• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Just now, Phil said:

Not for a lack of effort. They tried. They failed because they're inferior, not because of a lack of will. It's a roster composition issue.

Effort and want was there. 100%. I think the most frustrating thing I’m going to read all summer is that they didn’t want it. Has nothing to do with want. They all want it. They grow up dreaming about it.

You have to be good enough and possess the right mix of a lot of stuff to win it though. The Rangers don’t have it and the solution isn’t swapping ELC bottom 6 players or a coach.

I’m open to a lot of ideas this summer including trading Kreider. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no hope as long as Panarin and Trouba are on the roster. Two more years barring a trade, and I think there’s a chance for that this summer.

Posted (edited)

Zibenejad signing a huge f'n mistake by Drury.

6 YEARS left on that contract with a NTC!!!

And this is only partially 'hindsight is  20/20'

Zib had already been in decline relative to his big Covid shortened season 40+ goal performance. He had already gone through some big slumps before the extension was offered.

Granted - it would have been quite ballsy to let him walk because he was still a top player and nearly homegrown. But looking like a big mistake right now.

At least Panarin got them to the dance a bunch of times, even if he can't bring home the bacon on his own. And only 2 years left, so honestly, still a good signing if you ask me.

Trouba sucks. Needs to go. Wish Lavy and Drury had the balls to keep him on the bench when Jones was performing. Think that could've had an impact going into the playoffs and in the playoffs.

Edited by Jdog99

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

They'll extend Gustafsson. Roll it back. Big brain stuff. This league is incredibly lame when it comes to trades. Stuff rarely happens.

The cap makes trades almost impossible. 

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Effort and want was there. 100%. I think the most frustrating thing I’m going to read all summer is that they didn’t want it. Has nothing to do with want. They all want it. They grow up dreaming about it.

You have to be good enough and possess the right mix of a lot of stuff to win it though. The Rangers don’t have it and the solution isn’t swapping ELC bottom 6 players or a coach.

I’m open to a lot of ideas this summer including trading Kreider. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no hope as long as Panarin and Trouba are on the roster. Two more years barring a trade, and I think there’s a chance for that this summer.

It's gonna sound like philosophical bullshit, but the solution is simple: D needs to be more mobile, O needs to be more hostile. Emulate Florida.

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I feel you Zucc but nah, too many thought the Rangers were the best team in the league and flaunted it, tried to shit on anyone with a realistic take like yours here. They don’t get let off the hook and they know who they are.

It’s very obvious there’s a large gap between the Rangers and what is required to go the distance in the playoffs. I hope Drury sees that. You can’t just rearrange the chairs around the same kitchen table anymore.

Some people wanted to support the team. Others wanted to be right on the Internet. YOU know who YOU are.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. I'm furious, because I hate the style of play that this teams' top players play with, but they 150% lost to the better team. This wasn't a catastrophe. It was a masterclass in understanding what it takes to actually win in the playoffs with intent. They can learn a truck load of lessons from this series alone, especially with regard to roster construction.

Yeah, the only thing I was thinking that entire 3rd period was «that’s how you play a 3rd period with a lead in the playoffs». The Rangers have no idea how to do that.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's gonna sound like philosophical bullshit, but the solution is simple: D needs to be more mobile, O needs to be more hostile. Emulate Florida.

So how do we pry Brady Tkachuk from Ottawa?

• Keeps it 100 2

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Yeah, the only thing I was thinking that entire 3rd period was «that’s how you play a 3rd period with a lead in the playoffs». The Rangers have no idea how to do that.

Nope. They know how. They just can't pull it off because they're inferior.

4/6 or 5/6 D can't move the puck. Injury or otherwise. And the F group is the same homogenous mix of pass-happy, big-for-no-reason, soft skill players. That mix is great in December. Deadly in June.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

The defensive group is probably the biggest issue on the team.

Lindgren-Fox is too small of a pairing. They get pushed around. Obviously that means find a different partner for Fox. The right partner isn’t on the roster.

Trouba is…everybody knows. Brutal.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

Sadly, I was never able to fully enjoy the wonderful experiences of the succesful season. Because since the embarassing loss against the Devils last year I always had it in the back of my mind that this team around "leaders" like Trouba, Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and Kreider would reach its limits again in the playoffs. It's just too obvious that Bettman will never ever hand over the Stanley Cup to a captain like Trouba. Or that Panarin is not made for playoffs hockey. These guys are too old to progress into the right direction and will hold us back for years to come. Very good seasons are a waste, if I can't hope for more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lindgren-Fox is too small of a pairing. They get pushed around. Obviously that means find a different partner for Fox. The right partner isn’t on the roster.

I’ve been saying Fox miller should be a pair for A while now. 

They need to find a cannon large enough yo shoot trouba to china. Let him Be their problem. 

• LOL 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Some people wanted to support the team. Others wanted to be right on the Internet. YOU know who YOU are.

Stop. I’ve been here mostly every game for years. I bleed this team. There was no reason for the slander just because I had a different view on things. I wasn’t alone.

You know what’s better than winning when you know your team is good and it’s expected? Winning against all odds. The New York football Giants super bowls were the best sports memories of my life and they had to defy the odds both times to do it. Everyone knew they weren’t the best teams, but they played the best the days the games were played. It was magical and I hoped to see it this year with my favorite sports team.

That’s all I’m going to say about it.

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Undeniably. Honestly, I don't re-sign Lindgren. His deal will age like rotten milk.

The way I see it, Fox-Miller is first pairing next year. Schneider is second pair. Find him a partner who can move. @Drew a Penalty mentioned Kylington.

Trouba has to be put down.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ve been saying Fox miller should be a pair for A while now. 

They need to find a cannon large enough yo shoot trouba to china. Let him Be their problem. 

I hate what I see out of Miller defensively. I think his susceptibility to complete lapses and brain farts are permanent, but I’d be content with it for at least next year.

Miller-Fox

X-Schneider

Lindgren-Y

Solve for X and Y.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Stop. I’ve been here mostly every game for years. I bleed this team. There was no reason for the slander just because I had a different view on things. I wasn’t alone.

Do you even hear yourself? You were more than a willing aggressor more than half the time. But you always came from a place of negativity. The more you try to act like you're better than everyone, the more you just show that you're just a different side of the same coin.

Yea you weren't alone, But others managed to make points without being an ass. So I returned what you (and those like you) put out. 

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Undeniably. Honestly, I don't re-sign Lindgren. His deal will age like rotten milk.

The way I see it, Fox-Miller is first pairing next year. Schneider is second pair. Find him a partner who can move. @Drew a Penalty mentioned Kylington.

Uh-oh.....can't wait to read the responses about this.

One team wanted it more and it showed. Florida did everything and anything they had to win games and they earned the series win. If not for Igor, would have been a sweep.  Igor deserves better because I don't see this Ranger core deciding that they will play the way Florida did any time soon and there is no way to break them up for a few years, so Igor will make them a good team, like Hank carried them for years, and won't have a real shot at a cup unless he is traded or decides he wants to move on.  

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I hate what I see out of Miller defensively. I think his susceptibility to complete lapses and brain farts are permanent, but I’d be content with it for at least next year.

Miller-Fox

X-Schneider

Lindgren-Y

Solve for X and Y.

I still have hope that they were growing pains. 

the rangers need to lean into his skill-set which is offense.  Use him and Fox as an offensive pair. 

2nd unit can be the shut down pair.

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Uh-oh.....can't wait to read the responses about this.

I mean, it's true. Plus, like @BrooksBurner said, he and Fox are too small for a top pairing. I admire the hell out of him, but there's a real price problem with him at UFA. These types of players are great when they're ELC or make $2–3 million. Not $5 million.

Just now, Phil said:

I mean, it's true. Plus, like @BrooksBurner said, he and Fox are too small for a top pairing. I admire the hell out of him, but there's a real price problem with him at UFA. These types of players are great when they're ELC or make $2–3 million. Not $5 million.

I'm not saying it's not true.....I got roasted about suggesting this during the playoffs 2 seasons ago, and again last season.  

1 minute ago, Phil said:

It comes down to price. If he asks for 5 I lean towards moving on. 

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think I still like Lindgren on a cheap deal for 3rd pair. He’s always been asked to punch way above his weight. I know his analytics were like Trouba bad this year, but I kinda feel like he’s got something to offer in a lesser role

Open to anything though. They have to start rolling half this roster over to set up for Lafreniere’s prime over the next 8-10 years anyway