games. Once the season started, "fresh out of school" so to speak, they looked awesome against Buffalo.

Against the Blue Jackets, weird game for sure, the 1-3-1 defense started to break down and the old habits returned. The BJs had no issues with going through on the defense most of the times. In the game with the Coyotes, it hasn't been that bad, but thanks to Shesty, they won.

The chances are that it'll take couple of more weeks to get with the program/new system. Levi will make certain that it'll happen, even if he needs to make some adjustment to the new system to incorporate some the old habits that worth keeping....

• Cheers 1

I think after another couple of weeks or so they should be alright. I hope. lol This is a team that really hasn't had the best systems in place for several years, so yes, it's pretty easy for bad habits to stick around for probably longer than they should. I think we all kind of figured the first 15 games or so were going to be not the best. If they lose tomorrow, 2-2 isn't the worst thing. I think all or most of us had them penciled in for something like that. Should they beat Nashville, then 3-1 is pretty damn good.

• VINNY! 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I think after another couple of weeks or so they should be alright. I hope. lol This is a team that really hasn't had the best systems in place for several years, so yes, it's pretty easy for bad habits to stick around for probably longer than they should. I think we all kind of figured the first 15 games or so were going to be not the best. If they lose tomorrow, 2-2 isn't the worst thing. I think all or most of us had them penciled in for something like that. Should they beat Nashville, then 3-1 is pretty damn good.

Exactly Sharpy.  We're not a fan base that's known for our patience, but I think it's pretty safe to say most of us know the deal with a new coach/system what have you.  I originally said Thanksgiving time, and that may be a pretty good bet that's where it really starts to come together.  Until then I'm thinking there's going to be a ton of video, stopping practice to teach, and trial and error.

That's cool by me.  I like what I'm seeing so far - A PLAN, and players that have roles and responsibilities.

We'll get there!

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Exactly Sharpy.  We're not a fan base that's known for our patience, but I think it's pretty safe to say most of us know the deal with a new coach/system what have you.  I originally said Thanksgiving time, and that may be a pretty good bet that's where it really starts to come together.  Until then I'm thinking there's going to be a ton of video, stopping practice to teach, and trial and error.

That's cool by me.  I like what I'm seeing so far - A PLAN, and players that have roles and responsibilities.

We'll get there!

Indeed. I can tell the players have bought in on it, it's just a matter of things coming together a bit more.

• Believe 1

It works better when weak side forwards know to drop in behind the pinching D man, to stop any turnover transition passes that lead to breakaways, or odd man rushes.

They'll figure it out.  I like the pinching, it plays well to the offensively skilled Defesemen we have!

29 minutes ago, CCCP said:

too much defense pinching for my liking

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

There was a lot. That's been a Laviolette thing forever basically. He's always wanted defensemen being aggressive, joining the rush, etc.

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It works better when weak side forwards know to drop in behind the pinching D man, to stop any turnover transition passes that lead to breakaways, or odd man rushes.

They'll figure it out.  I like the pinching, it plays well to the offensively skilled Defesemen we have!

I believe they'll get better at it but also they have a world class goalie in the crease. It wont be a huge issue IMO.

I like the aggressive play. This isn't a fast team so they need to be aggressive, put pressure on the puck. 

I also believe this team is better offensively than defensively. My guess is they wont win a lot of 2-1 games but we will see a bunch of 5-2, 6-4 games.

• VINNY! 1

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to [RS #3] Rangers vs. Arizona Coyotes — Cuylle, Cooley, Coolio