• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

1 hour ago, fletch said:

That 1993-1997 stretch with Messier and the ex-Oilers, has continued to be a beacon to Rangers GMs.  If you add the right veterans, you can win a Cup.

Almost always, the franchises that have won multiple cups in five year stretches have acquired elite players (I'm thinking Kane-Toews for Chicago, Kucherov-Stamkos for Tampa).   Lafreniere-Kakko developing into elite players would be the gateway to multiple cups, but so far it doesn't look like either player has that ceiling.

On-the-fly changes (one year plans) rather than long-term planning (3+ year plans) will keep NYR as a solid playoff team with a puncher's chance to win a Cup, rather than putting us on a path to sustained 5 year success.

It's a boring take, but adding another Wheeler at the deadline, as a 35+ year-old veteran in the sunset of his NHL career, to attempt to maximize 1 year success, isn't going to help the long-term trajectory.  If we add the first cup since 1994, then we can all celebrate.  And hope it isn't another 30 years until our next title, because of how our GMs handle roster construction - developing young players versus acquiring veterans.

I think the wheeler move and such was mostly to fill a gap, and hope we could eek out the last ounce of hockey he has in him.  The playoffs/trade deadline are moves we'll make to take a kick at the can.  The moves over the summer I believe were to get a solid enough roster to be in contention, make the playoffs and then we'll take it from there.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think the wheeler move and such was mostly to fill a gap, and hope we could eke out the last ounce of hockey he has in him.  The playoffs/trade deadline are moves we'll make to take a kick at the can.  The moves over the summer I believe were to get a solid enough roster to be in contention, make the playoffs and then we'll take it from there.

They took a flyer on a guy who has had a great career but is at an advanced age for next to no money.

Thus far it hasn’t worked.

But you can’t blame them.

The other two guys that did it with have worked out really well thus far.

And who knows, maybe Wheeler starts to play better.

Though I don’t have those expectations, it’s a possibility.

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They took a flyer on a guy who has had a great career but is at an advanced age for next to no money.

Thus far it hasn’t worked.

But you can’t blame them.

The other two guys that did it with have worked out really well thus far.

And who knows, maybe Wheeler starts to play better.

Though I don’t have those expectations, it’s a possibility.

Let's see how it goes, 7.  He'll be better, and you never can tell what's going to happen 4 months from now.  At present, it's working, even without some of our big guns firing on all cylinders.  I still think they're getting used to the whole Laviolette Experience, with some old habits showing up every once in a while. 

We'll get there.

I think the Rangers think they're in the mix for a cup every year.

The one year rentals are completely self-defeating in that context.  They don't help enough in the given year and the cumulative weight they place on the team over time is what keeps us from ever getting over the top.

If the lines remain the same, which I anticipate when it comes to Mika and Kreider being paired up, I’d be eyeballing more of a shooter for them anyway. The person who fit better than just about anyone else the last few years has been Vatrano, who shot it whenever he had the chance. Tarasenko last year was the same. He loved putting the puck on net. I’m not always a fan of taking a trip down memory lane, but one of those guys (Tarasenko seeming more likely to be moved) would be on my list of targets not only because of prior success, but because of their inclination to put the puck on net.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It sucked because one or both of those was exactly what the team needed and their time here was so short lived. We weren't too surprised they wound up basically being rentals anyway, but still, what a tease. lol

Agreed. In Tarasenkos case in particular, I really, really wanted him back. I thought he fit in so nicely here. And he did so much away from the puck that you wouldn’t expect from a star player like him. Obviously the issue was the cap space. But I would not at all be surprised if he is a target of Drury come February if Ottawa continues to be out of the hunt. He played really well here on that line with Zibanejad and Kreider.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Agreed. In Tarasenkos case in particular, I really, really wanted him back. I thought he fit in so nicely here. And he did so much away from the puck that you wouldn’t expect from a star player like him. I would not at all be surprised if he is a target of Drury come February if Ottawa continues to be out of the hunt. He played really well here on that line with Zibanejad and Kreider.

I think it's something that Drury will look into when that time comes, depending where Ottawa is. He only signed there for year anyway, didn't he? If he can't get him around the deadline, he could try again in free agency.

Vatrano is signed for this year and next and expires as UFA. He’s on Anaheim, who sucks. Cap hit: 3.65m. 

What does Anaheim want? 

I think they need to go after Tarasenko and hope for a Duclair, Vatrano, someone else as a consolation if you don’t get ‘senko. 

I guess what I’m saying is I want Tarasenko. And I want him way before the deadline lol. 

4 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Vatrano is signed for this year and next and expires as UFA. He’s on Anaheim, who sucks. Cap hit: 3.65m. 

What does Anaheim want? 

I think they need to go after Tarasenko and hope for a Duclair, Vatrano, someone else as a consolation if you don’t get ‘senko. 

I guess what I’m saying is I want Tarasenko. And I want him way before the deadline lol. 

While I typically agree in wanting a player like this before the deadline like we got him last year, the one thing is you don’t have to worry about the chemistry necessarily like you would with someone who hasn’t been here before. So even if it happened and happened closer to the deadline, it’s not like Tarasenko is a wait-and-see if he could play with those 2 and mesh. He has already. It may take time to get back to full speed, but it would come eventually like it did last year.

Vatranos contract is a steal. An absolute fucking steal. I don’t think Anaheim trades him this season and if they do, given where he is at with having a year left at a very fair number, I think he would fetch an even greater haul than Tarasenko in a walk year.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

While I typically agree in wanting a player like this before the deadline like we got him last year, the one thing is you don’t have to worry about the chemistry necessarily like you would with someone who hasn’t been here before. So even if it happened and happened closer to the deadline, it’s not like Tarasenko is a wait-and-see if he could play with those 2 and mesh. He has already. It may take time to get back to full speed, but it would come eventually like it did last year.

Vatranos contract is a steal. An absolute fucking steal. I don’t think Anaheim trades him this season and if they do, given where he is at with having a year left at a very fair number, I think he would fetch an even greater haul than Tarasenko in a walk year.

Vatrano is also 2 years younger.

Give me a guy like Luke Kunin for depth and for playoff hockey and i'd be happy, don't need top line players. And though i haven't been paying attention to Patrick Kane news but if we wanted any of the high end offensive guys going to be available at the deadline you might as well throw the bone at Kane who you dont have to trade anything for. 

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Give me a guy like Luke Kunin for depth and for playoff hockey and i'd be happy, don't need top line players. And though i haven't been paying attention to Patrick Kane news but if we wanted any of the high end offensive guys going to be available at the deadline you might as well throw the bone at Kane who you dont have to trade anything for. 

I wish Foligno didn't re-sign with Minnesota. He'd have been perfect.

6 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

i have a feeling that Taransenko signed a one year deal with Ottawa just to be traded to the rangers at the deadline again.  

I felt the same way when he signed there too, man....like Ottawa was his "hold-over"  😉

On 11/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, phillyb said:

Tarasenko is the perfect trade target: 

- OTT's at the bottom of their division

- Expiring contract

- He's played here before and it worked

- RW

You know who's contract is also expiring? William Nylander (but his cap hit is 7m). If TOR is still middle-of-the-packing by February, I wonder what Willy looks like as a rental. BUT I don't want to spend 1sts on rentals - seems real unwise given the club's history. 

• Like 1