• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

5 Possible Trade Partners for the Rangers

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It depends on what Miller’s trade value is. I could see a wide range of values from team to team. Some enamored with him, and some not as much.

Whatever Ranger fans think of Miller, he's absolutely a top four defenseman and he's shown it. They would be selling low if they traded him now. Depending on how he finishes the season, if there's a deal to be made around him, I'm NOT ALSO giving up my best prospect who's closest to being an NHL contributor for a forward who, while super talented, is a smallish player who is not playoff tested.

It's just a little too much. Need the prospect to be a tier below. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I like Keller a lot. 

But isn't he a LW? 

Where does he play? Where does another player that needs the puck on his stick, fit in on this roster? 

His name has come up on the want list for a while now. I really really like the player. I just don't see how he fits or improves what is already here. Mayyyybe if he was a center? But it's more of the same skillset, without the 200' game. 

For the cost it would take to get him and the position he plays, if you're just trading for a warmer body, I'd rather give similar assets and try for a Brady Tkachuk. A guy that brings something that is missing. Not more of the same. 

Keller is fantastic. But with Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and Lafrenière already here being soft skilled players..... it'd be like Toronto and Edmonton of the recent past. All skill, no D, no bite. 

Laf has an edge to him that might still turn into a physical player.  He doesn't avoid finishing his hits and he keeps his eyes open and his head up on the ice.

I definitely agree on the Tkachuk vs Keller argument.  If we're overpaying for a player lets do it for somebody who brings the missing element.

The Rangers pass like the Globetrotters but they shoot like the Generals.

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Whatever Ranger fans think of Miller, he's absolutely a top four defenseman and he's shown it. They would be selling low if they traded him now. Depending on how he finishes the season, if there's a deal to be made around him, I'm NOT ALSO giving up my best prospect who's closest to being an NHL contributor for a forward who, while super talented, is a smallish player who is not playoff tested.

It's just a little too much. Need the prospect to be a tier below. 

We disagree on the extent of Miller’s value, but that’s why I indicated a team by team range of values. Some will see top pairing potential. Others will see nothing past a 2nd pairing guy. Find the team who agrees with you. If that isn’t Arizona, don’t trade him there.

Keeping Miller or letting him go in a trade probably depends on where the Rangers think they are in the off-season.

If they're in a transitional mode away from the current core then they probably want to keep him.  If they're making one more push at a cup with this group then he is a key piece of trade value in trying to patch things for the attempt.

Current core players: Shesterkin, Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba and Trocheck.  A few of these guys will be gone if the Rangers decide to transition.

Future core players: Fox, Lafreniere, Lindgren, Miller, Schneider, Cuylle, 2024 1st, Othmann, Perreault.  A few of these pieces will be gone if the Rangers decide to boost the current core one more time.

Devalued players: Goodrow, Kakko, Chytil, Jones.

Everybody else except for Jimmy Vesey is either on an expiring contract or prospect unknown status.  Vesey is kind of unique because he adds a good piece at a perfect cap number for next season either way.

55 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I like Keller a lot. 

But isn't he a LW? 

Where does he play? Where does another player that needs the puck on his stick, fit in on this roster? 

His name has come up on the want list for a while now. I really really like the player. I just don't see how he fits or improves what is already here. Mayyyybe if he was a center? But it's more of the same skillset, without the 200' game. 

For the cost it would take to get him and the position he plays, if you're just trading for a warmer body, I'd rather give similar assets and try for a Brady Tkachuk. A guy that brings something that is missing. Not more of the same. 

Keller is fantastic. But with Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and Lafrenière already here being soft skilled players..... it'd be like Toronto and Edmonton of the recent past. All skill, no D, no bite. 

Listen… obviously all of us have been back a forth on LaFreniere. And with good reason.

But Laf is by no means a soft player.

If you see some holes or softness in his play, that’s fine.

Here’s the bottom line with him though…

He’s still very much a developing player.

Period.

Full stop.

We wanted more and different from him.

It’s starting to come.

More is coming.

But there is real snarl, nastiness, physicality and strength there.

And he’s finding his Alpha again too.

That was the Rangers mistake cause they buried him.

The injury was a freak accident, but he was backwards against the boards and when Sergachev, who is 6’1”-6’2” and roughly 220 lbs hit him, Laf put him on his ass like he was made of paper mache.

On Keller… he can play either W no problem.

And having more guys with skill who want the puck is a good problem to have. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Sergachev was definitely trying to run Laf and got the worst of it.  The injury was not the leg that got tied up with Laf but the left leg when he hit the ice.  Must have been a lot of weight landing on a very small part of the leg to break both bones.

I don't think anybody is going to try to run Laf again in that way any time soon.

Edited by Br4d

10 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Sergachev was definitely trying to run Laf and got the worst of it.  The injury was not the leg that got tied up with Laf but the left leg when he hit the ice.  Must have been a lot of weight landing on a very small part of the leg to break both bones.

I don't think anybody is going to try to run Laf again in that way any time soon.

It was just a freak accident.  His leg came down and the toe of his blade get stuck in the ice as his body kept going.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

It was just a freak accident.  His leg came down and the toe of his blade get stuck in the ice as his body kept going.

The break may have been a freak accident but nobody expects to get dumped on their ass when they come at somebody from the rear like that.

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Listen… obviously all of us have been back a forth on LaFreniere. And with good reason.

But Laf is by no means a soft player.

If you see some holes or softness in his play, that’s fine.

Here’s the bottom line with him though…

He’s still very much a developing player.

Period.

Full stop.

We wanted more and different from him.

It’s starting to come.

More is coming.

But there is real snarl, nastiness, physicality and strength there.

And he’s finding his Alpha again too.

That was the Rangers mistake cause they buried him.

The injury was a freak accident, but he was backwards against the boards and when Sergachev, who is 6’1”-6’2” and roughly 220 lbs hit him, Laf put him on his ass like he was made of paper mache.

On Keller… he can play either W no problem.

And having more guys with skill who want the puck is a good problem to have. 

bored jack nicholson GIF

Nah. He doesn't have snarl. He's not really physical. Period. Full stop. Exclamation point. 

He's a skilled forward that is easily knocked off the puck. Hes not a net front presence. He isn't skating over defenders. He's not throwing hits all over the ice. 

Let's just leave him be as a forward that is putting it together to get to a respectable compete level and is doing an very good job at it. We don't know what he actually is away from Panarin, but this is good training for him. It will hopefully instill better work habits and a way to look at the game in a different way. 

I disagree with the thought that more guys with skill that want the puck being a good thing.  Such a trait is kinda why Kakko can not find his footing here.

You can absolutely have too many guys who need the puck on their stick.  We already have that. They need shooters and north south net crashers. Not another guy who wants to weave around everyone and dish. They need trigger men. They need guys to feed pucks. Panarin, Zibanejad and Fox hold the puck long enough and adding another guy similar to that gets us nowhere. Atleast Chytil was a guy that was able to put his head down and shoot. It would have been interesting to see how many feeds he could have buried off if Panarin and Lafrenière feeds.

Keller probably shoots more than Zibanejad and Fox,  but he's definitely a guy who has to have the puck on his stick for long periods, to create. Putting him with Zibanejad,  I feel isn't a good fit for him. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

bored jack nicholson GIF

Nah. He doesn't have snarl. He's not really physical. Period. Full stop. Exclamation point. 

He's a skilled forward that is easily knocked off the puck. Hes not a net front presence. He isn't skating over defenders. He's not throwing hits all over the ice. 

Let's just leave him be as a forward that is putting it together to get to a respectable compete level and is doing an very good job at it. We don't know what he actually is away from Panarin, but this is good training for him. It will hopefully instill better work habits and a way to look at the game in a different way. 

I disagree with the thought that more guys with skill that want the puck being a good thing.  Such a trait is kinda why Kakko can not find his footing here.

You can absolutely have too many guys who need the puck on their stick.  We already have that. They need shooters and north south net crashers. Not another guy who wants to weave around everyone and dish. They need trigger men. They need guys to feed pucks. Panarin, Zibanejad and Fox hold the puck long enough and adding another guy similar to that gets us nowhere. Atleast Chytil was a guy that was able to put his head down and shoot. It would have been interesting to see how many feeds he could have buried off if Panarin and Lafrenière feeds.

Keller probably shoots more than Zibanejad and Fox,  but he's definitely a guy who has to have the puck on his stick for long periods, to create. Putting him with Zibanejad,  I feel isn't a good fit for him. 

Yeah ummm… disagree.

Laf plays buck nasty when he wants to and he’s on the way to finding the switch for that being the norm. 

And the narrative about his compete and work habits is overblown and that’s established.

He just needs to grow.

And he grows into a player you don’t want to play against. 

The problem with Zib is this… he’s the shooter and he feels he needs to distribute because he can and he plays C, and that’s what’s traditionally expected. Plus there’s this bromance thing with CK and they overpass to set each other up. 

Which isn’t them. 

The fact that they are shooting less is a product of the staff hammering that in and it translates to them struggling to find out ways to achieve that objective practically. 
That’s difficult and takes time but I think there is a heater coming.

Keller would be great for him.

They could share carriage duty. Keller could take more cause of his speed and dish to Zib towards the middle.

Thats actually what’s most ideal for him.

A player on the RW who can skate and carry and create, with enough of a shooting threat to create space.

Thats Keller. 
That’s what Zib needs

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

Because Laf is gonna be a brick shithouse when he’s actually a man. 

You guys are the experts here but this guy needs a new team as he is way off from last year. Based on this year he may hit 50/55 points so what would it take to get Thompson from Buffalo or even Caulfield from Montreal?  Bring back Mackie on D and this is a huge upgrade in size

Edited by Blueshirts1926

24 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah ummm… disagree.

Laf plays buck nasty when he wants to and he’s on the way to finding the switch for that being the norm. 

And the narrative about his compete and work habits is overblown and that’s established.

He just needs to grow.

And he grows into a player you don’t want to play against. 

The problem with Zib is this… he’s the shooter and he feels he needs to distribute because he can and he plays C, and that’s what’s traditionally expected. Plus there’s this bromance thing with CK and they overpass to set each other up. 

Which isn’t them. 

The fact that they are shooting less is a product of the staff hammering that in and it translates to them struggling to find out ways to achieve that objective practically. 
That’s difficult and takes time but I think there is a heater coming.

Keller would be great for him.

They could share carriage duty. Keller could take more cause of his speed and dish to Zib towards the middle.

Thats actually what’s most ideal for him.

A player on the RW who can skate and carry and create, with enough of a shooting threat to create space.

Thats Keller. 
That’s what Zib needs

I disagree with every single thing here. Like, all of it. Completely opposite on all of this.

Ah well. 

1 hour ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

You guys are the experts here but this guy needs a new team as he is way off from last year. Based on this year he may hit 50/55 points so what would it take to get Thompson from Buffalo or even Caulfield from Montreal?  Bring back Mackie on D and this is a huge upgrade in size

What are you talking about? 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I disagree with every single thing here. Like, all of it. Completely opposite on all of this.

Ah well. 

Hey dude… that’s fine and you are entitled to that so cheers.

Don’t know what you’re watching though.

Also… it’s not 1999 anymore.

The physicality you’re talking about no longer exists.

No one runs over anyone anymore because they can’t get away with it.

Not sure what you’re looking for in real terms. That no longer translates.

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Also… it’s not 1999 anymore.

The physicality you’re talking about no longer exists.

No one runs over anyone anymore because they can’t get away with it.

Not sure what you’re looking for in real terms. That no longer translates.

I guess I should have worded that part better. When I said running over defenders, I meant more along the lines of skating through them with the puck. Pretty much what we see when most forwards skate through Miller. 

I'm talking overpower. I'm talking dominance. Not losing the puck on a poke check. Shielding the puck with the body. Creating lanes to the net by just going through defenders 

The physicality I speak of, certainly does exist. Players still crowd the net. Players still crash the net... Players still play a physical game in the offensive zone. 

Lafrenière does none of this particularly well. And that's OK. I'm not expecting it.

Somehow you feel that he plays physical. I mean you called it "buck nasty"  What ever that means (Charlie Murphy character?).  I fail to see it. This is a narrative you've been trying to pass off for a while now. It's just not there. 

Plus you said it was established that the talk about his work ethic and compete level was overblown and its been established as a false narrative?  Yeah no. He fixed that. It's showing in his skating. It was a problem and will still be noted as such until he completes the season. 

Skilled winger, who is easily knocked off the puck and has physical limitations like any other skill player. Hes yet to create an abundance of his own chances. Hes not a net front guy. Hes not going to skate the puck through defenders and to the net.(often). Hes not going to crash the net. 

It's not a knock. It's not shitting on him. It's just what it is. It's not something that should be expected. But it will be called out when people suggest he is physical.

The Tkachuks are physical. Sam Bennet is physical. Kadri is physical. Tom Wilson is physical. 

The last word that pops in peoples mind when they hear the name Lafrenière, is physical. 

The Rangers need a goon to protect their stars.  Officials are back to just calling 5 on 5 majors for fighting.  Igor was run into during the Chicago game and had to protect himself.  Totally ridiculous to me.  Igor had a groin injury in November and that is why some players are running into him with their sticks in his legs and pads.  I'd do the same thing UNLESS I thought I might get jumped later in the game or at the moment.  Fox was hurt last fall too and the more games I watch the more it looks like other teams are running at him.  They would not do that if the Rangers had a goon protecting him.  Last night the Maple Leafs cross checked a Senator for taking a slap shot into an open net.  Good for them!  Teams need to protect themselves and demand respect in hockey.  The Rangers need to protect themselves, their star players and demand respect on the ice, especially if the refs aren't going to call extra penalties; and even then who cares, take the penalties anyway and demand respect.  That's how the stars gain the room they need to be stars during a game.  My favorite story: in 1988 when Bob Probert made the all star team everyone wanted to meet Wayne Gretzky but Wayne Gretzky wanted to meet Bob Probert.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I guess I should have worded that part better. When I said running over defenders, I meant more along the lines of skating through them with the puck. Pretty much what we see when most forwards skate through Miller. 

I'm talking overpower. I'm talking dominance. Not losing the puck on a poke check. Shielding the puck with the body. Creating lanes to the net by just going through defenders 

The physicality I speak of, certainly does exist. Players still crowd the net. Players still crash the net... Players still play a physical game in the offensive zone. 

Lafrenière does none of this particularly well. And that's OK. I'm not expecting it.

Somehow you feel that he plays physical. I mean you called it "buck nasty"  What ever that means (Charlie Murphy character?).  I fail to see it. This is a narrative you've been trying to pass off for a while now. It's just not there. 

Plus you said it was established that the talk about his work ethic and compete level was overblown and its been established as a false narrative?  Yeah no. He fixed that. It's showing in his skating. It was a problem and will still be noted as such until he completes the season. 

Skilled winger, who is easily knocked off the puck and has physical limitations like any other skill player. Hes yet to create an abundance of his own chances. Hes not a net front guy. Hes not going to skate the puck through defenders and to the net.(often). Hes not going to crash the net. 

It's not a knock. It's not shitting on him. It's just what it is. It's not something that should be expected. But it will be called out when people suggest he is physical.

The Tkachuks are physical. Sam Bennet is physical. Kadri is physical. Tom Wilson is physical. 

The last word that pops in peoples mind when they hear the name Lafrenière, is physical. 

Ok

You’re entitled to that.

And I respect your position despite lack of true basis. 

But here’s the bigger question…

Whats your solution to it?

Sell the furniture and burn it down?

The Tkachuk brothers are unicorns.

Kadri is difference maker but he’s moving out of his prime and he causes as much trouble as he gives.

Tom Wilson has a good skill set but he’s never been elite.

Bennett took years to get good. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Ok

You’re entitled to that.

And I respect your position despite lack of true basis. 

But here’s the bigger question…

Whats your solution to it?

Sell the furniture and burn it down?

The Tkachuk brothers are unicorns.

Kadri is difference maker but he’s moving out of his prime and he causes as much trouble as he gives.

Tom Wilson has a good skill set but he’s never been elite.

Bennett took years to get good. 

Lack of true basis how? Cause you say so? 

I was giving examples of player's who play physical games, because you dont seem to grasp the concept of what that means. You said such players dont exist anymore. I wasn't naming players that the Rangers need to target. 

I'm not saying they need to burn it down or anything. I'm saying they are lacking such players. Lots of teams are. I'm saying they don't need another finesse forward that needs to carry the puck. I'm saying Lafrenière isn't a physical force or very physical at all. 

How to get such a player or something close to it has been discussed many times here. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Lack of true basis how? Cause you say so? 

I was giving examples of player's who play physical games, because you dont seem to grasp the concept of what that means. You said such players dont exist anymore. I wasn't naming players that the Rangers need to target. 

I'm not saying they need to burn it down or anything. I'm saying they are lacking such players. Lots of teams are. I'm saying they don't need another finesse forward that needs to carry the puck. I'm saying Lafrenière isn't a physical force or very physical at all. 

How to get such a player or something close to it has been discussed many times here. 

Yeah.

I get it.

Id love either Tkachuk brother.

But they have DNA from a dad that is borderline HOF’er who scored 50 a few times. Not someone who is an accountant in the GTA and had money.
So yeah. That’s kind of uncommon.

Or that “physical force” you are talking about. 

What players bang in traffic anymore all the time? 
What forward dominates because of overwhelming physicality? 
Who just bowls over defensemen while going to the net?

I get the concept plenty.

In 1999.

There were plenty.

In modernity…?
Im struggling for names here.

There are so few of them now though cause the game is different.

Disagree about Laf though.

Wait and see.

He is starting to use his body that way, in the modern scope of the game.

I’d love for them to have a player like like. Problem is that in a league of 650 players, like 12 of those guys truly exist. 

Those guys are once in a million players.

BTW… Fox, Panarin, and Igor are those guys too. Just in a different way.

And you can win with that. 

Lafreniere is mostly everything I thought the top 6 has been missing. He’s talented, not afraid to hit or take a hit to make a play, he goes to the net, he can forecheck, and he doesn’t mind physical contact at all.

Cuylle, too. Not as talented with the puck as Lafreniere, but bigger and more impactful in the hitting department. He’s been a welcome addition.

The team just needs a bit more of this mindset still IMO.

• Keeps it 100 2