• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECF #3: Rangers vs. Florida Panthers — Starts With a W!

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

LMAO. A deserve to win o' meter? Give me a break. 

It’s truly incredible that the Rangers have gotten no goals from Panarin, Mika and Kreider, have Adam Fox playing on one leg, are 0-for-8 on the PP, yet somehow are up two games to one in this series.

Boy have Igor, Goodrow, Igor, Lafrenière, Igor and Igor stepped up.

• Bullseye 1
  • Believe 2

Posted (edited)

Panthers will shoot for "even more frenetic" next game and I think they will just start to make more odd-man break mistakes in their haste. Opportunities for us.  Bread and Mika really need to bury some of those . The final pass has not quite  been there lately.  Mr. Kreider is invited to this dance as well.

If we get ahead on Tuesday I expect a meltdown of sorts from them.

<edited to add>

I do not think Panarin will be the target. Why Bother?  Almost certainly Igor then.  They will think (correctly) that running Igor will cause the Rangers to over react. 

Edited by Kick save and a beauty

4 minutes ago, RangersLEETCH said:

It’s truly incredible that the Rangers have gotten no goals from Panarin, Mika and Kreider, have Adam Fox playing on one leg, are 0-for-8 on the PP, yet somehow are up two games to one in this series.

Boy have Igor, Goodrow, Igor, Lafrenière, Igor and Igor stepped up.

Depth and great goaltending getting them through. Florida is just a very tough team to play against, especially defensively. Their defense is damn good overall, and they've really neutralized these guys. Honestly you can say that about a lot of good players in the playoffs. You see it where the teams always cover the top players of the other team, and it's up to your role players and other guys to step up.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

That's the beautiful chaos of hockey. He's the only reason they won, but he let up to complete dog shit goals. 

Could not disagree more with this. 

The first goal started with a failed clear by Miller, who compounded his mistake by pinching. Reinhart got position and got in tight. Shesterkin could have kept better position but that’s a high danger chance. 

The second goal was also off a failed clearance attempt and his 5 hole opened up as the puck slid across the crease. Not too much he can do there. 

The third goal was a fluke bounce off Barkov. Initially, I thought Shesterkin was out of position, but not too much you can do on a redirect. 

The fourth goal was an absolute snipe by someone not known for his offense. Shesterkin had perfect position. Just a better shot.  

There is a difference between letting in soft goals vs. being on the unfortunate end of bad bounces. This was more the latter. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Dem said:

Well Red White you should probably give up now and cry defeat. I'm sure there's some soccer to watch!

In fact, quite the opposite. It goes to show you what having a hot goaltender can do come postseason time. You can steal games (and series) that you have no business winning. 

This has been the Rangers motto all season. Slow starts and exciting finishes. Late leads and holding your breath. It hasn’t always been pretty, and the stats suggest they are not the best team in hockey, but they continue to find a way as they did tonight. And what happens when they start getting production from the top line? What happens if the power play clicks? What happens if the penalty kill has a resurgence? 

Four more games to win 2 games. Four more games to avoid losing 3 games. 

Florida is a touch matchup for the Rangers, just as the Hurricanes were. They play similar styles with more high end talent and better goaltending. They can really stimy our elite talent. But with Igor in net, the Rangers will continue to be in every game. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

💯 

You keep seeing graphics thrown up about how this is Reinhart first power play goal in X-Tries, same with Barkov, this is just kind of what happens in the playoffs where great players sometimes get the better of other great players... But only Rangers fans be like "oh so predictable hurrndurrr that my guy got shot down oydoy...". Bullshit and bullshit and blah blah blah. 

At the trade deadline everybody wants depth because they say depth the wins, But then when we need depth to win, all of a sudden that's a problem... Everybody was complaining that wenberg couldn't score, but now that he scored everybody would complain that he had to score for the Rangers to win. 

This is the kind of bullshit we're dealing with out here. 

Of course. But it also has to do with Zibanejad, Kreider and Panarin (not to mention Fox) continuing to have bad stretches and putting so much pressure on the depth. They are the only remaining team that doesn’t have two goals from two defenders. They only have two total goals from defense both on the penalty kill. 

They are paying the top 3 (or 4) guys almost $25M and they are not getting the constant production or effort. But this team has continued to have someone step up each night, tonight it was Laf, Goody and Wennberg. It’s working even though it’s not pretty for long stretches. 

If the top guys get going, look out, because this team reaches another level with the goaltending it is getting. 

At the end of the day, I do not care who is scoring so long as the wins keep coming. But it would be nice if the Rangers had dominance from one line where 55-4 shot advantage was even a possibility (like it was with Thachuk tonight)

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Dare I say we change his emoji to something more flattering, or keep up with tradition?

How bout a bitten donut in the shape of a C...and put a crown on it

• Applause 1

What a game!!  Agreed with everyone saying the top guys need to get going.  

One observation on Mica— he’s become essentially a defensive center out there and seems to be really prioritizing the defensive aspect of the game over his offense right now, but he’s not really doing that all that well either.  That icing that led to the Florida goal was inexcusable.  He had time, space and yet still iced the puck.  If I’m the coach I’m telling Mica to balance his game- get back to skating with the puck, get back to looking for some offense and let the defensive aspects of his game be there.  To me it looks like Mica is playing a game in which he’s almost 100% titled towards defensive minded play and he needs a recalibration.

2 hours ago, JHS said:

What a game!!  Agreed with everyone saying the top guys need to get going.  

One observation on Mica— he’s become essentially a defensive center out there and seems to be really prioritizing the defensive aspect of the game over his offense right now, but he’s not really doing that all that well either.  That icing that led to the Florida goal was inexcusable.  He had time, space and yet still iced the puck.  If I’m the coach I’m telling Mica to balance his game- get back to skating with the puck, get back to looking for some offense and let the defensive aspects of his game be there.  To me it looks like Mica is playing a game in which he’s almost 100% titled towards defensive minded play and he needs a recalibration.

I think he is being coached to do exactly that (prioritize defense) in this series. Florida is mostly a top heavy team and I think we have more talent and ability to score w 3rd n fourth lines. I could be wrong but it makes sense and that's what I'm seeing. 

7 hours ago, Red White and Brew said:

Of course. But it also has to do with Zibanejad, Kreider and Panarin (not to mention Fox) continuing to have bad stretches and putting so much pressure on the depth. They are the only remaining team that doesn’t have two goals from two defenders. They only have two total goals from defense both on the penalty kill. 

They are paying the top 3 (or 4) guys almost $25M and they are not getting the constant production or effort. But this team has continued to have someone step up each night, tonight it was Laf, Goody and Wennberg. It’s working even though it’s not pretty for long stretches. 

If the top guys get going, look out, because this team reaches another level with the goaltending it is getting. 

At the end of the day, I do not care who is scoring so long as the wins keep coming. But it would be nice if the Rangers had dominance from one line where 55-4 shot advantage was even a possibility (like it was with Thachuk tonight)

This would not be the first playoff series where the top six cancel each other out and depth makes the difference. 

This is normally welcomed, but for Ranger fans it's a problem. I don't really understand it, but at the end of the day I'm going to celebrate the winds no matter how they come. I don't need to spend each moment between one game and the next talking about how bad the team is and how they don't deserve to win anything.

7 hours ago, Red White and Brew said:

Could not disagree more with this. 

The first goal started with a failed clear by Miller, who compounded his mistake by pinching. Reinhart got position and got in tight. Shesterkin could have kept better position but that’s a high danger chance. 

The second goal was also off a failed clearance attempt and his 5 hole opened up as the puck slid across the crease. Not too much he can do there. 

The third goal was a fluke bounce off Barkov. Initially, I thought Shesterkin was out of position, but not too much you can do on a redirect. 

The fourth goal was an absolute snipe by someone not known for his offense. Shesterkin had perfect position. Just a better shot.  

There is a difference between letting in soft goals vs. being on the unfortunate end of bad bounces. This was more the latter. 

You're going through four goals and I only said two of them were dog shit. 

The Reinhart goal is a flubbed backhand from no angle that snuck through him. The one off Trouba's foot he just completely went to over commit.

Doesn't really matter, he more than redeemed himself. But I feel if you asked him he'd say he wants those back.

End of the day they got to win and that's all that matters. 

14 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

They left Wennberg all alone, in front of their goalie, in between 3 defenders, who did nothing.

They blew a coverage off a faceoff in their own end and got caught standing around. 

We’ve seen this movie many, many times.