• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

48 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Shorten the AHL season to 50-60 games.  Have it run from June to October.  Put the games on TV because there's nothing else on.

This will never happen, ever. It's not even worth discussing. You're literally telling owners "make 27–39% less revenue per year," because... reasons?

Phil answered for me. Plus the players in the AHL wouldn't have anything to do during the NHL season for possible call ups.

for 'summer league I really am just thinking, something that's a big more NHL involved than 'Da Beauty League'

like a 2-3 week thing from Mid July - Early August, with some AHL guys and drafted prospects not playing pro yet, maybe with sprinkling in some NHL players (like a rule that guys with a certain amount of NHL games the previous season can only play 1-2 times) playing essentially a pro version of the traverse city tourney

50 minutes ago, Phil said:

This will never happen, ever. It's not even worth discussing. You're literally telling owners "make 27–39% less revenue per year," because... reasons?

Really?  The Pack plays in front of 11,000 empty seats.  You don't think their attendance would increase when they're not competing with NHL, NFL/NCAA football, and NBA/NCAA basketball for attendees.  You don't think a national TV deal and increased sponsorship would bring in more revenue than 10ish lost home games with 4.6k in building? 

8 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Really?  The Pack plays in front of 11,000 empty seats.  You don't think their attendance would increase when they're not competing with NHL, NFL/NCAA football, and NBA/NCAA basketball for attendees.  You don't think a national TV deal and increased sponsorship would bring in more revenue than 10ish lost home games with 4.6k in building? 

but you are cutting their amount of home games very significantly and that's ticket revenue that won't just come back because of NBA games not going on

36 home games with 4.6k attendance is about 165k fans for the season.  Cutting to 25 games, even without an increase in attendance only loses 50k butt's in seats.   That's what $2-2.5 million.  You don't think they'd easily make that up from tv contracts and sponsorships?  In the summer they could play some games in the parent club's arena and sell 3-4 times the tickets they normally do.

20 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

36 home games with 4.6k attendance is about 165k fans for the season.  Cutting to 25 games, even without an increase in attendance only loses 50k butt's in seats.   That's what $2-2.5 million.  You don't think they'd easily make that up from tv contracts and sponsorships?  In the summer they could play some games in the parent club's arena and sell 3-4 times the tickets they normally do.

196,000 fans this year

https://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/wolf-pack-enjoys-strong-2023-24-season-in-the-community-and-at-the-box-office#:~:text=Over the course of 36 regular season home games%2C the Wolf Pack welcomed an average of 5%2C456 fans to the XL Center in downtown Hartford.

Also, look beyond Hartford.

The Cleveland Monsters led the league in attendance for the fourth time in the last five seasons by drawing 10,264 fans per game to Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, the highest average attendance by an AHL team in 25 years. The Hershey Bears (9,439), Laval Rocket (9,256), Chicago Wolves (8,984) and Coachella Valley Firebirds (8,844) rounded out the top five.

Plus you want players playing during the same months the big club is playing because of callups. You can't have guys just sitting around.

It's like the "just 2x the cap", there's no logical backing as to how this should work.

The better idea would be to stream BioSteel or Da Beauty League stuff.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

196,000 fans this year

https://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/wolf-pack-enjoys-strong-2023-24-season-in-the-community-and-at-the-box-office#:~:text=Over the course of 36 regular season home games%2C the Wolf Pack welcomed an average of 5%2C456 fans to the XL Center in downtown Hartford.

Plus you want players playing during the same months the big club is playing because of callups. You can't have guys just sitting around.

It's like the "just 2x the cap", there's no logical backing as to how this should work.

The better idea would be to stream BioSteel or Da Beauty League stuff.

Settle down big guy.  Someone said summer league and threw out a random thought.  I didn't do a research paper on it.  Close you log book of everything everyone ever said.

• LMFAO 1

40 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Settle down big guy.  Someone said summer league and threw out a random thought.  I didn't do a research paper on it.  Close you log book of everything everyone ever said.

Or you can just say "Wow, OK, I didn't think it through. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea", or is it too hard to admit that?

I mean you brought up doubling the cap like 2 days ago 🤣

Let's not act like it was written on the back of the Declaration of Independence and I paid Nick Cage to retrieve it.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 2

My wife made me eat the last one out of the freezer tonight, I completely torched their existence out of my brain after the playoffs. 

spacer.png

Tastes damn good. To Laffy, great season for the kid and hopefully more lucky donuts hit the net and my stomach next season. 

• ALEXIS! 2

From the Staple article:

With Schneider signed the next item on the to-do list is a Ryan Lindgren contract. A league source said talks have been constant between Lindgren’s camp and the Rangers; Lindgren’s arbitration hearing is slated for Aug. 2, so that’s probably the deadline by which you’ll see agreement on what will most likely be a one-year deal in the vicinity of Lindgren’s $3.6 million qualifying offer.

Anything beyond that buys up UFA years and that brings the price up. As outlined above, all the work the Rangers have to do next summer would seem to put a roadblock up on a multiyear Lindgren deal, but maybe if Drury wants to commit long term there’s something to be done there. Still think one year is the outcome, but we’ll see how wrong I am soon enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5639607/2024/07/16/rangers-jacob-trouba-kaapo-kakko-trade/?source=emp_shared_article

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

So is Lindgren gunna walk at the end of next year?! If we can't buy him now, how are we gunna do it next year? 

Maybe, maybe not. He'd be a UFA, so if they let him go to market, yes.

36 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Im not sure i’d lose any sleep if we let Lindgren go after next season 

Yea I get that. Fan favorite but maybe not worth the 5+ someone will inevitably give him.

Someone blasted me for saying his filing for arb was a risk… even though I knew it was standard procedure… because this might happen…. 

And here we are.

He may be signing a one year deal.

Yet I somehow don’t know what I’m talking about. 

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Someone blasted me for saying his filing for arb was a risk… even though I knew it was standard procedure… because this might happen…. 

And here we are.

He may be signing a one year deal.

Yet I somehow don’t know what I’m talking about. 

Are you really sweating about Lindgren?  You dont know what you’re talking about