• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECF #5: Rangers vs. Florida Panthers — Big Three Meet Best of Three

Mika is a C, he has responsibilities. I'd be fine if we simply cleared his cap space on Sunday, but he has a lot going on out there.

Panarin's only job is to produce offense, and when it gets tough he disappears. I'm not gonna sit here and say he's a pussy or whatever, but he simply does not have the time and space to do what he does in November. It's just not gonna happen remotely consistently enough for his role on the team and his share of the cap. 

They'll run it back next year, though, 100%.

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

Panarin has no room on the ice, he's being swarmed immediately when he gets in the O-zone

I don't think he lost the swagger, he just doesn't have time to do what he wants to do, then he ends up sending a backhand pass to the middle of the ice hoping something sticks.

he had tons of space on the PP this game, I was surprised. But even being swarmed he’s got to find game and his teammates, shit that should be an advantage and mean someone is open. But like you said he just passes blindly to center by default and most times leads to going the other way. It’s amateur for a superstar skilled player. 

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Mika is a C, he has responsibilities. I'd be fine if we simply cleared his cap space on Sunday, but he has a lot going on out there.

Panarin's only job is to produce offense, and when it gets tough he disappears. I'm not gonna sit here and say he's a pussy or whatever, but he simply does not have the time and space to do what he does in November. It's just not gonna happen remotely consistently enough for his role on the team and his share of the cap. 

and we’ll be having the same discussion at the end of next season too

Yeah, things look bleak.  Florida plays tough, solid hockey.  I would like a lot more traffic in front of Bob, and mucking it up.  I'd like more snarl from the Rangers.  And maybe an elimination game brings out better from the Rangers to force a Game 7 back at MSG.  It ain't over until someone wins that fourth game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Yeah, they haven't lost yet, but if they do it'll still be this. That was the plan the moment they brought Laviolette on board. He wasn't going to just get one stab at it with these underachievers before any major changes. That's why I didn't want him.

But hey, it ain't over yet.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, they haven't lost yet, but if they do it'll still be this. That was the plan the moment they brought Laviolette on board. He wasn't going to just get one stab at it with these underachievers before any major changes. That's why I didn't want him.

But hey, it ain't over yet.

It's 100% not over, but they are 100% the 2nd best team in this series.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

6 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Just imagine what could have been if Gus wasn't a fucking dick to take the roughing penalty to negate a 5 on 3

This. Said it when that happened. That cost us the game IMO. He and Trouba have to be the 2 dumbest hockey players in the league. Just legit, dumb. Jones in for G next year and send Trouba packing for just an average defenseman. 

Just now, Dunny said:

It's 100% not over, but they are 100% the 2nd best team in this series.

So far, not over like was said above till the 4th win. 

• Believe 1

We’ve changed coaches, and I liked what Lavi has done here.  We’ve gone as far as we can with this bunch. It needs to be broken up and Mika and Paneran first. They’re regular season darlings and that’s it. They’re not winning players

11 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Just imagine what could have been if Gus wasn't a fucking dick to take the roughing penalty to negate a 5 on 3

Yep, Lavi not impressed either when asked about it. Certainly didn't throw him under the bus but yeah you would rather have the 5-3 in that situation at that point in the game.

8 minutes ago, Highwaystar said:

We’ve changed coaches, and I liked what Lavi has done here.  We’ve gone as far as we can with this bunch. It needs to be broken up and Mika and Paneran first. They’re regular season darlings and that’s it. They’re not winning players

They won the Presidents Cup beating the best and being the best over 82 games.  The Cup is a crapshoot.  A team, a goalie catches fire and upends the evidence of the 82.  Last year, the Panthers were that team.  They caught fire just in the nick of time and carried that flame into the finals.  They weren't the second best team in hockey; they were the second best team in the playoffs.  This year is different.  We actually have the two best teams in each conference playing for the right to play in the final round for the Cup.  Three of them won't make it in the end.  That doesn't make their players "not winning players".

2 minutes ago, ausman said:

They won the Presidents Cup beating the best and being the best over 82 games.  The Cup is a crapshoot.  A team, a goalie catches fire and upends the evidence of the 82.  Last year, the Panthers were that team.  They caught fire just in the nick of time and carried that flame into the finals.  They weren't the second best team in hockey; they were the second best team in the playoffs.  This year is different.  We actually have the two best teams in each conference playing for the right to play in the final round for the Cup.  Three of them won't make it in the end.  That doesn't make their players "not winning players".

I assure you, Mika flopping to try to draw a penalty with the net empty instead of attempting to win a puck battle makes him not a winning player, among a long, long, long list of other things.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Scott said:

Yep, Lavi not impressed either when asked about it. Certainly didn't throw him under the bus but yeah you would rather have the 5-3 in that situation at that point in the game.

Can't have it both ways.  This board has roasted players for not standing up for their stars.  Usually when they do, the refs preserve the original call and situation -- in this the 5 on 3 -- by evening up the rough stuff.  I found it curious they chose not to this time because there was plenty reason to do it.  But then again I've found how this series has been called very uneven.  And I don't think I'm the only one who sees it that way.  The Panthers have played very well, better than the Rangers in long stretches.  But their physical aggressiveness has been given unusual leeway.  This was among the most penalized teams in the NHL during the season.  Suddenly they found Jesus?

Edited by ausman
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I assure you, Mika flopping to try to draw a penalty with the net empty instead of attempting to win a puck battle makes him not a winning player, among a long, long, long list of other things.

He was elbowed.  ESPN -- The Pride of Sports -- showed one angle.

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The fact is the officials have allowed the Panthers wide latitude to bully the Rangers -- late hits, hits away from play, hits after the whistle.  Heck, Kreider was knocked to the ice after a whistle because he was standing in front of BOB.  No call.  On the other side, ticky tack calls against the Rangers and for the floppiest group of tough players I've ever seen.  If were Laviolette I'd take the fine and roast these officials for that.  

• Keeps it 100 3

Posted (edited)

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”  Albert Einstein.
Definition of Rangers in these series

Edited by Art20c
  • Keeps it 100 1

23 minutes ago, Scott said:

If gus was aware there was a penalty called - yea, he needs to hold back.

But thats also a shit call by the refs. Gotta protect the goalies, and u need let teams retaliate when their goalie is run

17 minutes ago, ausman said:

We’ve had this core now for a few years and it hasn’t changed for the better. If it’s the same core next year then I have no interest in this team. This is coming from a a fan since 1979 

Blaming the referees in any way for the way this series sits is weak imo. Mika going even more limp on the empty net goal was pathetic. I also think they called the Gus making Mikkola pay(?) the right call. Two mins for hitting him with his purse. 

You take the 5 on 3 and as somebody else said at some point you throw the puck into the corner and let Rempe try and hit somebody. Assuming you can remove the staples from his pants at some point. 

Posted (edited)

What’s clear to me is the Rangers speed is all but gone from their game.  A lot of us worried about this team’s speed during the regular season and it clearly has gotten slower.  The inability to make passes tape to tape, the inability to breakout of the zone quickly, the inability to generate chances off the rush, the inability to get to the net all are problematic but worse is the Rangers are just beaten to every puck most games.  

I’ve never had more faith in a Rangers team since 94 but sadly I’m running out of ways to see how this team gets passed the Panthers.  If game 6 and 7 both look like the first 5 games of this series I’m not convinced they can get it done.  They better figure out out to be the faster and sharper team in the next 2.

Edited by JHS