• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

I want to see hungry kids from Hartford replacing all of our UFA's and a hockey trade to upgrade some positions. Stamkos isn't leaving Tampa so that is pretty much dead in the water (both sides have pretty much said so). Thoughts on PK88 making an NY redemption tour for 24/25?

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I want to see hungry kids from Hartford replacing all of our UFA's and a hockey trade to upgrade some positions. Stamkos isn't leaving Tampa so that is pretty much dead in the water (both sides have pretty much said so). Thoughts on PK88 making an NY redemption tour for 24/25?

Nah. They need to get faster and harder, not older and slower. That ship sailed.

I don’t hate the idea of Kakko walking and Berard getting a look. He’s tiny, but he’s a pain in the ass and he’s quick. The role Kakko has is essentially where he is projected to be. Not nickel and diming here, but would save us potentially $1.5M if he were to take Kakkos spot. Kakko brings a ton defensively but obviously has his shortcomings offensively and may be looking for a fresh start. And if he is, maybe it is time to cut the cord. Berard would be a nice fit on that 3rd line in a role tailor made for him. He put up 23 this year in Hartford. Offensively, wouldn’t expect him to outproduce Kakko next year but also wouldn’t expect the difference to be that much. Could add a little bit more punch to your Bottom-6 while saving some pennies if they go that route.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Red White and Brew said:

You think we were the better team in either series?

Yes they were the better team against Carolina, they won 4-2 and lost one game where multiple players had the flu.

Everything else in your post has nothing to do with what I said.

Next think you know "Then Rangers have been terrible since October and just got lucky!" 

What am I saying, there are folks who actually think that. So...yea. 

Edited by Pete

21 hours ago, Bugg said:

Part of me really hates that empty '94 nostalgia. Always gonna appreciate 1994, but it's also reminder how Neil Smith managed to screw  up a shot at even more by trading away Zubov and others, and hiring a bum like Colin Campbell. Had a nice run in 1997 with 11 and 99 and then screwed up the Messier/Sakic summer to boot. For all the odes written about that team, it got really dark after that because of those bad decisions. Like Lundqvist's entire career , a lost opportunity. 

I was only 3 years old in '94 so i have no recollection of it anyway so my gif doesn't even apply to me lol

• LMFAO 1

45 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I blame my Dad for doing this to me

I blame Gilligan's Island.  It was on Channel 9 before Saturday night Rangers road games back in the times of the primordial ooze.  I started watching when I was in Second Grade because that's the channel the TV was on after Gilligan's Island.

• Applause 1

Posted (edited)

Gilligan and the Skipper sound right to me.  Might have been The Brady Bunch.  I gave my sisters the early privileges in the hopes the parents would let me stay up late to see the Rangers.

Edited by Br4d

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

those bastards 

Before cable in mid 1970s never saw any games  at MSG unless you went in person. HBO started by showing Knicks and Rangers games to people who had no antenna reception. Well into the early 1980s, had go to a bar that had cable or HBO in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn. Basically had Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick on the radio. 

PS; could drive into Manhattan and park on the street. And finance blue seats season tickets on a paper route. 

Edited by Bugg

Positives: Shesterkin was incredible this post-season.  Laf took a step forward and looked to have gained confidence and was a legitimate scoring producer.  We proved to be the best team in the Metro, and got bounced by the Panthers, a team that has reached the SCF 2 years in a row.  Laviolette had a clear system, structure, made time-outs to allow the team to recompose, and tweaked lineups and lines to adjust on the fly.

I still saw some of the same problems I've seen for years.  In the defensive zone, too many guys free to get shots off in high danger areas, too many blown assignments.  Forwards not busting back in transition to break up rushes.  A preference for poke checks instead of taking the body and punishing players who try and get chances near the net.

In the offensive zone, no traffic in front of Bob.  Lots of perimeter shots.  Few efforts to drive toward the net.  Pretty passing instead of direct hockey.

I think we've got to look at team construction, which points to management and Drury.  NMC/NTC for Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Trocheck, Goodrow, Trouba - all on the wrong side of 30 years old.  Looking at your top 2 lines, you've got an abundance of play-makers, finesse players - you just don't have that key raging bull that's going to create havoc in front of the net.  And as GM when your acquisitions are Wheeler, Roslovic, and Wennberg - you are not identifying someone to create havoc in front of the net as a priority.  And call it soft, or call it lack of snarl, or call it lack of toughness - but we just don't have an asshole on the team.  I'm sure that all the Rangers are great at charity events.  But we don't have that one guy that hates to lose at cards, billiards, ping-pong, and not only is going to go all out to win at any stupid competition, but is going to get in someone's face that isn't going balls to the wall.  There's a lot more open ice, cross-ice passes, and scoring chances in the regular season that dry up in the playoffs.

The Rangers didn't show up for Game 1 against the Panthers.  And they didn't show up until the last few minutes in Game 6 against the Panthers.  As a fan there's nothing worse than when it's a key game and the team just isn't there.  It cost us the Devils series last year.  It's been a problem for years.  And yes, we get credit for all the comeback victories this year, but sometimes if you suck for 2 periods, playing a good third period isn't always going to be enough.

I think Panarin, Zib, Kreider can be complementary players - they are solid pros that can contribute at key moments.  Kreider's hat trick in game 6 of the Canes series (and MIA from a physical presence in front of the net for long stretches in the playoffs).  Panarin got some time and space at the end of game 6 of the Panthers series and absolutely lasered in a goal (but didn't have the kind of time and space in the playoffs that he gets in the regular season).  Zib with the sweet short-handed assist, and the booming one timer on the power play (but also was blanketed limiting chances).  I just don't think any of them are able to be balls to the wall players for 4 playoff rounds, doing whatever it takes because they hate to lose.   None of them are really captain material.  Players that would like to win but won't work each shift putting in hard work.  And they are setting the tone for the younger players.

Management invested in this core and with the NMC/NTC are likely to remain committed to seeing if they can get it done.  But without altering the veterans you're not going to change the locker room, and you're not going to change the finesse style of the key veterans.  We can continue to enjoy almost surely making the playoffs, but our ceiling is winning a round or 2.  The Rangers have plenty of talented players, but don't have the proper team construction nor toughness to win a Cup.

• Bullseye 3
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

1) What would you trade Shesterkin for?

2) What would you trade for Ulmark?

The moves were

Igor+ for Rantanen

Kreider for Ulmark/Frederic

Trouba out for nothing (2m retained)

Sign Tanev

• VINNY! 1

Y'all wanna get a lil pissed? We live and die by the fandom for this team. On Spittin Chiclets, they were talking about having inside sources telling them the Rangers players had girlfriends accompanying them to Florida for their games in the series and taking beach days instead of focusing on the task at hand. Really sucks to hear it may have come down to commitment in completing the task at hand....

If nothing else; leadership needs to change in that locker room. That kind of lack of focus during the largest battle of the year is the reason why they most likely looked outplayed and mismatched. Wow.

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Y'all wanna get a lil pissed? We live and die by the fandom for this team. On Spittin Chiclets, they were talking about having inside sources telling them the Rangers players had girlfriends accompanying them to Florida for their games in the series and taking beach days instead of focusing on the task at hand. Really sucks to hear it may have come down to commitment in completing the task at hand....

If nothing else; leadership needs to change in that locker room. That kind of lack of focus during the largest battle of the year is the reason why they most likely looked outplayed and mismatched. Wow.

If that’s the case then blow it up