• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECF #5: Rangers vs. Florida Panthers — Big Three Meet Best of Three

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Trouba was so bad in the playoffs. So fucking bad. I wish NHL Network would burn the tape on some of these games. Even ones with good outcomes. Game 3 against Florida, he was just a total disaster. Beat so often, lunging at guys, bad penalties at bad times, on the ice for 2 of the 4 goals against and in the box I believe for another one.

Said it in the off-season thread but Laviolette needs to shrink his ice time down. Maybe not to Stu Bickel territory. But you can’t just trust this guy on the ice in a tight game. He’s too prone to stupidity, to being beat, to taking a horrible penalty. Captaincy or not, can’t have him on the ice late in games like that. It’s brutal to see.

It absolutely sucks he’s still here.

He was hurt. He shouldn’t have been playing that many minutes, if at all. I’lld like to blame the coach for this. 

4 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

He was hurt. He shouldn’t have been playing that many minutes, if at all. I’lld like to blame the coach for this. 

No you’re too late. You could only blame the coach last summer. This summer you can only blame one specific player.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • JIMMY! 1

5 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

If you want to go down that route, then why not follow the bouncing ball and blame the team that medically cleared Trouba to return. 

22 minutes ago, Karan said:

If you want to go down that route, then why not follow the bouncing ball and blame the team that medically cleared Trouba to return. 

I feel like he may have been medically cleared but anyone and their brother saw he wasn't playing 100%. Coach's job is to ice the best team. Having Trouba out there during the Florida series was not the best team when you had two capable guys who would've run through walls with a chance in the Conference Finals in Ruhwedel and Jones. I'm cool with blaming Lavi for putting him out there. He was flat footed, a step behind and his decision making was suspect.

There is no coach on earth who's just going to sit down their captain if the doctors and captain are saying he is healthy enough to play.

It's just not going to happen.

Every team who doesn't win the cup goes through this same conversation every offseason when the injury list gets released "well why didn't they just sit him?" 

Because they never do. No team does. 

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

But he was obviously a liability. Lavi could’ve cut down his minutes at the very least. A coach should care about the product on the ice, not hurting Trouba’s feelings

Sure. But if we're talking about taking him out of the lineup, that was never going to happen. You could blame the coach if you feel like doing that, but it's a decision any other coach would have made and if they win nobody's questioning it. Like Stamkos only taking a couple of shifts in game 3 of the 2020 finals. He was obviously hurt and barely played, but they chose to play him over other guys who were obviously healthy. If Tampa Bay goes on to lose, everybody is asking why Cooper is dressing an injured player. The answer is simple, any coach is going to do that.

Any coach will play a healthy captain.  The difference between Stamkos and Trouba is that Trouba was already playing and deemed healthy way before round 3 of the playoffs and Stamkos was used as a spark by Cooper.  Kind of like what the Rangers tried with inserting Chytil in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Any coach will play a healthy captain.  The difference between Stamkos and Trouba is that Trouba was already playing and deemed healthy way before round 3 of the playoffs and Stamkos was used as a spark by Cooper.  Kind of like what the Rangers tried with inserting Chytil in the playoffs.

That's fine, but Dallas won that game and Stamkos played 3 minutes because he was too hurt to play. 

Regardless, does anyone think and undersized rookie or undersized journeyman would have made a difference against Florida? 

I suppose we'll never know, but the way the series was going it's a pretty thin argument. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's fine, but Dallas won that game and Stamkos played 3 minutes because he was too hurt to play. 

Regardless, does anyone think and undersized rookie or undersized journeyman would have made a difference against Florida? 

I suppose we'll never know, but the way the series was going it's a pretty thin argument. 

There is no way to know.   The injury to Fox made it impossible to sit Trouba.  If they could've leaned on Fox more than maybe you can risk sitting Trouba and playing someone sheltered minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I think Trouba was on the ice for something like half the goals against. If a different defenseman doesnt screw up for 2-3 goals against, we could’ve had a different series. You said it yourself that the games were pretty close 

• Bullseye 1

12 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

I think Trouba was on the ice for something like half the goals against. If a different defenseman doesnt screw up for 2-3 goals against, we could’ve had a different series. You said it yourself that the games were pretty close 

Sure, maybe they don't make THE EXACT mistakes Trouba did, but maybe they make others. I'm just not sure I understand "soft soft soft, swarming forecheck punishing the D...we need more Zac Jones."

Put it this way, I would have liked to see Jones too, in the moment. Seeing the way it played out in hindsight I don't think it would have changed the overall outcome of the series. Florida was rolling and went on to win 3 straight from EDM before slowing down.

I just don't think it realistically would have mattered, although I wish it would have.

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The Rangers inserted Chytil at 6-0.  They went 4-6 the rest of the way.

Don't try to fix things that aren't broken.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers inserted Chytil at 6-0.  They went 4-6 the rest of the way.

Don't try to fix things that aren't broken.

I never agreed with playing Chytil in the playoffs.  The Rangers organization thought he was going to be a spark.  

• Like 1

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

I never agreed with playing Chytil in the playoffs.  The Rangers organization thought he was going to be a spark.  

Lavi obviously thought Rempe was a liability against Carolina and he went out of his way to make him not required.  The 2OT game probably is what scared Lavi because he knew he couldn't put Rempe out against the 'Canes in clutch time and not pay a price.

The answer wasn't to bring Chytil back, although I am sure Drury was pushing for that.  The answer was to score some fucking goals and not get to OT as often as the Rangers were at that point.

With more time to recover and a full camp and preseason under his belt, Chytil is a pretty big wild card this season. Still up in the air for me if he can even really play anymore and/or even be effective. If he's not, it's kind of a black hole in the lineup.

29 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

With more time to recover and a full camp and preseason under his belt, Chytil is a pretty big wild card this season. Still up in the air for me if he can even really play anymore and/or even be effective. If he's not, it's kind of a black hole in the lineup.

Yeah. I feel similarly.

Obviously I’m rooting for the kid. Hopefully he can find a way to put this behind him and have it be a thing of his past. 
But until we see otherwise, all bets are off. 

They won the President's Trophy last season with a hole at 3C pretty much the entire season.  That being said Chytil might just be the most important player to this season's success.  He needs to stay healthy and the least not be a minus player.  The first part is the hard part.  He should be a plus player.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They won the President's Trophy last season with a hole at 3C pretty much the entire season.  That being said Chytil might just be the most important player to this season's success.  He needs to stay healthy and the least not be a minus player.  The first part is the hard part.  He should be a plus player.

I have him at over/under winning 3 faceoffs all year!

• Applause 1