• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECF #3: Rangers vs. Florida Panthers — Starts With a W!

I don't think it was robbery. This was playoff hockey, and the Rangers answered the call. You know what you're going to get when you play Florida. Their game plan is to hit, make it hard to find room to skate and to frustrate for a full 60, forcing mistakes that they can capitalize on. They did that, scoring 2, maybe 3 goals that I'm sure Igor would like to have back. Yet, the Rangers never backed down, did not wilt under the pressure and just kept going, pulling out a much needed win on the road.

I thought most of the penalties were nonsense, and one sided. If you're going to call it one way, then call it the other. Or, just let them play. Having said that, I will be expecting more of the same for game 4.

And finally, when someone in a different colored jersey attempts to skate to the front of the net, put a body on him. There are times where Miller plays well, and most other times where he plays like he's 5' 9" and a 160 pounds. That won't work against the Panthers. For this series anyway, he needs to put his big boy pants on.

• Keeps it 100 1

The defense has to get shored up somehow.  Nobody is having a good series in the defensive zone except for Igor and he's starting to get stretched some as indicated by the 4 goals he gave up yesterday, which could have been 6 pretty easily.

The penalties look lopsided but that's what happens when you are pinned in your own zone and can't make changes.

14 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

I don't think it was robbery. This was playoff hockey, and the Rangers answered the call. You know what you're going to get when you play Florida. Their game plan is to hit, make it hard to find room to skate and to frustrate for a full 60, forcing mistakes that they can capitalize on. They did that, scoring 2, maybe 3 goals that I'm sure Igor would like to have back. Yet, the Rangers never backed down, did not wilt under the pressure and just kept going, pulling out a much needed win on the road.

I thought most of the penalties were nonsense, and one sided. If you're going to call it one way, then call it the other. Or, just let them play. Having said that, I will be expecting more of the same for game 4.

And finally, when someone in a different colored jersey attempts to skate to the front of the net, put a body on him. There are times where Miller plays well, and most other times where he plays like he's 5' 9" and a 160 pounds. That won't work against the Panthers. For this series anyway, he needs to put his big boy pants on.

Apparently it still can. I think what we’ve seen is that despite everybody’s warts, if they get contributions from enough other guys ala Lafreniere and Goody, and Igor plays elite in crunch time, it doesn’t seem to matter.

Miller is soft and that’s well documented. I don’t like it, but you know who else makes soft plays? Kulikov dropping down to a knee and pokechecking instead of taking the body when he got undressed by Lafreniere. Florida letting a double screen happen on the first Goodrow goal. Florida letting Wennberg sit all alone in front of Bob on the game winner.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

33 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The defense has to get shored up somehow.  Nobody is having a good series in the defensive zone except for Igor and he's starting to get stretched some as indicated by the 4 goals he gave up yesterday, which could have been 6 pretty easily.

The penalties look lopsided but that's what happens when you are pinned in your own zone and can't make changes.

The Rangers will have a game where they get favored too. 

A game is coming in this series where their PP gets going.

And I think we may see an Igor shutout too. 

• Believe 1

16 hours ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

This year, the top 6 has predictably vanished after the first two rounds, but we're finding a way. We keep saying "if Kreider, Zib and Panarin come alive, watch out," but I don't think that awakening is forthcoming. This is who they are and what they do year after year. The difference this time around is we can overcome it. 

I mostly agree with you, especially with your highlighted sentence.

On the other hand, I am not ready to give up on the three top players, with six more wins to go. Just like Kreider did in game six against the Craniacs, any of the these three can have a huge game in the remaining games. Let's just wait until the season is over sometimes in June, prior to judging their performance during the playoff....

The 3 vets are having issues because it is a very physical series.  Zib also has extreme defensive responsibilities at this point with Barkov, Verhaeghe and Reinhart.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

18 hours ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Dude, I can’t take anymore of this shit. I think I’m just gonna sit back and I’m not gonna do any more of my routines. I can’t take this shit unbelievable. They had a two goal lead and they blew it like they sit back. Why did they tease us and torture us? We shouldn’t be called the New York Rangers. We should be called the tortured fan Rangers great win guys. 
LGR!!!! 

I'm telling you it's the psychotic girlfriend analogy.   Now instead of just Kreids, it's the whole fargin Rangers team doing stupid bimbo shit.  I literally was screaming at my TV with Miller's failed puck clears, and then all the other turnovers and blunders.      Then, she comes home and brings Margot Robiie with her for a three-some.

Man, I love to hate these Rangers (or is it hate to love?).   Yikes !  10 down, six to go.

• LMFAO 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Definite embellishment. This angle made it look worse than it is. The reverse angle clearly showed principal contact was with the back of his shoulder, and upon feeling contact he flinched his head making it appear like it was a head shot. And then of course the laying on the ice part after was purely for theatrical effect.

Edited by Karan

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Rangers keep scoring 5v5....some people "But what about the power play?" 

Exactly Pete.  Very worried about the PP, and to some degree PK (2 of 6).  I know we went 0-2 this game, but at least we had a decent set-up.   The dump-in on our PP just doesn't work.  I can't remember so many whiffs (10, 93, 20 and 79) on key scoring chances.    I almost put a foot through the TV on the failed clears.   Boggling.

1 minute ago, JJ in VA said:

Exactly Pete.  Very worried about the PP, and to some degree PK (2 of 6).  I know we went 0-2 this game, but at least we had a decent set-up.   The dump-in on our PP just doesn't work.  I can't remember so many whiffs (10, 93, 20 and 79) on key scoring chances.    I almost put a foot through the TV on the failed clears.   Boggling.

A lot of their PP success is based on getting immediate possession right off the draw, but hasn't helped by the fact Florida has been better in the face off dot. 

And then of course we've all seen how difficult it's been for them to get setup after trying to move in through the neutral zone. Florida's been doing a great job of breaking plays at the blue line and down low when they dump the puck in. Fox's hampered mobility hasn't helped with trying to gain the zone either.

That's one area where they could definitely stand to make some adjustments (i.e. zone entries after a lost draw). 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Apparently it still can. I think what we’ve seen is that despite everybody’s warts, if they get contributions from enough other guys ala Lafreniere and Goody, and Igor plays elite in crunch time, it doesn’t seem to matter.

Miller is soft and that’s well documented. I don’t like it, but you know who else makes soft plays? Kulikov dropping down to a knee and pokechecking instead of taking the body when he got undressed by Lafreniere. Florida letting a double screen happen on the first Goodrow goal. Florida letting Wennberg sit all alone in front of Bob on the game winner.

I have no problem with Florida screwing up, and I'd like to see more of it. Unlike round 1 last season, what I've seen in games 2 and 3 is a Ranger team that is stepping up, forcing the play and going to the net. Panthers are here for war, and this Ranger team needs to oblige. And after game 3, the stakes just got higher.

Posted (edited)

Looking back this morning, a couple details which were seemingly minor at the time but key in securing the win:

- Timely Timeouts: That was a terrific gut call by Lavvy. The game at that point was rapidly going in FLA's camp, possibly to the point of no return if they had scored the go-ahead goal. It still wasn't pretty after the T/O, but helped just enough for the team to respond and hang in there.

- Big Stick Kak: In that final O-zone draw right before the OT goal, Kakko does a great job with a stick check on the FLA player along the boards who was about to clear the zone, and that takeaway allowed Lindgren to take the shot which ultimately secured the W. 

Edited by Karan
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 3
  • Applause 3

The 34th Street Division saved our bacon.   All night the 3rd/4th lines were humming.   Going back through my notes, very few of the horrible miscues could be attributed to the 34th.    I know KK didn't hit the box score (just 1 SOG - 1st of game) much but he and his mates were noticeable all night.   How do you not love that 4th line too.    Matty had their heads up which we had not seen (except for us) all series.  

I sure love this team.   The mistakes are correctable.  Let's go get #11.

30 minutes ago, Karan said:

A lot of their PP success is based on getting immediate possession right off the draw, but hasn't helped by the fact Florida has been better in the face off dot. 

And then of course we've all seen how difficult it's been for them to get setup after trying to move in through the neutral zone. Florida's been doing a great job of breaking plays at the blue line and down low when they dump the puck in. Fox's hampered mobility hasn't helped with trying to gain the zone either.

That's one area where they could definitely stand to make some adjustments (i.e. zone entries after a lost draw). 

FL's PK is terrific. Much easier getting set up vs. Caps and Canes. there's no time now.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Karan said:

Really for a hit on the shoulder? I counted three headhunting hits in game 1, delivered by the Panthers one of which concussed Vessey. No fines, no disciplinary hearings only a single 2 minute penalty across all three hits.

NHL front office and officiating are a bunch of fucking clowns!! 

Edited by Dem