• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Start the Clock on Goodrow?

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

A buyout feels more likely, honestly. The penalty really isn't bad at all. If they did it this summer, they get a cap credit this coming season, then have basically $1M and change penalties in four of the remaining five years left. The only hurdle is a $3.5M~ penalty in 2026-27, but the cap could be upward of $100 million by then. Might be a non-issue.

By then they may have pushed reset, so it might not matter anyway. 

26 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If the options are buyout or pay a pick to dump him, I think you just pay the pick. You can recoup assets if you reset. You can't recoup the dead cap if the team is still highly competitive.

The Rangers have one 2nd round pick and one 3rd round pick remaining over the next three years. Despite the rebuild, the prospect pool is incredibly thin — they're lacking depth at center, defense, and goaltending. They've maintained their 1st round picks but those should be used on selections or trades with significant enough impact. The Rangers don't have the capital to add to a Goodrow deal.

• Keeps it 100 2

10 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The Rangers have one 2nd round pick and one 3rd round pick remaining over the next three years. Despite the rebuild, the prospect pool is incredibly thin — they're lacking depth at center, defense, and goaltending. They've maintained their 1st round picks but those should be used on selections or trades with significant enough impact. The Rangers don't have the capital to add to a Goodrow deal.

Worst rebuild ever. lol

11 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'll just say upfront that trading a pick to dump Goodrow, or buying him out, is not what I would do right now. I'd rather just work around him for now, because I still don't think $3.6M will be the reason why this team isn't hypothetically going places if we're still having this conversation in the summer.

With that said, if the choice is narrowed down to "pay to dump" vs buyout, well, avoiding a $4M dead cap in 2026 can buy you a quality NHL player, or it can give you enough extra to afford a high end player. Meanwhile, only a third of 2nd round picks even become NHL players. Plus/minus one 2nd round pick, where even if you hit won't be an NHL player until 3-4 years down the road, doesn't mean much at this point. If they hit reset mode by 2026, they have a lot of guys to dump for multiple assets to replenish the prospect pool quickly. They can also just be on the other side of taking an asset for someone else's bad cap hit.

This is not reversible:

Screenshot-2024-01-16-at-1-50-28-PM.png

And before anyone says $1M is chump change, it could be the difference between watching Nick fucking Bonino and affording a legitimate NHL player.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

If the options are buyout or pay a pick to dump him, I think you just pay the pick. You can recoup assets if you reset. You can't recoup the dead cap if the team is still highly competitive.

Yes, if it's that black and white, but it might not be. If it were that simple, he'd probably have been traded already (like when they first shopped him).

My guess is the concentric circles of teams who can take him and the teams who want him (at this price) is not a very large overlap. And that's not yet accounting for his 15-team no-trade protection.

A buyout feels more likely to me because it's the least complicated. It would also open up the market for him on options he could sign with after the fact because those teams would presumably getting him much closer to his actual AAV value.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

P.S. - Summer 2026 is the Connor McDavid sweepstakes. Don't want a $4M dead cap at that time.

93078T.jpg

I don't think we're going to have a chance when McDavid goes free.  He's said on more than one occasion that he wants to bring the Stanley Cup back to Canada and that's likely to make the sweepstakes a 3 team competition between Edmonton, Montreal and Ottawa.  I don't think he'll go to Calgary or Vancouver because of the rivalries and I don't think he'll go to Winnipeg because who in their right mind would go to Winnipeg if they had a choice?  Toronto's cap is likely to make anything but a trade unmanageable.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

If they don't sign Panarin, holy shit, what a spectacular failure it would have been.

Lafreniere has been encouraging but overall this wound up being more of a re-tool than a total rebuild. They became competitive again after about three years or so. When I think rebuild, I'm looking at a team like Chicago where you suck ass for awhile and stock up on picks. The Rangers were very fortunate they wound up with the #1 pick that season because they were a playoff contending team.

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lafreniere has been encouraging but overall this wound up being more of a re-tool than a total rebuild. They became competitive again after about three years or so. When I think rebuild, I'm looking at a team like Chicago where you suck ass for awhile and stock up on picks. The Rangers were very fortunate they wound up with the #1 pick that season because they were a playoff contending team.

The best pieces of this "rebuild" came through trades, not drafting. Lindgren (trade), Panarin (free agent), Fox (trade), even Trouba (trade).

Just now, Phil said:

The best pieces of this "rebuild" came through trades, not drafting. Lindgren (trade), Panarin (free agent), Fox (trade), even Trouba (trade).

Zibanejad too. The only real impact players through the draft have been Laf and Shesterkin. Well, I'm being generous calling referring to Laf as 'impact', but you know what I mean.

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Zibanejad too. The only real impact players through the draft have been Laf and Shesterkin. Well, I'm being generous calling referring to Laf as 'impact', but you know what I mean.

Right, and Shesterkin predates the rebuild anyway. He was drafted in 2014. Rangers' letter was 2018.

I'd argue the best impact they've gotten out of their draft picks is Miller or Chytil. Outside of them and kinda, sorta, maybe/finally Lafreniere, it's a giant bag of holy fuck this is bad. Andersson (7), Kravtsov (9), Kakko (2), Lundkvist (28). In fact, since the '18 draft, the team has exactly one roster player taken outside the first round (Cuylle, 2nd round).

Just now, Phil said:

Right, and Shesterkin predates the rebuild anyway. He was drafted in 2014. Rangers' letter was 2018.

I'd argue the best impact they've gotten out of their draft picks is Miller or Chytil. Outside of them and kinda, sorta, maybe/finally Lafreniere, it's a giant bag of holy fuck this is bad. Andersson (7), Kravtsov (9), Kakko (2), Lundkvist (28). In fact, since the '18 draft, the team has exactly one roster player taken outside the first round (Cuylle, 2nd round).

Schneider 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oof. So many wasted picks. Gordie Clark was a fucking doofus. I was hoping to add Chytil to the list along with Igor and Laf, but these concussions are devastating and this was a totally lost season. Number one, you hope his career isn't over, and number two, if it isn't, you hope he's the same and can continue to go on that upwards trajectory he was starting to show.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

He's not paid to score points, and he's not used as a guy who gets a fair shake at getting them. He's got a 29% OZ start rate, and he's frequently put behind the 8 ball and used that way so Panarin can have an 85% OZ start rate. Last year he had a 45% OZ start rate and Panarin had a 50% start rate. I think that's just good coaching.

We know Goodrow is a 30 point player when he's not used as a complete punching bag for the good of the rest of the team. How he is used has changed dramatically, which makes the point evaluation pretty worthless.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

He's not paid to score points, and he's not used as a guy who gets a fair shake at getting them. He's got a 29% OZ start rate, and he's frequently put behind the 8 ball and used that way so Panarin can have an 85% OZ start rate. Last year he had a 45% OZ start rate and Panarin had a 50% start rate. I think that's just good coaching.

We know Goodrow is a 30 point player when he's not used as a complete punching bag for the good of the rest of the team. How he is used has changed dramatically, which makes the point evaluation pretty worthless.

All of this does a great job contextualizing why he's been the "punching bag" he's been this year but does nothing to dismiss the dollar/points evaluation. Players who are used this way, by and large, do not make $3.6 million per year. They're mostly paid around a million dollars per year. Like Nick Bonino (74/26 this year, 61/39 with SJS/PIT, etc).

So, I get it, but the fact remains: he's wildly overpaid for what he offers.