• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Posted (edited)

Michael Jordan would play cards till all hours of the night and play 36 holes on playoff game days..  Not everyone is wired the same.. Again- this is fake outrage in search of a story. 

We lost because- 

Mika Zibenejad (8.5 cap hit) had 0 goals in the series 

Artemi Panarin (11.6 cap hit) had 1 goal in the series

Jacob Trouba (8.0 cap hit) had more penalties than successful clears in the series

Adam Fox (9.5 cap hit) 0 goals in this series (none in his last 29 playoff games)

Chris Kreider (6.5 cap hit) 1 goal in the series. 

Trocheck was the only big dollar skater to show up- That's why we lost.. Not because Miller was sitting on the beach. 

Florida's big guns showed up, ours guns fired about as well as a guy with a vasectomy. 

Edited by Flynn
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

Trocheck was the only big dollar skater to show up- That's why we lost.. Not because Miller was sitting on the beach. 

In defense of Miller, he's just as bad after a day at the beach as a day watching video.

• LMFAO 1

Just now, Sod16 said:

In defense of Miller, he's just as bad after a day at the beach as a day watching video.

Yeah- he made the same dumb shit mistakes all regular season.. He was the model of consistency. 

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

Michael Jordan would play cards till all hours of the night and play 36 holes on playoff game days..  Not everyone is wired the same.. Again- this is fake outrage in search of a story. 

We lost because- 

Mika Zibenejad (8.5 cap hit) had 0 goals in the series 

Artemi Panarin (11.6 cap hit) had 1 goal in the series

Jacob Trouba (8.0 cap hit) had more penalties than successful clears in the series

Adam Fox (9.5 cap hit) 0 goals in this series (none in his last 29 playoff games)

Chris Kreider (6.5 cap hit) 1 goal in the series. 

Florida's big guns showed up, ours guns fired about as well as a guy with a vasectomy. 

Grant Fuhr once played a round of golf the morning of a SCF game.

When the reporter asked him how he could play 18 holes of golf hours before a game like that, his response was… “Because I didn’t have time for 36.”

This guys are allowed to have lives and families too. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Why does everyone assume it's Miller? Just because people like to complain about Miller?

Wonder how much of his troubles were because he was playing with a stiff for a D partner.  And picked up a bad habit or 2.  See Trouba make another blind panicked shaky clearing pass up the boards to a pinching defenseman, waiting for it,   and you might start to think that's the job? 

Yeah I don’t give a shit about this beach shit, or whether or not it happened. It was like 900 degrees in Sunrise when the Rangers were playing down there. What are they supposed to do on an off-day? Sit in a corner and stare at the walls because they have work the following night? Come on.

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

20 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Wonder how much of his troubles were because he was playing with a stiff for a D partner.  And picked up a bad habit or 2.  See Trouba make another blind panicked shaky clearing pass up the boards to a pinching defenseman, waiting for it,   and you might start to think that's the job? 

Miller is a raw talent. He still has a lot of fine-tuning to complete his game. He makes mistakes and when he does, they’re often really loud ones. Game 3 against Florida, for example. Twice.

That said, you can’t really reach size. And he has that. No, he isn’t a menacing, physical guy. But he has speed, reach and talent. You see the talent. He’ll get it all together soon enough. He’s made strides. And will continue to.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Why does everyone assume it's Miller? Just because people like to complain about Miller?

Not sure- Perhaps he's got the most ass readily available? Of that Kakko would need SPF 300 if he went to the beach in South Florida.. Gus makes sense, seems like he has about 12 margaritas pregame. I was just assuming it was a younger, unmarried guy who might be interested in a good time. Schneider could be running some ass out there... No matter what- I don't really care who it was, sheltering in place is not a reasonable expectation for guys. 

Posted (edited)

The thing with the Rangers is that when you look at this roster and this team, there is nothing they don’t have. They have depth. They have elite level scoring. We have young, emerging stars. We have experience. We have superstars that aren’t archaic old that have all had big playoff moments. We have the best goalie in the league. We have one of the best coaches in the league. We have a Norris Trophy winning defenseman and tons of good defensemen behind him. We have elite special teams. And we have a team that has grown together and played together for a little while now.

I don’t see a lot of holes.

That said, what Boyle said here is true too. Sometimes, you need to fix the room. Sometimes, you can see that there is just a little something missing that can’t be quantified by looking at the numbers or the level of talent, size and skill.

Again, no one can put their finger on it. When I look at this roster, it’s among the leagues elite. The only ones who would disagree are people who hate the Rangers just to hate the Rangers.

But I do agree that maybe an attitude adjustment, or a bit of a wake up call, is needed in that locker room to adjust the mindset of the room. Because based strictly off talent, I have little to no doubts they can win. But judging off of the fact that they have shown they can bend and break when things go bad? I have some doubts whether or not this roster, as currently constructed, could get its way over the finish line.

Been said a lot and will continue to be said. But this is a major summer for Drury. Not even major summer; major weeks, because this is all on-going now I’d imagine, with the draft and free agency coming up quicker than I think any of us realize. The answer isn’t as simple as saying, “we need this guy or we need that guy!” A lot of variables to how he approaches this.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Applause 1

16 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The thing with the Rangers is that when you look at this roster and this team, there is nothing they don’t have. They have depth. They have elite level scoring. We have young, emerging stars. We have experience. We have superstars that aren’t archaic old that have all had big playoff moments. We have the best goalie in the league. We have one of the best coaches in the league. We have a Norris Trophy winning defenseman and tons of good defensemen behind him. We have elite special teams. And we have a team that has grown together and played together for a little while now.

I don’t see a lot of holes.

That said, what Boyle said here is true too. Sometimes, you need to fix the room. Sometimes, you can see that there is just a little something missing that can’t be quantified by looking at the numbers or the level of talent, size and skill.

Again, no one can put their finger on it. When I look at this roster, it’s among the leagues elite. The only ones who would disagree are people who hate the Rangers just to hate the Rangers.

But I do agree that maybe an attitude adjustment, or a bit of a wake up call, is needed in that locker room to adjust the mindset of the room. Because based strictly off talent, I have little to no doubts they can win. But judging off of the fact that they have shown they can bend and break when things go bad? I have some doubts whether or not this roster, as currently constructed, could get its way over the finish line.

Been said a lot and will continue to be said. But this is a major summer for Drury. Not even major summer; major weeks, because this is all on-going now I’d imagine, with the draft and free agency coming up quicker than I think any of us realize. The answer isn’t as simple as saying, “we need this guy or we need that guy!” A lot of variables to how he approaches this.

The two guys who will bring that swagger just happened to be rookies. They can grow into that role...Cuylle and Rempe.

• Keeps it 100 1

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

The two guys who will bring that swagger just happened to be rookies. They can grow into that role...Cuylle and Rempe.

If Lavi lets them play at all.  Cuylle ice time kept getting cut for likes of Roslovic and Chytil in the playoffs.

• Keeps it 100 2

12 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If Lavi lets them play at all.  Cuylle ice time kept getting cut for likes of Roslovic and Chytil in the playoffs.

Yea. But again, they were rookies.

Both Vince and Brooks seem to believe the team isn't running it back (though Brooks is clearly more hardened about it).

National guys (like Friedman) think they will (or should).

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

Both Vince and Brooks seem to believe the team isn't running it back (though Brooks is clearly more hardened about it).

National guys (like Friedman) think they will (or should).

There’s only so many guys that are going to fulfill the comments by Brooks [HOF journalist].

I’d have to really dig around to come up with anything more than Brady Tkachuk. I’d think that cost is Lafreniere and Schneider. Do you really bite that bullet just to get it?

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

There’s only so many guys that are going to fulfill the comments by Brooks [HOF journalist].

I’d have to really dig around to come up with anything more than Brady Tkachuk. I’d think that cost is Lafreniere and Schneider. Do you really bite that bullet just to get it?

Nope. The idea would be to get Tkachuk with Lafreniere.

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

What it comes around to is that there are only about six or seven guys like that in the league, and four or five of them are on Florida. 

You're just not going to find those guys who have that kind of bite and can also score. To your point, they're just not out there. 

But if you even look at Florida and you look at a guy like Barkov, You don't need to be a prick, you just need to be relentless. Relentless in the sense that every check gets finished, there are no flybys. 

I don't know if you can ingrain that into the current players. What made Florida so successful is that they were grinding the Rangers down, but you can also grind down the Panthers. You have to hit them as much as they hit you, and this team just wasn't willing to do that. 

You don't need to be an asshole about it, you just need to handle your business, don't let the defenseman get off the wall after they move the puck, don't let anybody dump it in without paying a price. 

Again, I don't know if you can get this team to be that way but they certainly have enough size to be able to do it. They just don't. 

Would help to get bigger on Defense, Even the guys with size don't grind.

I don't think you need all that to win, by the way, but I think you needed to get out of the East just because of Florida. 

I think this team could have beaten Dallas or Edmonton. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

And again, now it’s just because we lost to the Panthers and now the feeling is “they have more bite, we need to be like them!” Last year, we lost to Jersey and the thought process was we lost to a fast team and we need to be more like them. One thing I enjoyed listening to Laviolette at the end of season presser was him explain that Florida plays their brand, and we play ours. We need to further improve our brand. We aren’t Florida. Florida plays their way, has the horses to do that and will play that way. And just because they got us this year doesn’t mean they will next year if we continue to improve our game.

There isn’t one set formula to win. If there were, the blueprint would be out and every team would follow it to a T. We have some tidying up to do, for sure. But stick with the process. That’s not to say that if a deal comes up that makes sense to round you out a little more that you don’t make it. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

35 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m already bored..

spacer.png

I keep saying it... There should be no expectation of big moves this summer. 

If it happens, it's a bonus. But I don't think it's something anybody should be waiting on the edge of their seat for. Chances are you're likely to be disappointed. 

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And again, now it’s just because we lost to the Panthers and now the feeling is “they have more bite, we need to be like them!” Last year, we lost to Jersey and the thought process was we lost to a fast team and we need to be more like them. One thing I enjoyed listening to Laviolette at the end of season presser was him explain that Florida plays their brand, and we play ours. We need to further improve our brand. We aren’t Florida. Florida plays their way, has the horses to do that and will play that way. And just because they got us this year doesn’t mean they will next year if we continue to improve our game.

There isn’t one set formula to win. If there were, the blueprint would be out and every team would follow it to a T. We have some tidying up to do, for sure. But stick with the process. That’s not to say that if a deal comes up that makes sense to round you out a little more that you don’t make it. 

This is correct. Nobody was looking at Dallas or Edmonton this year and thinking what rugged teams they were.

The commonality of successful Cup winning teams is the ability to generate consistent offensive opportunities, and the ability to limit sustained pressure and high quality chances by the opponent. There’s different ways to accomplish that, but the Rangers were mediocre at all of it last year. Again, 22nd in xGF% and 21st in HDCF%. Eventually the lack of cohesive and consistent offense/defense rears its ugly head well more often than not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I keep saying it... There should be no expectation of big moves this summer. 

If it happens, it's a bonus. But I don't think it's something anybody should be waiting on the edge of their seat for. Chances are you're likely to be disappointed. 

I just want SOME news to trickle out. Prospect signings or contract talks or anything.

i need something to do while I pretend to work