• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

12 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

There's a large "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" factor here.  If Drury doesn't sign Igor and they don't win the cup, large elements will call him the worst GM in history.

I dunno if it’d reach that kind of level of criticism, but he would get some flak for sure.

A good GM sits down and realizes he has to pick a lane, and trade him or sign him. It’s how Drury has operated with 2 other players who I can think of. He signed Zib the year before UFA, and traded Buch with one RFA year left.

1 hour ago, BreakawayMachine said:

To New Jersey

Shesterkin

Kaappo

3rd

To New York

1st, 2nd

Dawson Mercer

Luke Hughes

This is a good deal value-wise but you have to have cast-iron balls to trade Shesterkin to the Devils or Isles.

Don't want to hear Igor chants in the metro area unless he's playing for the Rangers.

I kind of wonder about the Benoit Allaire announcement timing.

It's the kind of thing you want to happen before an Igor trade not afterwards because if it happens afterwards it is commentary on the trade.

Edited by Br4d
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I kind of wonder about the Benoit Allaire announcement timing.

It's the kind of thing you want to happen before an Igor trade not afterwards because if it happens afterwards it is commentary on the trade.

It is interesting. There's two other theories too. One could be he's getting wind that Igor might potentially get moved, and is at a point in his career where he doesn't want to invest fully into a new goalie. Another could be that this is the last Allaire-coached goalie the organization will have, which makes it tougher to trade out of it. We don't know what a new non-franchise goalie would do with Allaire, let alone without him.

• Like 1

I think we’re reading way too much in to that. The fact of the matter is it is much more likely the Rangers and Igor agree to an extension at some point in the next few weeks/months than it is he leaves. We can all agree or disagree on it. But I don’t see him walking. 

Just have to hope the cap hit is as low as possible. With the cap rising and the fact that the Panarin cap hit is off the books by that time, it’s manageable IMO.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think we’re reading way too much in to that. The fact of the matter is it is much more likely the Rangers and Igor agree to an extension at some point in the next few weeks/months than it is he leaves. We can all agree or disagree on it. But I don’t see him walking. 

Just have to hope the cap hit is as low as possible. With the cap rising and the fact that the Panarin cap hit is off the books by that time, it’s manageable IMO.

Yeah but that’s boring 

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah but that’s boring 

We’re all going stir crazy and it’s the Finals.

August is gonna be here before we know it and we’re going to be asking one another to send selfies.

Hockey off-season. Yawn Central. Everyday but like 5.

• LOL 1

The one to surpass is the eight-year, $84 million contract that Carey Price signed with the Montreal Canadiens in 2018, which carries an average annual value of $10.5 million. The expectation is that figure will be the floor in the Shesterkin negotiations, with the ceiling as high as $12 million.

The two sides will likely land somewhere in the middle, with the Rangers appealing to the Russian's desire to win in their pitch to keep the AAV as close to $10.5 million as possible.

Edited by BrooksBurner

I don't envy Drury here. They so badly needed to win while he was affordable and didn't. Now, he's going to be unaffordable no matter what you agree to and it's going to dramatically limit their ability to field a highly competitive team in front of him.

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't envy Drury here. They so badly needed to win while he was affordable and didn't. Now, he's going to be unaffordable no matter what you agree to and it's going to dramatically limit their ability to field a highly competitive team in front of him.

I still remember wanting to sign him for 8 years at a higher cap hit when he was originally up for extension. As usual, the Rangers never think about long term when it comes to RFA contracts. Then they get into penny pinching mode, completing buyouts, paying draft picks to get teams to take their bloat, losing players like Buch, etc. It’s astounding, and it’s not the right way to have a chance at creating a dynasty.

They always do the bare minimum with planning ahead. Drury has a major opportunity to start changing that this summer.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 1

The way I look at it is if Shesterkin and the Rangers agree to a $10M AAV extension, it’s less than 10% of the cap. That’s not to say it’s not a lot but when the cap is $92 Million, you should still be able to field a winning team with it. Florida is doing it with a goalie making $10 Million a year and that’s with a cap lower than what it will be in time for next season by almost 7 or 8 Million. So saying that they found reclamation projects and hit on them doesn’t fly considering they’re doing it now with this cap. If they can manage that, then the Rangers can manage Shesterkin when the cap is higher IMO. Especially considering that during those years, hopefully Lafreniere really comes into his own and hits stride and outplays his next contract and if Perreault and/or Othmann hit the ground with some type of traction. I don't think this is as much of a death knell as others.

When the Kings beat us, the salary cap was at $64.3 Million. Jonathan Quicks cap hit was at $5.8M, thus taking up 11 percent of the cap room. When the Caps won, Holtby and his $6.1M cap hit took up over 12% of the $75 Million Dollar salary cap. When Tampa won their Cups, Vasilevskiy was making $9.5M AAV, and they still figured it out. It can be done. That’s just a few examples.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I still remember wanting to sign him for 8 years at a higher cap hit when he was originally up for extension. As usual, the Rangers never think about long term when it comes to RFA contracts. Then they get into penny pinching mode, completing buyouts, paying draft picks to get teams to take their bloat, losing players like Buch, etc. It’s astounding, and it’s not the right way to have a chance at creating a dynasty.

They always do the bare minimum with planning ahead. Drury has a major opportunity to start changing that this summer.

I know it's popular to shit on everything the Rangers do and act like we could have done it better, but Shesterkin had arbitration rights and there are 2 parties negotiating here. It could be he didn't want the long term deal because he wanted one more crack at a UFA contract. The Rangers didn't have all the leverage. He also had some injury issues and didn't have the biggest body of work at the time.

It's not always that the Rangers "never think" or always do it wrong. 

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 1

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

We’re all going stir crazy and it’s the Finals.

August is gonna be here before we know it and we’re going to be asking one another to send selfies.

Hockey off-season. Yawn Central. Everyday but like 5.

You can send me selfies 365 Bebe 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The way I look at it is if Shesterkin and the Rangers agree to a $10M AAV extension, it’s less than 10% of the cap. That’s not to say it’s not a lot but when the cap is $92 Million, you should still be able to field a winning team with it. Florida is doing it with a goalie making $10 Million a year and that’s with a cap lower than what it will be in time for next season by almost 7 or 8 Million. So saying that they found reclamation projects and hit on them doesn’t fly considering they’re doing it now with this cap. If they can manage that, then the Rangers can manage Shesterkin when the cap is higher IMO. Especially considering that during those years, hopefully Lafreniere really comes into his own and hits stride and outplays his next contract and if Perreault and/or Othmann hit the ground with some type of traction. I don't think this is as much of a death knell as others.

When the Kings beat us, the salary cap was at $64.3 Million. Jonathan Quicks cap hit was at $5.8M, thus taking up 11 percent of the cap room. When the Caps won, Holtby and his $6.1M cap hit took up over 12% of the $75 Million Dollar salary cap. When Tampa won their Cups, Vasilevskiy was making $9.5M AAV, and they still figured it out. It can be done. That’s just a few examples.

My guy...

10M would be 11.63% of 88M cap next year...For him to be 10% of cap, cap would have to go to $100M...right?

Quick at 11% of 64 Million is 7.04, not 5.8.

Holtby at 12% of 75 Million is 9, not 6.1.

Tampa only won 1 Cup with Vasi at 9.5, and Kuch was on LTIR.

Florida is doing it now with this cap ONLY because they have value contracts. They wouldn't be able to fit Reinhart (add $4M), Montour (add at least $3M), Verhaege (add $4M) at market prices for what they bring, AND pay Bob $10M.

Think of  it this way, the Rangers paid CK and Panarin around $20M for about 100 goals between them. Florida just paid Reinhart and Verhaege $10M for about 100 goals. 

See the difference?

Edited by Pete

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

My guy...

10M would be 11.63% of 88M cap next year...For him to be 10% of cap, cap would have to go to $100M...right?

Florida is doing it now with this cap ONLY because they have value contracts. They wouldn't be able to fit Reinhart (add $4M), Montour (add at least $3M), Verhaege (add $4M) at market prices for what they bring, AND pay Bob $10M.

Think of  it this way, the Rangers paid CK and Panarin around $20M for about 100 goals between them. Florida just paid Reinhart and Verhaege $10M for about 100 goals. 

See the difference?

That’s next year. Igor isn’t up this coming season. Igor is up following season, when the cap is projected to be at $92 Million. So it would be 9% of the cap.

I can’t speak for other contracts on the books. At that point, Panarin is in his walk year, Kreiders deal is nearing its end, etc.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

My guy...

See the difference?

My math….

OH MY GOD MY MATH!

My math.

Thats all. My math is so ugly.

So bad. Just so. Fucking. Bad.

My math is bad.

Woof.

• LMFAO 1

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

That’s next year. Igor isn’t up this coming season. Igor is up following season, when the cap is projected to be at $92 Million. So it would be 9% of the cap.

I can’t speak for other contracts on the books. At that point, Panarin is in his walk year, Kreiders deal is nearing its end, etc.

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

My math….

OH MY GOD MY MATH!

My math.

Thats all. My math is so ugly.

So bad. Just so. Fucking. Bad.

My math is bad.

Woof.

Haha yea, and 10m of a 92m cap is 10.87% 🤣 

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well I know who’s not a CPA

A CPA? Bro, I couldn’t teach long division to my nephew.

Numbers and me? Ooof. Sometimes hit, sometimes miss.

This time? A miss.

Luckily my job requires only basic math that I can read off a gauge.

Good fucking grief.

• LOL 2
  • VINNY! 1

13 hours ago, Sod16 said:

There's a large "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" factor here.  If Drury doesn't sign Igor and they don't win the cup, large elements will call him the worst GM in history.

No more than $9 million per year.

15 hours ago, Pete said:

I know. You just said that. What I'm telling you is he has to agree to it and all indications are that he wants to be the highest paid goalie in the league. 

If he wants to contend for the cup, it would be in everyone's interest that he would agree to $9 million per year max.

Honestly i’d rather say “bye” to shesty. We’ve already tried this scenario with Henrik, where a goalie gets overpaid and it didnt really work. I would be perfectly happy with a lesser goalie making around $5M and a better product in front of him. 

7 hours ago, Phil said:

That’s exactly why Drury needed to do better at this year’s trade deadline than he did.  He was kinda lucky that Chytil going on LTIR gave him extra cap space.  He needed to do better than Roslovic and Wennberg.  Should’ve moved that #30 first round pick in a weak draft.   

5 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

That’s exactly why Drury needed to do better at this year’s trade deadline than he did.  He was kinda lucky that Chytil going on LTIR gave him extra cap space.  He needed to do better than Roslovic and Wennberg.  Should’ve moved that #30 first round pick in a weak draft.   

You can only make the deal that's there. The deals weren't there for him, I'm sure. 

You also can't just keep selling all your assets at the deadline. The Rangers don't have a 2nd until 2027 and a 3rd until 2026. You can't trade what you don't have, and you also can't keep trading what you do have.