• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can Blake Wheeler Be Traded?

Phil

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

Maybe Wheeler gets past the holidays and decides to retire?  He could still stay in the area with his family until the end of the school year and then probably home to Minnesota.

On a losing team, maybe. Not on the best team in the league. Why potentially miss out on the opportunity to win the Cup, even if you play a tiny role in the process?

I know I'm alone in this. But he isn't THAT bad.  I guess it was coincidence that Zibanejad started his point streak when Wheeler was moved up the lineup? 

He's a net front presence. He can turn on the jets to get to loose pucks and he's getting opportunities.

It's not like he lost the 20/93 assignment.  Laviolette shook up the lines and Brodzinski made a case for more icetime. It worked 1 game. I honestly don't see Brodzinski staying up there and I don't see Wheeler staying  down in the bottom 6 without a serious upgrade coming in. 

If you dump him, you potentially annoy Trouba too. 

Is Wheeler a staple for the future? Is he perfect? The answers are no. Do they have a better alternative? Unless you're ready to call up the red hot Othmann,  I don't see a realistic upgrade. 

I think this "he's trash" talk is an exaggeration. This coaching staff will figure out how to get more out of him. He's better than this. Even at age 37. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

The sentence "turn on the jets" and Blake Wheeler do not belong in the same universe, unless you're trying to make a cheeky remark about him leaving Winnipeg.

Meh. He skated pretty quick to get in on a puck dumped into a corner last night,  that saw him beat 3 guys to the puck from the blue line. 

More exaggeration with the slow stuff. He's not what he used to be. But he's not Dale Purinton out there. If Bonino can be effective with his turtle like speed,  Wheeler can contribute with his lost step. 

52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I know I'm alone in this. But he isn't THAT bad.  I guess it was coincidence that Zibanejad started his point streak when Wheeler was moved up the lineup? 

He's a net front presence. He can turn on the jets to get to loose pucks and he's getting opportunities.

It's not like he lost the 20/93 assignment.  Laviolette shook up the lines and Brodzinski made a case for more icetime. It worked 1 game. I honestly don't see Brodzinski staying up there and I don't see Wheeler staying  down in the bottom 6 without a serious upgrade coming in. 

If you dump him, you potentially annoy Trouba too. 

Is Wheeler a staple for the future? Is he perfect? The answers are no. Do they have a better alternative? Unless you're ready to call up the red hot Othmann,  I don't see a realistic upgrade. 

I think this "he's trash" talk is an exaggeration. This coaching staff will figure out how to get more out of him. He's better than this. Even at age 37. 

Trouba is a professional. 

42 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh. He skated pretty quick to get in on a puck dumped into a corner last night,  that saw him beat 3 guys to the puck from the blue line. 

More exaggeration with the slow stuff. He's not what he used to be. But he's not Dale Purinton out there. If Bonino can be effective with his turtle like speed,  Wheeler can contribute with his lost step. 

I'm glad you made that example, because you can see that Bonino is effective and Wheeler isn't. He's just there. And more often than not, he's not there, because he can't get there. 

Wheeler had one good game with two assists, let's not make it more than it is. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I'm glad you made that example, because you can see that Bonino is effective and Wheeler isn't. He's just there. And more often than not, he's not there, because he can't get there. 

Othmann yet or no?

I want him to bake a bit more but boy is it intriguing to think he could plug into the top 6. Dude looked good in pre season and is doing well down in the A.

23 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Othmann yet or no?

I want him to bake a bit more but boy is it intriguing to think he could plug into the top 6. Dude looked good in pre season and is doing well down in the A.

Othmann needs the year in the AHL, imo. 

A player never got worse from going to or staying in the AHL. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

He's just there...... in front of the goalie....  causing a screen, drawing attention, making room for his linemates as well as getting open in good areas of the ice for shot attempts.  

Players typically get credit for "the little things "  Guess Wheeler is the exception to that rule.  The stats show that line was producing once he got on it.  Zibanejads point streak is the evidence. It happened.  Sorry. 

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's just there...... in front of the goalie....  causing a screen, drawing attention, making room for his linemates as well as getting open in good areas of the ice for shot attempts.  

Players typically get credit for "the little things "  Guess Wheeler is the exception to that rule.  The stats show that line was producing once he got on it.  Zibanejads point streak is the evidence. It happened.  Sorry. 

John Candy No GIF by Laff

• LMFAO 1

14 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Othmann yet or no?

You might see him later in the season at some point, but not now.

And in fact, if he does come up, it’s probably just a cup of coffee.

Obviously if the kid comes up and lights it up and forces you to keep him here, you do so.

But short of that, it’s probably not going to be for more than a few games

I'm thinking with the Kakko injury,  Othmann is going to flip a switch and light up the AHL (I know he already is) to get his foot in the door with the bug club. He sees an opening and sees that even a guy like Brodzinski can make an impression on Laviolette, just by skating hard. 

It seems this coach recognizes the effort of the AHLers  and isn't afraid to reward the correct players with the correct role on the big club. I don't think we'll see Othmann or Berard called up to be slapped onto a 4th line. If they are called up, they are most likely going to be used in the top 6, possibly top 9 depending on how that line shakes out when Chytil returns. 

When Brodzinski returns to earth, I think Othmann totally gets called up.  Probably around Christmas.  

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Othmann needs the year in the AHL, imo. 

A player never got worse from going to or staying in the AHL. 

Meh. They have gotten disgruntled and pouted. 

With the gaping hole on RW, I'd think Othmann gets a cup of coffee. Especially if he continues the tear he's on. 

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Meh. They have gotten disgruntled and pouted. 

With the gaping hole on RW, I'd think Othmann gets a cup of coffee. Especially if he continues the tear he's on. 

If you've read any of his quotes you will see he's not pouting. 

He also hasn't been on a tear. He was very quiet up until the last one or two games. 

He has a lot to learn and he knows it. 

Edited by Pete

I'm not rushing Othmann.  Leave him be, right where he is.

When we get Chytil back, I think Wheeler's minutes will start to dwindle a bit.  Wheeler would be better if he could get to the net faster, but Jeeez...he skates like he's in quicksand!

I really like the guy, and I'm really pulling for him, but he seems like he's skating with a refrigerator on his back.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

If you've read any of his quotes you will see he's not pouting. 

He also hasn't been on a tear. He was very quiet up until the last one or two games. 

He has a lot to learn and he knows it. 

I didn't say he was. 

You said no players ever got worse from staying in the AHL. I replied with the fact that some pout and complain. If there's a spot and he's on this "not a tear" and keeps being on this "not a tear" maybe he gets annoyed.  

10 points in his last 7 games is a tear.  

Game Over No GIF by CBC

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I didn't say he was. 

You said no players ever got worse from staying in the AHL. I replied with the fact that some pout and complain. If there's a spot and he's on this "not a tear" and keeps being on this "not a tear" maybe he gets annoyed.  

10 points in his last 7 games is a tear.  

Game Over No GIF by CBC

So after he said a week and a half ago that he has a lot to learn, he's going to all of a sudden decide that he's ready for the NHL because of a hot streak?

That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. 

He's on a hot streak after going pointless in six games. That's why you don't judge players on handful of games. He's also doing a lot of damage on the power play, and guess where he's not going to play in the NHL? 

He's fine where he is. 

Edited by Pete

Let this kid cook for a while. Unless he absolutely forces you to call him up. 

He turns 21 next month and he’s 20ish games into his professional career. 
Current heater notwithstanding, he’s gonna have ups and downs there.

The key is to shelter him when he does. He won’t get that here, in NY, on a team with Cup aspirations.

If they continue to play this way, teams are going to seriously get up for them every night. Teams are going to attack the rookies and he’s gonna get exposed some nights. 

Let him continue in Hartford.

Youll probably see him at some point. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So after he said a week and a half ago that he has a lot to learn, he's going to all of a sudden decide that he's ready for the NHL because of a hot streak?

That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. 

He's on a hot streak after going pointless in six games. That's why you don't judge players on handful of games. He's also doing a lot of damage on the power play, and guess where he's not going to play in the NHL? 

He's fine where he is. 

So maybe he doesn't. Key word was maybe. You made a broad statement and I gave a situation where what you said isn't 100% fact.  And of course he said he has a lot to learn. He's not an A hole and he's not going to talk trash to the media.  

As for his point streak....

Got it. So when Panarin is on a point scoring streak it's nothing too . Sure man. You said he only got hot in the last 2 games. 10 points in his last 7 isn't the last 2 games. 

The kid is red hot since the Kakko injury. I'd like to think he's trying to catch Drurys eye and is giving a little extra to get his chance. That's pretty much what you ask of your prospects. Spots open. He wants it and sees a chance. I don't think it's all coincidence and it certainly just judging him on a handful of games. He's looked ready since last camp.