• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECF #5: Rangers vs. Florida Panthers — Big Three Meet Best of Three

Laviolette should not have had to make as many adjustments as he attempted to get this team rolling.

Last year GG did not adjust as his best players went missing.

This year the lineup has been different every game as Lavi's best players went missing.

What is the common factor between the two?  Both of them had their best players go missing when the season came down to a tough row against a talented hockey team.

25 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laviolette should not have had to make as many adjustments as he attempted to get this team rolling.

Last year GG did not adjust as his best players went missing.

This year the lineup has been different every game as Lavi's best players went missing.

What is the common factor between the two?  Both of them had their best players go missing when the season came down to a tough row against a talented hockey team.

Lavi’s moves have been rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I’m still waiting for in-series play style adjustments to counter Florida…now that we have “a real coach”

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I’m still waiting for in-series play style adjustments to counter Florida…now that we have “a real coach”

You can't make adjustments that your players are incapable of carrying out.

Next season when Othmann and Edstrom and a few other guys get shots in training camp we'll see what the adjustments are.

Barclay Goodrow is a better player in the post-season than Panarin and Mika combined.  Who would have guessed?

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

yea, I’m waiting for these so called adjustments.  How many more times do we have to see a defenseman above the circles and then the puck goes to someone wide open infront of the net.  

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

You can't make adjustments that your players are incapable of carrying out.

Next season when Othmann and Edstrom and a few other guys get shots in training camp we'll see what the adjustments are.

Barclay Goodrow is a better player in the post-season than Panarin and Mika combined.  Who would have guessed?

I was being facetious 🙂

Goodrow is probably tradeable outright now after his impeccable showing.

• Like 1

The Rangers probably just played their best game of the series so far and they were outmatched.

Put Bread up with Mika and Kreider on RW if necessary and let the three of them figure out how to be worth something in this series.

• Bullseye 1

It's really way to early to be talking about what players should be moved off the roster because the season is not over.  It is problematic that multiple top players disappear at key times and sadly, I don't see much in the way to "grind it out."  The biggest issue is the Rangers have gotten away from what got them here.  Boyle pointed this out in yesterday's pre-game show and it's pretty clear that what got them here was skill and speed-- and now the team looks slow.  There are so many issues coming up around players disappearing-- not because they can't contribute but because the style of play top teams play requires a lot of these guys to push through tighter checking and have less space-- and it seems like the same guys just can't adapt.   

• Bullseye 1

The ice is disgustingly bad. I'm not making excuses, but when you have the worst ice in professional hockey, you maybe shouldn't build a team that is obsessed with the extra pass, and timing everything just perfect. Doesn't seem like a great recipe to me. 

8 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

We need to find that other gear though. Still not clicking well enough. 

Just like last season against the Devils, that other gear involves wanting to run through Panthers. So far they haven't shown that desire, and they need to. If they can't, then I think we will see some changes come next season. 

Sometimes you don't realize how good of a fighter you can be, until you absolutely need to be that fighter. We will find out tomorrow

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

The ice is disgustingly bad. I'm not making excuses, but when you have the worst ice in professional hockey, you maybe shouldn't build a team that is obsessed with the extra pass, and timing everything just perfect. Doesn't seem like a great recipe to me. 

There is a real argument for cycling and taking the best shot.

There is no argument for cycling and not getting a shot attempt.

The best team in history, the Red Army team of the 70's, was routinely outshot 2-1 while they were rampaging against the other best teams in the world.

26 minutes ago, knedragon said:

Lavi’s adjustment so far has been a little less height on the alley - oop passes out of the zone .

However this has been one of the few ways the Rangers got a good scoring chance this series.

1 hour ago, JHS said:

It's really way to early to be talking about what players should be moved off the roster because the season is not over.  It is problematic that multiple top players disappear at key times and sadly, I don't see much in the way to "grind it out."  The biggest issue is the Rangers have gotten away from what got them here.  Boyle pointed this out in yesterday's pre-game show and it's pretty clear that what got them here was skill and speed-- and now the team looks slow.  There are so many issues coming up around players disappearing-- not because they can't contribute but because the style of play top teams play requires a lot of these guys to push through tighter checking and have less space-- and it seems like the same guys just can't adapt.   

I just don't see how they make any changes unless someone is willing to waive their trade protection, which just doesn't seem likely.

And you'd be hard up to be able to trade anyone without retention or taking a bad contract back. We went through this all last summer. Like step 1 should be getting rid of Trouba but you can't do that without taking a bad deal back...Like fuckin Darnell Nurse or some shit.

But honestly, the world has seen him now and knows who he is. Who wants him?

The player with the most value and will shake the room to the core if you move him is Kreider. DOes anyone think that happens, even Kreider to Boston makes all the sense in the world?

Drury is going to have to run it back with minor/bit player adjustments as a result of this franchise handing out NMC’s like candy at Halloween. 

this is a house whose framing is not strong enough to withstand a storm, but all we can do is paint the front door a new color and add some ferns on the porch- all the while hoping it never rains. 

• The Chyt! 1
  • Believe 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pete said:

I just don't see how they make any changes unless someone is willing to waive their trade protection, which just doesn't seem likely.

And you'd be hard up to be able to trade anyone without retention or taking a bad contract back. We went through this all last summer. Like step 1 should be getting rid of Trouba but you can't do that without taking a bad deal back...Like fuckin Darnell Nurse or some shit.

The player with the most value and will shake the room to the core if you move him is Kreider. DOes anyone think that happens, even Kreider to Boston makes all the sense in the world?

The Rangers can probably get Zib to waive the no-trade if they take him off the power play.

He needs to come off the power play anyway, because Laf needs his spot, but mentioning a reduced role next year in the exits would probably get him thinking.

Edited by Br4d

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers can probably get Zib to waive the no-trade if they take him off the power play.

He needs to come off the power play anyway, because Laf needs his spot, but mentioning a reduced role next year in the exits would probably get him thinking.

This is fanspeak. There's literally zero evidence mgmt sees it this way and there is little incentive to change a PP that's been in the top 3 for like 3 years.

However removing Kreider....lefty for lefty...

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is fanspeak. There's literally zero evidence mgmt sees it this way and there is little incentive to change a PP that's been in the top 3 for like 3 years.

Zero evidence?

He can't hit the one-timer any more.  And I don't mean he only hits it as 12.9% or whatever, he literally doesn't hit it at all.

Also, the damn thing never produces a rebound, at best going wide and bouncing up the other side.

We all know what Zib looked like when that was working.  Now it doesn't work and his role on the power play went away with his ability to hit that shot.

Seriously, you don't want a guy who can actually score in that role?

Panarin there and Laf in Panarin's spot.

Edit: One of the things the Rangers need to do over the next year or two is dump the long-term contracts that no longer make sense.  Zibanejad is maybe 2nd on that list after Trouba.

Edited by Br4d

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Zero evidence?

He can't hit the one-timer any more.  And I don't mean he only hits it as 12.9% or whatever, he literally doesn't hit it at all.

Also, the damn thing never produces a rebound, at best going wide and bouncing up the other side.

We all know what Zib looked like when that was working.  Now it doesn't work and his role on the power play went away with his ability to hit that shot.

Seriously, you don't want a guy whop can actually score in that role?

Panarin there and Laf in Panarin's spot.

Read what I wrote...There is zero evidence mgmt sees it that way, as even when the PP slumped, they didn't change personnel. Zib just needs to move off the goal line and into the circle. He's losing shooting angle and the extra time it takes to get there allows the goalie to explode over.

That said, I doubt something like that gets a player to waive their NMC.

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Read what I wrote...There is zero evidence mgmt sees it that way, as even when the PP slumped, they didn't change personnel. Zib just needs to move off the goal line and into the circle. He's losing shooting angle and the extra time it takes to get there allows the goalie to explode over.

That said, I doubt something like that gets a player to waive their NMC.

46 points if he's lucky.  That's what Zib scores next season if not on the power play.

Seriously.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

46 points if he's lucky.  That's what Zib scores next season if not on the power play.

Seriously.

OK. And that means he'll waive his NMC why?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pete said:

OK. And that means he'll waive his NMC why?

It doesn't mean he'll waive his NMC.  However it will give him the opportunity to assess whether he would be better somewhere else, where his power play and PK will lead to substantially higher numbers.

Also, if you don't think the Rangers need to find a spot for Laf on the power play at this point, well I don't know where to go with that.

Edit: what's becoming clear at this point is the current build is not optimized for the playoffs and you really need to do that unless the whole point is to win the President's Trophy and then go home afterwards.

Edited by Br4d

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It doesn't mean he'll waive his NMC.  However it will give him the opportunity to assess whether he would be better somewhere else, where his power play and PK will lead to substantially higher numbers.

Also, if you don't think the Rangers need to find a spot for Laf on the power play at this point, well I don't know where to go with that.

Edit: what's becoming clear at this point is the current build is not optimized for the playoffs and you really need to do that unless the whole point is to win the President's Trophy and then go home afterwards.

Lafreniere definitely needs PP time.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

The Trouba question is a great one.  Essentially he "would/should" be moved but there is no obvious replacement for him already in the organization.  The issue with keeping him is the salary is just so over the top that it will make it almost impossible to keep Schneider-- and that would be a tragic loss!  I honestly don't know what they will do here- his play has been awful but he is the captain.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yes, let's give our blossoming franchise player a position on the powerplay where he wouldn't even have the puck. What an absolutely brilliant idea on how not to develop talent lol