• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

I may get shot for this, but if Philly retained some salary, I would entertain it. Small, sure. Little older too. But fiesty guy who has quickness and can finish. He would be in his walk year. Cap hit is $5.8. If Philly retained some, I would entertain this. He would have a lot to prove, including that he is worthy of another contract and the fact he didn’t vibe all too well in Philly with Tortorella.

On the cheap, I would listen.

15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I may get shot for this, but if Philly retained some salary, I would entertain it. Small, sure. Little older too. But fiesty guy who has quickness and can finish. He would be in his walk year. Cap hit is $5.8. If Philly retained some, I would entertain this. He would have a lot to prove, including that he is worthy of another contract and the fact he didn’t vibe all too well in Philly with Tortorella.

On the cheap, I would listen.

Trade them Goodrow for Atkinson and a future 2nd.

38 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Neatly explains the blowout in the Ranger's Euro scouting staff a couple of seasons ago.

Maybe you can afford to miss a high pick here and there but the Rangers did that consistently: Anderson, Kravtsov, Lundqvist and Kakko.  That's a really rough group of selections in a three year period.

Would be so nice if the NHL went to international dimensions for the ice surface.  You'd get less people blowing out because they're not constitutionally inclined for the contact the NHL's tighter ice surface promotes.

Would mean taking out a mess of seats, and the most expensive ones in each and every arena at that. That is never going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Neatly explains the blowout in the Ranger's Euro scouting staff a couple of seasons ago.

Maybe you can afford to miss a high pick here and there but the Rangers did that consistently: Anderson, Kravtsov, Lundqvist and Kakko.  That's a really rough group of selections in a three year period.

Would be so nice if the NHL went to international dimensions for the ice surface.  You'd get less people blowing out because they're not constitutionally inclined for the contact the NHL's tighter ice surface promotes.

The Rangers didn't miss on Kakko. Any team picking second would have taken him. "Missing" implies they took him early. Taking him at second had very little to do with their scouting staff getting it wrong. Everyone got it wrong. 

It also wasn't just the picks they made, it was the promises they made to the players about role and ice time. It's literally the reason VK kept going home. Because the scouts promised him he wouldn't have to play in Hartford and he kept getting sent to Hartford. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

So basically coming back with the same team.  

I think we have one more year with this squad, Blue.  Not a terrible thing though...we did win the President's Trophy with these guys.  I bet there will be some additions/changes and they will be damn good.

The TDL in March will most likely be most entertaining this coming season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

So basically coming back with the same team.  

I mean, that's one fan's opinion. Both Brooks and Mercogliano seem dead set on not believing they're simply running it back. I have no idea what that means, but the idea of minimal changes, to me, seems off the table.

Oh, you can add CJ to that mix, too:

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, that's one fan's opinion. Both Brooks and Mercogliano seem dead set on not believing they're simply running it back. I have no idea what that means, but the idea of minimal changes, to me, seems off the table.

Oh, you can add CJ to that mix, too:

There's going to be change, but some contracts are just immoveable. So it won't be the guys everyone whines about all year.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

There's going to be change, but some contracts are just immoveable. So it won't be the guys everyone whines about all year.

I mean, probably not, but we don't know for sure. Similar things were said of Goodrow just a few days ago when we all believed the only way out was a buyout. They managed to clean break that. Crazy shit happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, probably not, but we don't know for sure. Similar things were said of Goodrow just a few days ago when we all believed the only way out was a buyout. They managed to clean break that. Crazy shit happens.

That's not at all the same. Everyone knew he was going, it was just a matter of how, trade or buyout. No one saw hidden option 3 (claim), but no one should have been surprised by waivers.

It's very different to expect guys with full NMCs not to be here next year. 

The shocker would be Kreider, less so Trouba, but Drury would get bonus points if he moved them both (just because he can, not because he should).

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

If someone here proposed a lineup that had Goodrow completely cut out at no asset cost and no retention, they would have been told they were living in a fantasy world.

Nothing is unrealistic here. Drury asking a big gun to waive their NMC is not unrealistic. Drury finding a taker for Trouba's full enchilada may not even be unrealistic. Drury trading Igor instead of signing him to a $12M extension may not even be unrealistic. It's all on the table baby.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 2

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's not at all the same. Everyone knew he was going, it was just a matter of how, trade or buyout. No one saw hidden option 3 (claim), but no one should have been surprised by waivers.

It's very different to expect guys with full NMCs not to be here next year. 

The shocker would be Kreider, less so Trouba, but Drury would get bonus points if he moved them both (just because he can, not because he should).

I don't agree. Specifically on Trouba. He makes $8 million and he's the team's captain. No matter how you feel about him personally, that's a huge culture shock move if you get rid of him, in whatever fashion.

Just now, Phil said:

I think we can start to sketch around what that means. 

We know Trouba's on the rocks. That's one path that we've all gone down, including Vince. And Vince said on a recent pod something to the effect of "if you gave Drury truth serum, he'd admit that he'd like to explore moving on from Trouba"

We know there's a critical mass of LW in the system, and not enough C or RW. Panarin has complete control over his status, but Kreider does not. And I think we can be very blunt - Kreider would fetch a franchise-altering ransom since he is the best net-front presence in the NHL and

he does score a lot of goals - even if he does it in a very specific way. 

We know that there are a few massive contract discussions coming up - Laf and Miller aren't quite at the line yet, but Lindgren and Shesterkin are. Wonder if they're available, though I cannot begin to imagine what a Shesterkin trade looks like. 

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't agree. Specifically on Trouba. He makes $8 million and he's the team's captain. No matter how you feel about him personally, that's a huge culture shock move if you get rid of him, in whatever fashion.

Maybe. Culture isn't a person, though. It's an approach to the job - it's mindset, and the impacts linger and morph over time. 

The Rangers have 5 guys who could wear that C and positively evolve the culture they've built over the past few years. 

Just now, LindG1000 said:

Maybe. Culture isn't a person, though. It's an approach to the job - it's mindset, and the impacts linger and morph over time. 

The Rangers have 5 guys who could wear that C and positively evolve the culture they've built over the past few years. 

That doesn't change what I said. It would have a significant impact in that room. The team pushed for him to be named captain. You/we can belittle that all we like from the outside, but internally, it very much matters.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

That doesn't change what I said. It would have a significant impact in that room. The team pushed for him to be named captain. You/we can belittle that all we like from the outside, but internally, it very much matters.

It depends on who pushed. I don't need to call out that the team, when the puck dropped on the 2022-23 season, was in a very different place than we are now. 

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sure, but his defensive lapses and ill-timed penalties matter too. Would much rather use that 8M on someone that will help this team. 

I'm not saying it's not merited, I'm specifically addressing/attacking @LindG1000's flippant remark about how "The Rangers have 5 guys who could wear that C and positively evolve the culture they've built over the past few years."

It took them how long after they traded McDonagh to even name another captain? Let's not pretend this is just a letter. It's an incredibly important position we're asking them to remove. I'm not saying don't do it. I would, too. All I'm saying is treat it with the gravitas it deserves and let's not pretend there won't be a negative impact here, culturally, or otherwise.

Kreider to Boston just seems like such a perfect fit.  They need skill players desperately and the entire lineup provides the grit that Kreider occasionally is lacking.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm not saying it's not merited, I'm specifically addressing/attacking @LindG1000's flippant remark about how "The Rangers have 5 guys who could wear that C and positively evolve the culture they've built over the past few years."

It took them how long after they traded McDonagh to even name another captain? Let's not pretend this is just a letter. It's an incredibly important position we're asking them to remove. I'm not saying don't do it. I would, too. All I'm saying is treat it with the gravitas it deserves and let's not pretend there won't be a negative impact here, culturally, or otherwise.

They traded McDonagh and entered a rebuild.

Kreider evidently doesn’t want it, because you’d have to assume by now it’s been offered. He’s been here since 2012. Some guys just don’t feel comfortable wearing that. Remember it took time with Jagr for him to feel comfortable wearing it. 

Trouba was brand new. Mika and Kreider didn’t want it. And both that initial first season with Trouba had uncertain futures here (their long-term deals were not yet done). So yeah, it took time then.

Now? I don’t see how it doesn’t get stitched right onto Trocheck. Or even, wild card, Lafreniere, especially if you re-sign him long term. Could be your Captain the next decade plus.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Believe 1