• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can Blake Wheeler Be Traded?

Phil

Not a thing wrong with Wheeler as a support player. Paired with 2- 40- goal guys that are good defensively,  is exactly where you want a guy like this. He's not here to drive play. Nor does that line need such a player.

Just be there, go to the net, get open and have a decent set of hands. This thought that those 2 need a volume shooter is really just trying to recreate what somewhat clicked with Vatrano.  Why do 2-40 goal men need another guy to shoot? They don't.  

They just need a competent player to be able to find open ice, chip in a rebound,  or be a net front presence. Wheeler is that. Stop over thinking this. That spot is perfect for him, because the other needs they have can't be filled by Wheeler.

3C, and a RW with motor,  puck handling ability and a propensity to shoot is needed for the 3rd line. 

You're not waiving Wheeler. You're not scratching Wheeler. You'll get nothing out of him in a bottom 6 role with bottom 6 players. He's purely a complimentary player that has limited skills,  but good ones that fit with the teams star players. 

He'd probably do very well with Panarin.  But let's not mess with the obvious chemistry between 10/13. 

• Like 1

I will say he has started to find some good chemistry and look at least a bit better. I'm still not super high on him in the lineup, but he's basically making the minimum and at his age, the production he's on pace for I guess you're okay with. He's also coming to a new organization and new city for the first time ever. I guess technically two since Atlanta moved to Winnipeg, but you know what I mean. 

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I will say he has started to find some good chemistry and look at least a bit better. I'm still not super high on him in the lineup, but he's basically making the minimum and at his age, the production he's on pace for I guess you're okay with. He's also coming to a new organization and new city for the first time ever. I guess technically two since Atlanta moved to Winnipeg, but you know what I mean. 

I think you're got the right idea, Sharpy.  The guy is not what he used to be, and he's had to pretty much uproot his entire life and make a move to a new city, after being pretty much a "lifer" in Winnipeg.

He's not going to score 30 goals, he's not gonna be a fast player, and most likely not going to be a line-driving, impact player at this point.  However, if the guy can give us some solid minutes and chip in some points here and there, I think that's not a bad contribution from a guy at the league minimum.