• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

5 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Are you really sweating about Lindgren?  You dont know what you’re talking about 

I’m not sweating about him. I dont think you’re getting what I mean.

If you’re saying that I’m nervous we are going to lose him or whatever, no, that’s not what I mean. 

Kind of a little nervous for him though. The way he plays and how often he gets hurt, he’s the kind of player that really needs that long-term security is all I’m saying. 

Lindgren is a 2nd pair LD playing on the 1st pair because he's Adam Fox's buddy.

He's a decent defenseman who is also part of the reason that Igor is over-worked on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

Lindgren is a 2nd pair LD playing on the 1st pair because he's Adam Fox's buddy.

He's a decent defenseman who is also part of the reason that Igor is over-worked on a regular basis.

Name a D man on this squad that isn't a reason Igor is overworked. It seems they blow a coverage regularly. Watching Floridas smothering D made me jealous.

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

He’s also playing 1st pair because they don’t have a first pair left side defenseman. The left side depth has been weak for a long time, and Miller hasn’t progressed or taken the bull by the horns as hoped. All the money is on the right side.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 1

57 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Name a D man on this squad that isn't a reason Igor is overworked. It seems they blow a coverage regularly. Watching Floridas smothering D made me jealous.

Because it's not just the defenseman. Defense is a five player affair. 

None of the Rangers forwards outside of their penalty killing tandems are particularly good defensively in a vacuum. 

The system needs to be adhered to a little bit more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

None of the Rangers forwards outside of their penalty killing tandems are particularly good defensively in a vacuum. 

They simply don’t play “team defense” on a consistent basis.

Too many forwards not helping out often enough. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Lavi is not a defense first coach. I think what we’ve seen is what’ll be defensively 

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Lavi is not a defense first coach. I think what we’ve seen is what’ll be defensively 

Yeah.

I don’t think they make too much improvement defensively until they improve somewhat personnel wise there.

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

It's not about being defensive first. He's about getting the puck back quickly to go on the attack. They don't get it back quickly enough. 

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

You can’t paint stripes on a cat and expect it to be a tiger. The forwards mostly don’t play the right way at either end of the rink. That’s why the team is meh at 5v5.

A real 3rd line could help with that. If you feel like there’s the personnel in house to do it. 

16 hours ago, Pete said:

It's not about being defensive first. He's about getting the puck back quickly to go on the attack. They don't get it back quickly enough. 

Its also not being physical and efficient when the puck gets dumped in the d zone. Florida had the book out on the rangers defense. Dump it in and retrieve, rangers are soft along the boards. 

18 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

I don’t think they make too much improvement defensively until they improve somewhat personnel wise there.

Yeah..i’d gladly trade Lindgren for a more physical defenseman.  Lindgren gets too physically abused. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

A real 3rd line could help with that. If you feel like there’s the personnel in house to do it. 

This is where Kakko could hopefully excel. I gave up on him being a scoring forward, would love for him to become a solid defensive forward who puts up 45 or so points

16 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

You can’t paint stripes on a cat and expect it to be a tiger. The forwards mostly don’t play the right way at either end of the rink. That’s why the team is meh at 5v5.

Dont call Pete a cat. He thinks he’s a tiger 🐯 

16 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Yeah..i’d gladly trade Lindgren for a more physical defenseman.  Lindgren gets too physically abused. 

I agree with you. He just plays bigger than his size. 

But this is the debate fans always seem to have… not specifically with or about him, just in general.

And not at all referring to you when I’m saying this. 
The “you” I’m saying is in the general sense. 

You get out skilled or out skated, your fans says you need more speed and skill.

You get outmuscled and lose to a bigger team, you need more size and toughness and physicality.

Problem is, you sacrifice the other to get the one typically. 
And a lot of fans think that players who possess enough of both are all over the place. They are fairly uncommon. And neither easy nor cheap to acquire. Teams hold onto players like that. 

Lindgren has pretty good mobility and skates well. Obviously he plays hard and with toughness and physicality. He’s not small either, just doesn’t have great size. He’s average there. 
He’s more of a 2nd pairing guy, but he’s not ridiculously out of place on a 1st pairing, especially with an elite guy who he has a long host with in Fox. 

The kid had an off year this year. He was playing banged up all year I’d reckon. Plus Fox missed time. And Fox wasn’t healthy all season either. I think that knee issue bothered him for a good little while after he came back, then it got reaggravated in the playoffs. 

Hopefully he bounces back.

But that’s another issue.

We’ve got too many bromances on this team.

Not only Zib and CK who should be split IMO, but Fox and Lindgren too. Looking at maybe splitting them up isn’t a bad idea either. 

The biggest problem on D though still remains as Trouba. If that $8 million or the better portion of it were spent on a defenseman who was actually worth that money, problem solved. 

31 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

This is where Kakko could hopefully excel. I gave up on him being a scoring forward, would love for him to become a solid defensive forward who puts up 45 or so points

I’ve said for 2 seasons now that a line of CK-Trochek-Kakko may be the ticket you’re looking for.

As for Kakko specifically, who knows.

Every part of his game, save for the actual offensive production is there. If that comes, you could have a premium two-way winger in your hands. And it isn’t like he hasnt been close to that.

Hes had an 18-goal, 40 point season already. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Not with Chytil on it. 

I wasn’t referring to Chytil.

People will be reluctant to do this because of the success they had last year, but I’d put the  line of Panarin-Chytil-Lafreniere back together. 
That was the original plan last season and while only a ten game sample, it was working. 

29 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I wasn’t referring to Chytil.

People will be reluctant to do this because of the success they had last year, but I’d put the  line of Panarin-Chytil-Lafreniere back together. 
That was the original plan last season and while only a ten game sample, it was working. 

I understand that logic, and I'm not disagreeing, but I just don't see them doing it. I hope they give it a shot in preseason again, but that said, that line would be atrocious defensively. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I understand that logic, and I'm not disagreeing, but I just don't see them doing it. I hope they give it a shot in preseason again, but that said, that line would be atrocious defensively. 

I don’t see them doing it either… but to not try it again does abandon the sound logic they applied last year when they went with it to begin with.

If they’re serious about going with their best possible deployment though, that’s likely their best path. 

You’re right about the defensive side of that line. Panarin-Chytil-Laf would not be particularly good defensively. And they’d lose something on faceoffs too. But Chytil was at least looking slightly better in that department last season. 
But that line isn’t out there for their D prowess to begin with. 

I can’t sit here and say that they’d have put up the same numbers they did with Chytil that they did with Trochek. But I don’t think anyone would deny that the Chytil version was looking good and working by any measurement. 

I wouldn’t have issue with the following:

CK-Zib-Smith

Panarin-Chytil-LaFreniere 

Cuylle-Trochek-Kakko

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t see them doing it either… but to not try it again does abandon the sound logic they applied last year when they went with it to begin with.

If they’re serious about going with their best possible deployment though, that’s likely their best path. 

You’re right about the defensive side of that line. Panarin-Chytil-Laf would not be particularly good defensively. And they’d lose something on faceoffs too. But Chytil was at least looking slightly better in that department last season. 
But that line isn’t out there for their D prowess to begin with. 

I can’t sit here and say that they’d have put up the same numbers they did with Chytil that they did with Trochek. But I don’t think anyone would deny that the Chytil version was looking good and working by any measurement. 

I wouldn’t have issue with the following:

CK-Zib-Smith

Panarin-Chytil-LaFreniere 

Cuylle-Trochek-Kakko

Yeah I get it. I think stretching the lineup is important, so this works.