• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can Blake Wheeler Be Traded?

Phil

Unless someone overpays in trade value for Kakkos production there’s no choice in my mind but to keep running him out with opportunities to be top 6 while plugging on the 3rd line as his staple. I’m still optimistic he overcomes this injury setback and is a long term Ranger. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Br4d said:

There's a good argument for keeping Kakko as a 3rd liner.  The question is how does that work on the cap? 

His reps are going to want a one year deal in '24-'25 and then if he has a good 3rd line performance of 40 points they're going to want full value on that and probably a premium because he legitimately might break out in the first couple of years of the new deal. 

The Rangers could finesse that by letting him go to arbitration instead of immediately re-upping him.  That might facilitate a trade at that point.

The problem is that at the moment Kakko has the skills and production of a 3rd liner but he still has the expectations of a high draft pick, not to mention the injury will shoehorn him into a deal that he doesn't want next season.

Kakko was serious when he said he wanted more power play time this season.  That's his expectation and moving forward it will be the expectation.  It's where the money is.

What have you done for me lately? KK production this season is of an average fourth liner. 
like i said before, he better learn how to PK because he’ll end up playing in Finland soon

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's good thing we hung on to Goodrow and signed this guy so we couldn't bring back Kane.

This guy is contributing nothing to anything, including that. Goodrow on the other hand is a different story…he’s currently centering a fourth line integral to the teams success so far but yes, he costs a lot

Edited by Valriera

13 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

This guy is pacing 30 goals. We need more Wheelers, not less 

Pacing 12 goals and 24 points in 12:29 a night.  That might equal 20 and 40 if he was getting 20 minutes but he doesn't have the legs under him at this point in his career to do it.

He really is an albatross on the Rangers right now.  🙂

33 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Pacing 12 goals and 24 points in 12:29 a night.  That might equal 20 and 40 if he was getting 20 minutes but he doesn't have the legs under him at this point in his career to do it.

He really is an albatross on the Rangers right now.  🙂

i like albatrosses