• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chytil Suffers Another Concussion; Placed on LTIR

Phil

19 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Panarin-Tro-Laffy

Kreider-Brodzinski- Vesey

Cuylle -Zib-Wheeler

We really have too many deck chairs. Imo no matter how we slice it each line except for one will have an anchor on it.

Goodrow while not what we hoped him to be when he signed is significantly better that all the field fillers and Wheeler that were signed. Especially with injuries. Throw in that Kakko and Chytil's returns are unknown and shouldn't be counted on makes for a really tough situation. Then there's Igor not even being the best goalie on the team at this point. They're incredibly lucky they stacked the points early but was it all smoke and mirrors again with some whiteboard sessions mixed in?

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

You can say that about putting anybody with Bonino. 

Right but the opportunity cost of putting one of your top scorers with Bonino is much higher than the cost of putting a young first year player with him.

Long-term you want to support the young guy better than the Rangers are currently able to but crippling your second leading scorer by putting him on a line with Bonino and Wheeler is a higher cost at the moment given the Rangers current struggles.

If CK and MZ cannot get their act together at 5v5 the Rangers will have trouble qualifying for the playoffs this year and that's even with a huge head start.

Things just worked better with Wheeler on the 20/93 line. 

Go back to it. It balanced things out.

A big issue is Bonino on line 3. Cuylle deserves a better center. Bonino is awesome as 4C. He's just kinda holding back line 3. 

They need another line that can disrupt or create some pressure. Right now, 3rd line is just kinda there.  Who do you put there though? Is Brodzinski that guy? Nash? I still have no idea why Goodrow wasn't immediately plugged into that spot. I know I just went on about how they need 2 RWs. But I do feel one of those spots can and should be filled from within. There's really nothing there for middle 6 center though. 

The suggestion of Monahan is looking better and better by the day.  I've heard Gourde mentioned on a couple pod casts. Do we want to get Keirik excited over that possibility? 

Unless Chytil can make it back before Christmas,  they Rangers need to find a center that can make a difference on a 3rd line or higher. 

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Just keep Brodzinski up here and let Wheeler go down and captain the Wolfpack.

I don't know that really solves much from a roster perspective. Plus you're talking about a guy that got his C stripped because he wasn't a very good leader. 

Sending Wheeler down resolves nothing unless the Rangers have somebody down there who will be better at RW than he is and I don't think that's the case right now.

One of the things that is becoming clear is that Hartford has little or nothing to resolve the Rangers depth issues at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Sending Wheeler down resolves nothing unless the Rangers have somebody down there who will be better at RW than he is and I don't think that's the case right now.

One of the things that is becoming clear is that Hartford has little or nothing to resolve the Rangers depth issues at the moment.

Well yea teams don't generally store top 6 players in the AHL.  2 long term injuries in the top of your forward group are gonna hurt any team.  Drury needs to work the phones.

Just now, Long live the King said:

Well yea teams don't generally store top 6 players in the AHL.  2 long term injuries in the top of your forward group are gonna hurt any team.  Drury needs to work the phones.

I don't think I've seen a Rangers roster as thin as this one at forward since Panarin signed.

We're playing with 2.5 real lines and all of them are having difficulties at even strength.

Not sure what the answer is but the Kings are not having depth issues and they're going to kick our ass tonight unless something changes.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

At this point I'd try...

Cuylle - Zib - Vesey 

Panarin - Goodrow - Laf

Kreider - Trocheck - Brodzinski

Pitlick - Bonino - Wheeler

Then find a RW to bump Vesey to the 3rd line.

You can't make the Rangers better by giving some of Trocheck's minutes to Goodrow.  That's just not going to work.

The problem the Rangers have right now is that they have two centers who should be getting 8 even strength minutes a game and it doesn't help the team when they are getting 16 between them.

Then you have Brodzinski who should probably be getting 7 or 8 even strength minutes a game and he's getting 11.  Wheeler shouldn't be on the team at all and he's getting 12 and a half.

The 4th line right now should be Vesey - Bonino - Goodrow but all of those guys are likely to get pushed up the lineup because the Rangers are missing two guys who started the season in the top 6 and have a 3rd guy who is stepping down below replacement level.

18 hours ago, Br4d said:

You can't make the Rangers better by giving some of Trocheck's minutes to Goodrow.  That's just not going to work.

The problem the Rangers have right now is that they have two centers who should be getting 8 even strength minutes a game and it doesn't help the team when they are getting 16 between them.

Then you have Brodzinski who should probably be getting 7 or 8 even strength minutes a game and he's getting 11.  Wheeler shouldn't be on the team at all and he's getting 12 and a half.

The 4th line right now should be Vesey - Bonino - Goodrow but all of those guys are likely to get pushed up the lineup because the Rangers are missing two guys who started the season in the top 6 and have a 3rd guy who is stepping down below replacement level.

interesting that goodrow was always said to be a versatile player and would be moved up the lineup when necessary in years past, but this year with all the injuries not once he sniffed any type of top 6 minutes.  Goodrow produced when he was plugged in to top lines 

20 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

interesting that goodrow was always said to be a versatile player and would be moved up the lineup when necessary in years past, but this year with all the injuries not once he sniffed any type of top 6 minutes.  Goodrow produced when he was plugged in to top lines 

It's because he is producing on the "fourth" line which in reality is not playing anything like a fourth line. They have a thing going on and I wouldn't touch them either if I were the coach. 

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

It's because he is producing on the "fourth" line which in reality is not playing anything like a fourth line. They have a thing going on and I wouldn't touch them either if I were the coach. 

but having the Zibby line going is more important that having the 4th line playing well.  

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

but having the Zibby line going is more important that having the 4th line playing well.  

I think this is a more controversial statement than you think. Having one of the 1st two lines going is more important than the fourth line playing well, sure, but I think you could make an argument that having a scoring line and a checking line playing well is more important than having two scoring lines playing well. 

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I think this is a more controversial statement than you think. Having one of the 1st two lines going is more important than the fourth line playing well, sure, but I think you could make an argument that having a scoring line and a checking line playing well is more important than having two scoring lines playing well. 

but 4th line is not a checking line, that would be the 3rd line.  A 4th line job is to keep the puck in the OZ and away from the opposition, any scoring is a bonus.  A team can do well in a long run without a 4th line who can occasionally score but wont do too well with only one offensive line that produces.

The only reason the 4th line is “going” is because it has a non-4th line player on it in Vesey. Vesey is a quality 3rd liner who has shown ability to hang as a third wheel higher up. It’d be great if we had that kind of depth to afford the luxury of Vesey on the 4th line, but we don’t.

In no world do you prioritize line 4 over line 2 (Zib line is line 2, let’s stop kidding ourselves).

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • JIMMY! 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The only reason the 4th line is “going” is because it has a non-4th line player on it in Vesey. Vesey is a quality 3rd liner who has shown ability to hang as a third wheel higher up. It’d be great if we had that kind of depth to afford the luxury of Vesey on the 4th line, but we don’t.

In no world do you prioritize line 4 over line 2 (Zib line is line 2, let’s stop kidding ourselves).

i love it when you take charge like that

• JIMMY! 1