• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

44 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ew. Terrible.

ROR? No way. Super reliable. Playoff performer. Not injury-prone with four concussions.

I'd even add to get him.

Fair warning: I've wanted this player for more than a decade. I'm not going to be entirely rational about this. Ask the old heads around here. I've been pushing to trade for him or sign him forever. If they throw in John-Michael Liles, I'll faint.

5 hours ago, Phil said:

ROR? No way. Super reliable. Playoff performer. Not injury-prone with four concussions.

I'd even add to get him.

Fair warning: I've wanted this player for more than a decade. I'm not going to be entirely rational about this. Ask the old heads around here. I've been pushing to trade for him or sign him forever. If they throw in John-Michael Liles, I'll faint.

Marek Svatos

• Keeps it 100 1

On 11/13/2023 at 5:37 AM, Keirik said:

I think your waxing way over the top about him. He's good for sure, but he's not some ultimate fit here considering we already have leaders in this room with plenty of experiencd and aren't in desperate need for getting older for an additional 3 more years. That's a pretty important part of this considering he's even 2 years older AND more expensive. Smart hockey isn't having a 4 and a half million dollar guy in a bottom 6 role. Not on a team that has who they already have. 

I'm not sure who thr best person is to get for this team by March. I'm not sure why I have to throw a name out therrcjudt to throw a name out there.  I thought we were discussing ROR and why it would or would not be a great move. 

The window to win is now. He's still good and if he declines in performance 4 5 slides down nicely to 3C or 3RW. The cap hit is nothing for  a veteran to play in any spot in your top 6 then if need be top 9. He costs a million more than Goodrow,  but is actually a productive player. 

I'm not convinced this group really HAS that solid leadership. I love Trouba,  but the rest of the As? 3 of them probably shouldn't even have letters over a guy like Lindgren. A guy that has won and plays that type of game is a much needed aspect for this group come playoff time.  

As of now, I think (if he's available in a few weeks) he's a really good fit for the window.

I don't think we'll find a better player making only 4.5 million that suites this teams needs. . That's pretty much the Rangers price range. And that's only if they can deal Goodrow. 

There's Tarasenko. I'm not against that either. I probably was the first to bring him up. 

On 11/13/2023 at 9:04 AM, Pete said:

I wouldn't "rather" anything. I don't want ROR. He cost more than Goodrow and doesn't play the same role, so you're looking at close to $6M to replace Goodrow with ROR and a 4th liner, then where does Chytil play?

If you're adding ROR it's because you've decided Tro is your #2, or vice versa. Still no role for Chytil, so might as well just move him in the deal. You have Zib, Tro and ROR down the middle for multiple years. 

I guess you can try Chytil at wing, it's a lot of maneuvering. If you're saying we need to add a center it's a vote of no confidence in Chytil ability or his health. Just cut bait.

Well I did mention Chytil's health in the beginning here didn't I? I thought I mentioned that this is contingent on Chytil's noggin....

If I left that out. My bad. 

But I really am thinking of ROR to play RW. He replaces Wheeler or Kakko. This eliminates the abandonment of Chytil.  You upgrade the too 6 and gain versatility for when an injury occurs. Having a guy that can step in and play 2C is huge. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well I did mention Chytil's health in the beginning here didn't I? I thought I mentioned that this is contingent on Chytil's noggin....

If I left that out. My bad. 

But I really am thinking of ROR to play RW. He replaces Wheeler or Kakko. This eliminates the abandonment of Chytil.  You upgrade the too 6 and gain versatility for when an injury occurs. Having a guy that can step in and play 2C is huge. 

I don't know why you would trade for a center and then play him at right wing.

Is he capable of doing it? Probably. Are you going to get his best hockey doing that? Probably not. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't know why you would trade for a center and then play him at right wing.

Is he capable of doing it? Probably. Are you going to get his best hockey doing that? Probably not. 

He's played RW on and off for a while now.  Not this season,  but definitely last and I'm pretty sure a bit prior. 

Beggars can't be choosers. 

Do you see the Rangers as being capable of nabbing a player that versatile at the cap hit, not named O'Reilly? 

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's played RW on and off for a while now.  Not this season,  but definitely last and I'm pretty sure a bit prior. 

Beggars can't be choosers. 

Do you see the Rangers as being capable of nabbing a player that versatile at the cap hit, not named O'Reilly? 

Why not just trade for a legit RW? You'd have to think Tarasenko will be available.

I just don't see why you would trade for anybody with term and not send somebody with term back the other way.

Like I don't actively want ROR, but if you're getting him it's gotta be Chytil who goes the other way. 

Edited by Pete

Tarasenko is the perfect trade target: 

- OTT's at the bottom of their division

- Expiring contract

- He's played here before and it worked

- RW

You know who's contract is also expiring? William Nylander (but his cap hit is 7m). If TOR is still middle-of-the-packing by February, I wonder what Willy looks like as a rental. BUT I don't want to spend 1sts on rentals - seems real unwise given the club's history. 

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

Tarasenko is pacing 19 goals and 62 points for Ottawa so far. 

I had to look up previous trade: Tarasenko at 50% and Mikkola for 1st, 4th, Blais, Skinner. 

OTT's got new ownership - maybe they'd make a bad deal that doesn't include a 1st going back, but I doubt it. What does OTT want in return for Tarasenko?

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

until they traded for Kane, then it all fell out of whack 

The Kane trade was one too many.  It wound the Rangers in knots for weeks cap-wise beforehand.  Then the kids fell off of the radar afterwards.

It was just a terrible Ranger-esque deal.

Just now, Br4d said:

The Kane trade was one too many.  It wound the Rangers in knots for weeks cap-wise beforehand.  Then the kids fell off of the radar afterwards.

It was just a terrible Ranger-esque deal.

But BUT "when a player like Kane becomes available, you find out what it takes to get him"

• LMFAO 1
  • CK20! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

But BUT "when a player like Kane becomes available, you find out what it takes to get him"

When a 30 year old vet with Kane's skills who is healthy becomes available maybe you make that plunge.  The guy has been around the block is very talented and likely to contribute.

Trading for Kane was like buying an 18 year old Mercedes because you always wanted a Mercedes.