• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Difficulty is not a reason not to try.

Call. Try.

I agree.

The alternative is a quit and fold.

Which they shouldn’t.

Not saying that. 

And they’re clearly going to try.

Just understand that how they try may be more in line with augmenting what they have than what you or anyone else thinks they should do.

All I know is that Drury really fucked up by getting two most offensively inept, soft ass talentless mother fuckers who should've been beaching in Mexico in April, at the trade deadline.  Either he did not believe this team was good enough to win it all and didnt go after the best available RW and C, or he's just a shitty GM who couldnt make a deal.  Either way he missed the boat.  It's great that he kept 29th AO pick in a shitty draft, but i have no confidence in him whats-so-ever. 

• LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

All I know is that Drury really fucked up by getting two most offensively inept, soft ass talentless mother fuckers who should've been beaching in Mexico in April, at the trade deadline.  Either he did not believe this team was good enough to win it all and didnt go after the best available RW and C, or he's just a shitty GM who couldnt make a deal.  Either way he missed the boat.  It's great that he kept 29th AO pick in a shitty draft, but i have no confidence in him whats-so-ever. 

30th 😜

Posted (edited)

Couldn't be any clearer at this point that Zib spends too much time trying to put others in a position to succeed at the cost of taking advantage of his own scoring chances.

If you want to get goals out of him, a playmaking right wing is the way to go.

Edited by Pete

21 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Chytil was active. Just couldn’t produce.

Zibanejad and Kakko and Roslovic stunk. No surprise.

This just tells us what we already knew: the Rangers had one line that was good at scoring at 5v5 last season.  And Panarin didn't really show up in round 3.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Couldn't be any clearer at this point that Zib spends too much time trying to put others in a position to succeed at the cost of taking advantage of his own scoring chances.

If you want to get goals out of him, a playmaking right wing is the way to go.

Zib's timing and reflexes are degrading at an alarming rate at this point.  He misses the one-timer or breaks his stick on it a lot more than he did two seasons ago.  He mishandles the puck when receiving it often at this point, leading to no shot or a poorer shot.  Two seasons ago he was just adjusting his position slightly and taking a good shot anyway unless the pass was terrible.

I take no joy in stating these obvious facts at this point.

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Zib's timing and reflexes are degrading at an alarming rate at this point.  He misses the one-timer or breaks his stick on it a lot more than he did two seasons ago.  He mishandles the puck when receiving it often at this point, leading to no shot or a poorer shot.  Two seasons ago he was just adjusting his position slightly and taking a good shot anyway unless the pass was terrible.

A broken stick is no one's fault.

None of those other "observations" are obvious facts, just more arbitrary scouting reports that we have to treat as fact because you say so.

Now what's been covered, including by Boyle, is that he's too close to the goals line and needs to come back up closer to the dot so he has more net to shoot at and the goalie has less time to react.

Edited by Pete

34 minutes ago, Br4d said:

i agree with this.  a puck on Zib's stick is a hot potato, especially on the PP.  Whatever happened to his stickhandling abilities?

14 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

i agree with this.  a puck on Zib's stick is a hot potato, especially on the PP.  Whatever happened to his stickhandling abilities?

He's getting old.  It's happening slowly but it's happening.

He tries to do too much IMO. It’s like his legs move at a different speed than his brain. And when Mika panics and tries to do too much, it’s often ugly. He needs to control his emotions and play free and easy. The guy has a ton of talent and one of the best shots you’ll ever see. He needs to get back in the lab and learn to simplify his approach.

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He tries to do too much IMO. It’s like his legs move at a different speed than his brain. And when Mika panics and tries to do too much, it’s often ugly. He needs to control his emotions and play free and easy. The guy has a ton of talent and one of the best shots you’ll ever see. He needs to get back in the lab and learn to simplify his approach.

He has to do everything because his line mates don't do anything. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

He has to do everything because his line mates don't do anything. 

I know you and I have had our talks about Kreider, and see eye to eye on that. Not sure others do, but I know we do. And while I do acknowledge that, it’s also a little bit on him too. He needs to up the ante. It’s not as if he has had the runts of the litter to play with here. He’s been given tons of different guys, in and out of house, and for one reason or the other, it just hasn’t clicked.

Thats not all on him. I get that.

But he does wear some of the blame. It can’t just be on everyone else who has played there and not him.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Even strength points

Kreider | Zib

21-22:  39 | 48

22-23: 33 | 50

23-24: 41 | 35

Zero to do with Kreider folks. It's isolated to Zib.

Glad that's settled.

Wouldn’t say it’s zero.

But it’s not all on his linemates.

They all need to be better. That goes Zibanejad, Kreider and whoever the hell is playing on the other wing.

Posted (edited)

I think the issue is that they show flashes of brilliance and pure domination. The size, speed, power and skill that the two of them possess, their ability to score short handed and up a man, just all of it as a package. Their chemistry at times.

Then, for stretches, for really long stretches, either one or both look lost, disinterested or out of touch.

And then they snap back into it for a little while. And the world is right again.

And then they’re out of a sync for another few weeks.

The Jekyll and Hyde of it is what really gets me. Because in the playoffs, we really need them to be the consistent difference makers. Sure it’s nice when Kreider pops a natural hat trick to win a game. And it’s nice when Mika gets almost a hat trick of his own in a period at home against Carolina.

But it can’t just be that, then silence. It can’t just be heroics one night, and then 6 games without even a competitive shift. It needs to be a mindset where you need to dominate each shift. Obviously you’re not gonna have the best shift of your career every shift. And you’re not gonna have the best game of your career every night. But they need to have that mindset that they need to dominate, and they need to be more consistent in their approach and in their games. Way too many fly-by’s for that duo and it needs to end if we’re gonna have a shot here. They need to be more consistent and less up and down all the time. 

Edited by RichieNextel305

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Even strength points

Kreider | Zib

Glad that's settled.

These stats don't prove what you're suggesting they do. 

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Wouldn’t say it’s zero.

But it’s not all on his linemates.

They all need to be better. That goes Zibanejad, Kreider and whoever the hell is playing on the other wing.

41 even strength points was a career high for Kreider. It seems to me he stepped up his production a bit in Zibanejad's stead. He's 33 years old. There's really no getting better out of Kreider. If Zib all of a sudden requires better, it's because Zib regressed and the solution should fit the problem.

I see 3 options:

1) Change his role

2) Find a high impact RW who can drive the line if Zib can't anymore

3) Nothing/swap the spare part on the right, and hope Zib re-finds his previous level of play

I prefer option 2, but would settle for option 1 if the right RW is not available. What will Drury pick? Probably option 3. Lol.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Even strength points

Kreider | Zib

Glad that's settled.

I'll do the playoff teams vs non-playoff teams for '23-24 and see if it is as unbalanced as last season.

Last season Zib had 4 goals against the playoffs teams at even strength and 14 goals against the also-rans.

Just editing to say the Rangers played 39 games against playoff teams and 43 against the also-rans in '22-23.

Edited by Br4d
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think the issue is that they show flashes of brilliance and pure domination. The size, speed, power and skill that the two of them possess, their ability to score short handed and up a man, just all of it as a package. Their chemistry at times.

Then, for stretches, for really long stretches, either one or both look lost, disinterested or out of touch.

And then they snap back into it for a little while. And the world is right again.

And then they’re out of a sync for another few weeks.

The Jekyll and Hyde of it is what really gets me. Because in the playoffs, we really need them to be the consistent difference makers. Sure it’s nice when Kreider pops a natural hat trick to win a game. And it’s nice when Mika gets almost a hat trick of his own in a period at home against Carolina.

But it can’t just be that, then silence. It can’t just be heroics one night, and then 6 games without even a competitive shift. It needs to be a mindset where you need to dominate each shift. Obviously you’re not gonna have the best shift of your career every shift. And you’re not gonna have the best game of your career every night. But they need to have that mindset that they need to dominate, and they need to be more consistent in their approach and in their games. Way too many fly-by’s for that duo and it needs to end if we’re gonna have a shot here. They need to be more consistent and less up and down.

Zib has said more than once that when the pucks aren't going in, he starts to lose confidence and shoots less, and he also focuses more on defense which is exactly what happened this season. 

So then you have to start looking at why the pucks aren't going in, and the shot selection. Shayna already broke that down in her Athletic article, and talked a lot about how much work Zib has to do lugging the puck. Kreider has shown an inability to do that. He is also shown an inability to retrieve dump ins.

A right wing to ease the load on transporting the puck and zone entries would help both players. 

I think the only reason there's an effort to deflect the well deserved lion's share of the blame away from Zibanejad, is because we are stuck with him. I get it. Try to focus on the positives in an unfortunate situation. I don't think it helps him to deflect blame though. I think he should own it and I think there's a chance he can rebound. Panarin shouldered a lot of blame last year, and had a career year even if he still couldn't maintain it in the playoffs. The good news is, Zibanejad was very good in the 2022 playoffs. If he rebounds, you might yet see some quality when it matters.

He's also still a good player regardless. It just changes the outlook for the Rangers on what they need from the center position on an accelerated timeline. Instead of having 4 years to worry about a top 6 center, it might be 2 years.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Zib has said more than once that when the pucks aren't going in, he starts to lose confidence and shoots less, and he also focuses more on defense which is exactly what happened this season. 

So then you have to start looking at why the pucks aren't going in, and the shot selection. Shayna already broke that down in her Athletic article, and talked a lot about how much work Zib has to do lugging the puck. Kreider has shown an inability to do that. He is also shown an inability to retrieve dump ins.

A right wing to ease the load on transporting the puck and zone entries would help both players. 

That last part sounds like something Patrick Kane can do.

And he could be had for not too much.

I wonder if that’s an avenue worth re-investigating for a year. If you can’t deal Trouba and you’re not dealing with a ton of funds.

I know some may not be about that. But if he can be had cheap on a 1-Year deal and he could help that line, I’m all for it.

Edited by RichieNextel305