• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Panthers — Eastern Conference Final General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

I lucked out and was there in person last night with my wife and daughter.

I was shocked to see Wheeler in the lineup.

You think he looked slow all season?

You think he looked slow on TV last night?

Believe you me, in person, last night, after not playing for 4 months, he looked like he was in slow motion. 

That guy can’t be in the lineup. 

Wheeler was the least of the Rangers problems.  He was better than Zib, Panarin, Kreider.......FFS he was one of the more engaged players last night.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Blake Wheeler was trailing the play on the game-winning goal last night.  Just saying (again.)

That was 100% on Zib for the idiotic play along the offensive blue line. 

There is literally zero finger pointing on Wheeler for that.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 2

13 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Wheeler was the least of the Rangers problems.  He was better than Zib, Panarin, Kreider.......FFS he was one of the more engaged players last night.  

I was speaking of that… just particularly how slow he is at this point. 

6 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

I'll add to this - in that situation, Wheeler has two options: Take the penalty or let Alex Barkov get a clean-as-fuck look on Igor with the game on the line.

I love Igor and trust him to make big saves, but I'm taking that penalty every time because our PK will probably not give anyone that clean a look, let alone Barkov. Sounds dumb because we lost on a PPG, but...in the moment that's my thinking.

• Keeps it 100 2

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah, the team played as well as they can play against the Kings and still lost. 

This team is not playing their best hockey right now. Some of it is what the Panthers are doing and some of it is what they're doing to themselves. 

To me, that's indistinguishable. We've seen that this Rangers team can keep pace with this Panthers team, but they're mostly beating them on special teams, not at even strength, and this Rangers team is continuing to show us that when the Panthers turn it on, the Rangers have no answer. It's hope and prayer and requiring Igor to play like a god.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

Cuylle was streaking to the net on the play too. I think if Zibanejad just throws a low hard shot on net there’s a good chance for a deflection, screen, or rebound. That pass was straight out of playoff Panarin’s cookbook from years past.

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'll add to this - in that situation, Wheeler has two options: Take the penalty or let Alex Barkov get a clean-as-fuck look on Igor with the game on the line.

I love Igor and trust him to make big saves, but I'm taking that penalty every time because our PK will probably not give anyone that clean a look, let alone Barkov. Sounds dumb because we lost on a PPG, but...in the moment that's my thinking.

Wheeler has to take the penalty.  I actually think Barkov should've been awarded a penalty shot.

• Keeps it 100 2

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Wheeler has to take the penalty.  I actually think Barkov should've been awarded a penalty shot.

I was thinking penalty shot. Then Igor stops

It ala richter on bure 

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

This is just playoff hockey. There are some minor tweaks available, but it's just time to figure it out. You have to dig deep and find a way. If you can't, you can't, but that's what has to be done. 

Fortunes can change on a dime. Lucky bounces can change career arcs. When you think you're fucked, you figure it out. When you think you've figured it out, you're fucked. These series' are played on a proverbial Plinko board, all they can do at this point is to play it out.

• Keeps it 100 3

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd almost rather Gauthier. At least he went to the net. Roslovic stinks.

Indeed. We talk about other lineup changes. How about sitting him for a bit? Can't afford another empty uniform in the lineup.

32 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle was streaking to the net on the play too. I think if Zibanejad just throws a low hard shot on net there’s a good chance for a deflection, screen, or rebound. That pass was straight out of playoff Panarin’s cookbook from years past.

Yeah, I’m still angry about it tbh. 
In that situation, in OT in the conference finals, you simply cannot play a marginal pass along the blueline. I mean, your coach would take your head off for that in bantams.
You put it on net or, if you can’t, put it in the corner. Total school boy stuff. 

• Keeps it 100 3

Alright. I'm going to put a positive spin on all of this because this team does in fact deserve better than our conditional love this season.

Show of hands - who among you would have signed up for "we'll head back to MSG tied" when the puck dropped on game 1? Those of you not raising your hands are liars, that's fine.

We got WORKED in Florida. No doubt. Still won a game. Still 2-2. Just win the home games and we go on to the finals. Want my optimism? We won 2 games with no contributions from the PP, nothing from Kreider, nothing from Zib, no goal from Panarin, and frankly, a shaky few PK games. Those won't last. Mika and Kreider will connect for PPGs in game 5. Panarin will not stay dormant forever. Our PP and PK will not regress to the mean. 

Just win game 5 and go from there. Panthers don't have room to improve. We do - and that their best is barely enough to pip out an OT win with the ice as tilted as it was tells me enough to believe they can be had.

• Bullseye 1
  • Believe 5

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

Alright. I'm going to put a positive spin on all of this because this team does in fact deserve better than our conditional love this season.

Show of hands - who among you would have signed up for "we'll head back to MSG tied" when the puck dropped on game 1? Those of you not raising your hands are liars, that's fine.

We got WORKED in Florida. No doubt. Still won a game. Still 2-2. Just win the home games and we go on to the finals. Want my optimism? We won 2 games with no contributions from the PP, nothing from Kreider, nothing from Zib, no goal from Panarin, and frankly, a shaky few PK games. Those won't last. Mika and Kreider will connect for PPGs in game 5. Panarin will not stay dormant forever. Our PP and PK will not regress to the mean. 

Just win game 5 and go from there. Panthers don't have room to improve. We do - and that their best is barely enough to pip out an OT win with the ice as tilted as it was tells me enough to believe they can be had.

I’ll happily raise my hand. We’re still in about as good a position as you could hope to be in a conference finals series. It is certainly not over and the obituaries are premature. 

That being said, I retain the right to be fucking seething for another day or two about the fact that we had a 50/50 shot of having FLA over a barrel and coughed it up on a hideous play by a guy who really should know better.

3 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Me, but that's because I believed the Rangers to be fairly sized underdogs. It's a position you take when you believe it to be an uphill battle.

If I were a Panthers fan, I would not have signed up for it. I would have believed in a 3-1 lead with potential for a sweep, and 2-2 is a worst case of sorts.

Anyway, I agree with the general premise, however. Basically just erase the previous 4 games. They never happened. It's a best of 3. The odds are probably still the same. Florida 65%, Rangers 35%.

• Like 1

Just now, Gravesy said:

I’ll happily raise my hand. We’re still in about as good a position as you could hope to be in a conference finals series. It is certainly not over and the obituaries are premature. 

That being said, I retain the right to be fucking seething for another day or two about the fact that we had a 50/50 shot of having FLA over a barrel and coughed it up on a hideous play by a guy who really should know better.

Despite some rough spots, have a 3 game series  for a Cup Finals berth with home ice, Igor and Laffy on fire, and our top 2 lines haven't done much. If you were given that as an option around October 1st, you would sign up for it in a heartbeat. Not being Pollyanna, but realistic. This is never going to be easy. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is why the regular season/Pres trophy does matter, win 2 out of 3 with 2 home games? The table is set.

Bingo. This is why you fought for two home games. Two games where you have the tactical edge, can play matchup games, can feed off the crowd. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The odds are probably still the same. Florida 65%, Rangers 35%.

Given it’s 2 games at MSG, my feeling is it’s closer to a coin flip.

Edited by Gravesy
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

100% a penalty shot. The call was Holding, but the rulebook refers Holding (54) to Tripping (57). 

zgf2JXx.png

• Keeps it 100 1

Not sure of Igor’s breakaway/penalty shot/shoot out save percentage but I’m pretty sure it’s pretty high.  Right now I have more faith in Igor stopping Barkov if he was awarded a penalty shot than I have in the pk.  

Anyone else wanna see Cuylle moved up to the 1RW slot? I really think his speed and forechecking can help get the 1st line going at even strength, and he’s got a good nose for the net himself as well. 

2 hours ago, siddious said:

I was thinking penalty shot. Then Igor stops

It ala richter on bure 

I was hoping for a penalty shot.  I liked our chances on that better than a two minute kill at that point.

• Bullseye 1