• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

The Kakko injury really highlights the depth and talent situation the Rangers are facing at RW.  This team has been renting RW's at the deadline for two seasons now because we don't have the talent in the organization to fill that gap.  The rentals cost us down the road and so we don't see their effect right away but we will see it sooner or later as depth at other positions begins to dry up due to missing draft picks.

This time around the Rangers should make the big boy trade and try to correct the balance and talent issues for more than one June.

We've got good depth on defense and good organizational talent at LW.  It's time to take a real piece from one of those areas and turn it into a real RW that we're going to keep and incorporate into the plan moving forward so the rentals stop.

It's hard to see when you're talking about giving up a piece like K'Andre Miller but getting a similar young talent back at RW would help the Rangers build towards a coherent cup contender.

Giving up Brennan Othmann for a 26 year old middle 6 RW may not feel like a good move but it would do a lot towards stabilizing the team.

Waiting for Kakko to become the RW that balances the roster out is a fruitless effort so far and it certainly doesn't look like it's going to pan out in the near future.

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

The Kakko injury really highlights the depth and talent situation the Rangers are facing at RW.  This team has been renting RW's at the deadline for two seasons now because we don't have the talent in the organization to fill that gap.  The rentals cost us down the road and so we don't see their effect right away but we will see it sooner or later as depth at other positions begins to dry up due to missing draft picks.

This time around the Rangers should make the big boy trade and try to correct the balance and talent issues for more than one June.

We've got good depth on defense and good organizational talent at LW.  It's time to take a real piece from one of those areas and turn it into a real RW that we're going to keep and incorporate into the plan moving forward so the rentals stop.

It's hard to see when you're talking about giving up a piece like K'Andre Miller but getting a similar young talent back at RW would help the Rangers build towards a coherent cup contender.

Giving up Brennan Othmann for a 26 year old middle 6 RW may not feel like a good move but it would do a lot towards stabilizing the team.

Waiting for Kakko to become the RW that balances the roster out is a fruitless effort so far and it certainly doesn't look like it's going to pan out in the near future.

Giving up Brennan Othmann for a 26-year-old middle six RW feels horrible. He embodies everything they want to be moving forward. Addressing the dearth of right-wings should be a priority, but cutting off their nose to spite their face isn't the way to achieve it. There have to be solutions that won''t cost them critical pieces of their immediate future. I know he was a rental, but Frank Vatrano cost them like a fifth-round pick. I'd sooner take on a reclamation project for something similar than give up real futures for a guy on the edge of free agency.

In other words, Othmann and Perreault are no-gos in any deal that doesn't land them a star.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The repercussions of the disastrous Buchnevich decision is still rearing it’s ugly head.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

We're not getting a 26 year old RW that plays in the middle 6 for Jones or Robertson.  You have to give value to get value.

I think Miller is the most obvious trade bait for a top 6 RW in his early prime.  If we're looking for somebody to play on line 2 or 3 depending on role then Othmann is probably the best bait.

Ranger's LW = Kreider, Panarin, Cuylle and Vesey.  All those guys are going to be around for the next couple of seasons.  LW is stable right now.  We've got a LW playing in the top 6 on RW in Laffy also.

Ranger's RW is Laffy, Wheeler (likely last season), Kakko (hmmm) and Goodrow (likely last season here.)  We need a RW that is going to slot in in the Wheeler/Kakko vicinity and be here for several seasons.

Everybody is going to say that Miller is too talented to give up but the right answer is that he is too talented to give up unless you get back somebody just as talented.  The Rangers defense is thick right now.  We need to take advantage of that and jigger the roster to be more competitive when we hit the playoffs and then still that competitive going into next season.

This team is missing Tarasenko right now because we rented him instead of just grabbing the problem by the horns and solving it.

Edited by Br4d

16 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Absolutely. Gustafson could also be a piece or less likely, Miller. I hate to see it happen but also realize the need we have at RW. For the right deal, I entertain it.

I could absolutely see Miller on the move. Not Gus. Gus is cheap, and he's better. Miller's trade value and freed up cap hit can net a good quality RW who can help the team 5v5.

• Keeps it 100 1

53 minutes ago, Br4d said:

We're not getting a 26 year old RW that plays in the middle 6 for Jones or Robertson.  You have to give value to get value.

I think Miller is the most obvious trade bait for a top 6 RW in his early prime.  If we're looking for somebody to play on line 2 or 3 depending on role then Othmann is probably the best bait.

Ranger's LW = Kreider, Panarin, Cuylle and Vesey.  All those guys are going to be around for the next couple of seasons.  LW is stable right now.  We've got a LW playing in the top 6 on RW in Laffy also.

Ranger's RW is Laffy, Wheeler (likely last season), Kakko (hmmm) and Goodrow (likely last season here.)  We need a RW that is going to slot in in the Wheeler/Kakko vicinity and be here for several seasons.

Everybody is going to say that Miller is too talented to give up but the right answer is that he is too talented to give up unless you get back somebody just as talented.  The Rangers defense is thick right now.  We need to take advantage of that and jigger the roster to be more competitive when we hit the playoffs and then still that competitive going into next season.

This team is missing Tarasenko right now because we rented him instead of just grabbing the problem by the horns and solving it.

Well…you’re not wrong 

59 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I could absolutely see Miller on the move. Not Gus. Gus is cheap, and he's better. Miller's trade value and freed up cap hit can net a good quality RW who can help the team 5v5.

Gus is only cheap now. He won't be if this keeps up. Edmonton or Toronto would probably love to pay him big money to play for them.

38 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Othmann can play RW next season. Trading Miller leaves a hole that none of the current defensemen can legitimately fill. 

A hole where? Lindgren pairs with Fox and Gus should be slotting ahead of Miller. There’s a mirage here that Miller-Trouba is some formidable duo. They aren’t and never have been. Miller hasn’t progressed. He’s a decent 2nd pairing guy but he’s not irreplaceable. The fact Gus can come

in here and be better speaks volumes.

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

A hole where? Lindgren pairs with Fox and Gus should be slotting ahead of Miller. There’s a mirage here that Miller-Trouba is some formidable duo. They aren’t and never have been. Miller hasn’t progressed. He’s a decent 2nd pairing guy but he’s not irreplaceable. The fact Gus can come

in here and be better speaks volumes.

Miller's career is literal year-over-year progression. He's a 23-year-old coming off a 43-point season despite getting almost no PP time. Much as I love Gus, I'm not trusting this late-ish career surge and buying big on 20 incredible games at the direct expense of the former. I'm just not.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Give Gus Miller’s money next season.

He's pacing 60 points. Edmonton will probably offer him $5.5–6 million per year.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Miller's career is literal year-over-year progression. He's a 23-year-old coming off a 43-point season despite getting almost no PP time. Much as I love Gus, I'm not trusting this late-ish career surge and buying big on 20 incredible games at the direct expense of the former. I'm just not.

He's pacing 60 points. Edmonton will probably offer him $5.5–6 million per year.

I should have been more specific. He's not progressing defensively. He's 24 in January and I just don't think that end of the ice is clicking well for him. He's got a good stick, but he's a trainwreck positionally and just not a very smart player. He's also a pussy for his size, and that doesn't do him any favors. Points are regressing down this year too, but I couldn't care less about that. The team doesn't need an offensive defenseman. It needs sound defenders. Like I said, he's not "bad". He's just replaceable. There's trade value and a decent cap number to work with here to address a larger need up front.

Man I don't see a team giving 32 year old Gus that kind of money. He's got a 60 point season under his belt with Chicago. He was tracking a 50 point season last year and only got $800k on the market. Either he wanted to play for Lav and took a significant discount, or nobody's offering this guy money. I could see him staying here for 2-3 years in the 4s.

Edited by BrooksBurner

24-year-old D man who started playing D later than most still has a lot to learn, let's not develop him...just trade him and replace him with a 32-year-old player and then complain that he's too old and that the team doesn't know how to develop its youth. 

Sounds like Rangers fans to me!

• Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Bieser said:

If Ottawa continues to be looking up in the standings I have to think (hope) Tarasenko gets moved and we are in on him.  I think he fits system and the top line with his shoot first play.  

I really hope he's available. I saw him as a much better fit overall than Kane (I know he wasn't 100%, but still). He came here and fit like a glove right away, and yeah, more shooters helps.

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I really hope he's available. I saw him as a much better fit overall than Kane (I know he wasn't 100%, but still). He came here and fit like a glove right away, and yeah, more shooters helps.

I think he’ll be available and I think this is a place he’d like to be.

Gonna have to do sone serious cap maneuvers to get him though.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, basically in the same boat as last year. Not a great cap situation and in need of wingers. lol

Luckily with Tarasenko, his cap hit isn’t massive. 
If they can maybe get a 3rd team involved for double retention, or send a smaller salary out of town, they can probably make it work. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

Luckily with Tarasenko, his cap hit isn’t massive. 
If they can maybe get a 3rd team involved for double retention, or send a smaller salary out of town, they can probably make it work. 

Definitely can happen, and I think it will! He only signed a one-year deal with Ottawa, right? Get him back, see how he does, and extend him.