• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Way-too-early Trade List: 10 Forwards Who Could Help the New York Rangers

Phil

5 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Twice apparently; if it makes you feel better, I'll let you win your narrow argument, and then you can go back to sniping with Brooks Burner about whatever it is that you were arguing about.

Sorry you can't handle a discussion and a difference of opinion, what else do you think should happen on an internet forum?

How about a few options from tomorrow's opponent?  They would require retention, but I'd think the asking price would be in the Rangers ballpark except the last player I'll bring up. 

One is another older player but he fits my mold of the team needs. TJ Oshie.  He's  been injured a lot over the years.  He's 37. But he plays center and wing plus can play a gritty game. Hes also a shooter. Kind of along the lines of Trochecks style IMO. But another 37 year old is obviously not going to fly around here

There's Anthony Mantha. He's bounced back a bit. Large body. Can slot around the lineup and not look out of place.  Probably comes cheap. 

And of course Tom Wilson. He'd cost a pretty penny though. I'd think the offer starts with Kakko and a slew of picks.  Would it ruin Panarin if that bastard was brought in? 

Too bad Kuznetsov is a POS and talked shit about Laviolette. He'd be a decent short term fit. 

Folks, It's going to be a dumpster dive to get anyone here. I'm just spit balling. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:18 AM, Br4d said:

The Rangers aren't going to let the team devolve into a rebuilding mess again.  They didn't like the process the last time to the point they felt they had to send a letter to the STH explaining a process that every franchise goes through eventually.

I was thinking about this the other night and I think the only times in Rangers history where the team just collapsed were at the end of Emil Francis and Neil Smith's tenures.  Both guys had been in control of the talent for a decade plus and had geared very heavily towards a particular window to win a cup.  Both of them made a bunch of vet moves and over time the talent base eroded.  You could argue that the end of the Sather era produced a similar result but really the Rangers were much better better during and coming out of that window.

I'm defining collapse as the team sucked for 3+ years.

Drury hasn't had control for long enough at this point to qualify in that category.  He has no room to have a really bad season, let alone 3 in a row.  He'd get fired early in the process so no incentive for him to trash the team to try to make it better.

What I think the Rangers are more likely to do is to start flipping vets for younger players, not draft picks, as soon as they see a reason too.  Chris Kreider is going to be a very valuable trade chip after this season if he continues the way he is.  Mika Zibanejad is also extremely valuable.  I would not be surprised to see a package deal that sends them both out of town if the Rangers can't finish off the run this year.  The package to help get around the NMC's.  The goal would not be draft picks.  It would be getting a young star back.

I’m not saying I disagree with the sentiment but could you imagine if Mika and or Kreider become the final pieces to somebody else cup?  I don’t think I could stomach it. 

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Because it's not about trading him. It's about figuring out if this hot streak is for real or if he's just being carried.

I don’t believe Laffy is being carried at all by bread.  He’s been really good in my eyes with setting up dishes and rocketing shots.  Certainly Panarin must get credit for bringing it out but I’m not exactly seeing someone much more established like Mika have a level boost when playing with Bread.  

That said I’ve also considered that at some point seeing some Laf back at left wing on the top line makes some sense.  I’d be curious to see some time in his natural position but a lack of a decent RW certainly hampers that.  I wonder what Laf-Zib-Vesey would do together 5x5, especially if Kreider needs a couple days off at some point during the season. 

Edited by mbob
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, mbob said:

I’m not saying I disagree with the sentiment but could you imagine if Mika and or Kreider become the final pieces to somebody else cup?  I don’t think I could stomach it. 

Sometimes you just do what you have to do.

The Esposito deal probably didn't sit too well for some Bruins fans but the Bruins needed to reset after their very successful early 70's run.  They didn't win a cup off of the deal but they did reset and get to two more finals in the aftermath.

If we exit early again this season I probably blow this team up with the intent of being better for the next two seasons.  I keep Fox, Shesterkin, Panarin and Lafreniere and I try to move some of the vets who have a lot more trade value than their 5v5 performance would suggest for younger players who don't have the disappearing pattern that has become more pronounced over the last season or two.

It's not exactly like moving Esposito on the bet his best days are behind him but it's a similar plan.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Sometimes you just do what you have to do.

The Esposito deal probably didn't sit too well for some Bruins fans but the Bruins needed to reset after their very successful early 70's run.  They didn't win a cup off of the deal but they did reset and get to two more finals in the aftermath.

If we exit early again this season I probably blow this team up with the intent of being better for the next two seasons.  I keep Fox, Shesterkin, Panarin and Lafreniere and I try to move some of the vets who have a lot more trade value than their 5v5 performance would suggest for younger players who don't have the disappearing pattern that has become more pronounced over the last season or two.

It's not exactly like moving Esposito on the bet his best days are behind him but it's a similar plan.

I think there's a difference between MZ and CK being peripheral pieces to a cup winner versus being the main pieces here. It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

The other point I would make is that 80 to 90 points is 80 to 90 points. That's what you're getting from MZ in a good year, understood that he's not lighting the world on fire right now. Point being we put too much emphasis on five versus five scoring... You still need to score on the power play. MZ and CK are elite power play weapons. You can't dismantle the power play in an effort to make five on five play better. You still need to score 5v4. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think there's a difference between MZ and CK being peripheral pieces to a cup winner versus being the main pieces here. It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

The other point I would make is that 80 to 90 points is 80 to 90 points. That's what you're getting from MZ in a good year, understood that he's not lighting the world on fire right now. Point being we put too much emphasis on five versus five scoring... You still need to score on the power play. MZ and CK are elite power play weapons. You can't dismantle the power play in an effort to make five on five play better. You still need to score 5v4. 

Not that I am advocating a MZ and CK trade this season because you could never fill the holes opened as you were filling others in a deal like that.  However I think the Rangers are swimming in power play talent right now and are one of the few teams in the NHL that could trade two of their top power play forwards and still keep moving.

The biggest deficit the Rangers would face right now in a MZ and CK trade is on the penalty kill.  The duo is one of the best in the NHL right now and that is not a quality they are likely to find in the short-term after any deal.

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Not that I am advocating a MZ and CK trade this season because you could never fill the holes opened as you were filling others in a deal like that.  However I think the Rangers are swimming in power play talent right now and are one of the few teams in the NHL that could trade two of their top power play forwards and still keep moving.

The biggest deficit the Rangers would face right now in a MZ and CK trade is on the penalty kill.  The duo is one of the best in the NHL right now and that is not a quality they are likely to find in the short-term after any deal.

I half agree, definitely with you on the PK, but on the PP if Kreider skill set was easily replicated, everybody would be doing it. He's one of the top three netfront presence in the NHL. Maybe number two behind Pavelski, who's just been doing it a little bit better for a lot longer.

You could point at the fact that he mostly coasts during 5v5 as a reason that he's not effective there, and that impacts MZ. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I half agree, definitely with you on the PK, but on the PP if Kreider skill set was easily replicated, everybody would be doing it. He's one of the top three netfront presence in the NHL. Maybe number two behind Pavelski, who's just been doing it a little bit better for a lot longer.

You could point at the fact that he mostly coasts during 5v5 as a reason that he's not effective there, and that impacts MZ. 

One of the things that would get tested in the aftermath of a MZ CK trade is whether Lafreniere has actual skills in front of the net or whether he just flashed for a bit earlier in the season.  I tend to think he does but he's 22 and his season is jiggling like jello at this point with no idea where it is going to wind up.

Again, I'm not suggesting trading either MZ or CK this season let alone both of them.  Just looking at what the '24-'25 Rangers would have available if they moved on over the summer.

I think any real deal this season is probably going to move out a younger player with upside, maybe in a package, for a better younger player at a position of higher need.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

One of the things that would get tested in the aftermath of a MZ CK trade is whether Lafreniere has actual skills in front of the net or whether he just flashed for a bit earlier in the season.  I tend to think he does but he's 22 and his season is jiggling like jello at this point with no idea where it is going to wind up.

Again, I'm not suggesting trading either MZ or CK this season let alone both of them.  Just looking at what the '24-'25 Rangers would have available if they moved on over the summer.

I think any real deal this season is probably going to move out a younger player with upside, maybe in a package, for a better younger player at a position of higher need.

Yeah, any trade talk or line juggling talk is not meant to be immediate. I need to clarify that for folks before they take it and run with it.

Line juggling should happen when things get stale, and the first move I would make is to see if Lafreniere can drive a line. Depending on what they do in the playoffs, I wouldn't even move MZ or CK this summer. It really depends on how the season ends. If it ends the way last season did, there's only three or four players I would consider keeping.

CK is one I would look to trade immediately based on what you can get back for him. MZ I would have to think about the return.