• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Arizona Coyotes Relocated to Utah

2 hours ago, Pete said:

He's a shrewd and cunning scumbag. It was a money grab all along. This guy could care less about hockey or hockey in Arizona.

I think the most scumbag thing he did was go out in that press conference with Bettman and look for sympathy.

No one bought it. The power of the internet in this generation means everything is public knowledge and he tried covering up so much shit and pretended he cared.

Do what you gotta do. But stop acting like anyone owes you any depth of gratitude as you do what you do.

10 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Absolutely. No one is going back to rerun this story in the desert. It was doomed from the beginning; every season was talk about how they can't fill an arena. It's the location, it's the lack of stars, its terrible management, etc etc etc. 

I think we see another Texas team before Arizona is even thought of again.

No doubt. I think they want to expand to Houston.

• Like 1

When the Coyotes first began pursuing state trust in northeast Phoenix, they were under the impression that, given its C-2 designation, it was zoned for an arena. The Legacy Sports Project had the same zoning designation in place ahead of an ill-fated, multi-sheet youth hockey complex.

The Arizona Republic first noted in December that the land in question might not be zoned for an area of this scale and PHNX Sports confirmed that with City of Phoenix officials. 

Although the Coyotes had a different interpretation of the wording of C-2 designations, they have known for a while that they would need a special use permit. What likely drove the Meruelos to pursue the land in spite of the zoning issue was timing. Commissioner Gary Bettman gave the team until the end of the 2023-24 season to have a credible solution in place. An attorney familiar with the acquisition of a special use permit said it can take eight to 10 months, so Meruelo may have chosen to risk acquiring the land and then seek the permit so that he could meet Bettman’s deadline.

It’s unclear when the NHL will officially announce the decision, but when asked previously what would happen to the market if Meruelo were to depart, Daly said that, “Arizona becomes like every other potential expansion city.” 

PHNX is aware of at least two groups with interest in bringing an expansion team back to Arizona, but it will be hard to gauge their level of interest and ability until they can formally enter the fray and the process begins.

https://gophnx.com/sources-alex-meruelo-walking-away-from-coyotes/

One thing I want to clear up about the Coyotes. So, with the players and staff being transferred to what is now a new expansion franchise, the Coyotes, are apparently an inactive franchise. Their current owner walked away. So, if they can't find new owners and a building to play in within a set time period, will the Coyotes franchise fold entirely? It would be like what happened to the Golden Seals. They moved from California to Cleveland for two years, and then folded completely.

10 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

One thing I want to clear up about the Coyotes. So, with the players and staff being transferred to what is now a new expansion franchise, the Coyotes, are apparently an inactive franchise. Their current owner walked away. So, if they can't find new owners and a building to play in within a set time period, will the Coyotes franchise fold entirely? It would be like what happened to the Golden Seals. They moved from California to Cleveland for two years, and then folded completely.

I think all that bullshit should be put aside now that Meruelo is out of the picture and Utah should have direct lineage to Arizona and back to Winnipeg.  Has any of that nonsense ever happen before?  Moving an entire franchise but saving the name and lineage "just in case" a deal can be worked out for the previous owner?  This was a straight up sale.  This nonsense about selling it to the league so the league can sell it to the new owner, its all bullshit.  

And the bullshit continues with not naming the Utah team for a year.  For crying out loud, why is that so hard?  Don't you want to start building an identity from Day One?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

And the bullshit continues with not naming the Utah team for a year.  For crying out loud, why is that so hard?  Don't you want to start building an identity from Day One?

More important thing getting it done quick is getting it done right. 

They didn't have enough time before this season started to come up with the branding. These things don't happen overnight. 

The mistake was letting the charade go on too long in Phoenix instead of just moving the team before they went into a college stadium. 

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Will be interesting to see the changes over the next couple of summers, but for now, it should be an interesting view come January 16th.

Untitled.png

Why would you keep that? Just take away the like... two seats that cause the overhang and it's fine?

4 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

i've never been to Utah.  Those seats are a good reason to go now for me

I'd wait until they are in a new arena or they refurbish the Delta Center.  

Apparently the arena is like the Barclays Center and we know how shitty that was for hockey

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

I'd wait until they are in a new arena or they refurbish the Delta Center.  

Apparently the arena is like the Barclays Center and we know how shitty that was for hockey

No, i want to sit in that section over the ice