• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Right, so why are we being so flippant about how essentially anyone can do this job? They clearly can't, or they would have given it to Kreider or Zibanejad or whomever else.

I could see Trocheck or Lafreniere, maybe, but again, the weight of this role is real. It's not a video game.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm not saying it's not merited, I'm specifically addressing/attacking @LindG1000's flippant remark about how "The Rangers have 5 guys who could wear that C and positively evolve the culture they've built over the past few years."

It took them how long after they traded McDonagh to even name another captain? Let's not pretend this is just a letter. It's an incredibly important position we're asking them to remove. I'm not saying don't do it. I would, too. All I'm saying is treat it with the gravitas it deserves and let's not pretend there won't be a negative impact here, culturally, or otherwise.

First, no, I don't think it's flippant to say that five other guys could wear the C. Heck, I'm probably undercounting. We had six guys wearing letters last year, and that doesn't include Ryan Lindgren, who I think has a fucking ton of respect in the room. It doesn't include Vincent Trocheck, who again, ton of respect in the room. And it doesn't include Alexis Lafreniere, who is probably our next Captain, is loved in that room, and actually elevates his game when the rubber hits the road.

I just don't think it's a crushing negative to trade Trouba and reallocate that cap money to, say, a mid-six RW and a legit defender, and think that the team's going to be so butthurt and miserable about getting measurably better that they'll be worse off for it.

14 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

First, no, I don't think it's flippant to say that five other guys could wear the C. Heck, I'm probably undercounting. We had six guys wearing letters last year, and that doesn't include Ryan Lindgren, who I think has a fucking ton of respect in the room. It doesn't include Vincent Trocheck, who again, ton of respect in the room. And it doesn't include Alexis Lafreniere, who is probably our next Captain, is loved in that room, and actually elevates his game when the rubber hits the road.

I just don't think it's a crushing negative to trade Trouba and reallocate that cap money to, say, a mid-six RW and a legit defender, and think that the team's going to be so butthurt and miserable about getting measurably better that they'll be worse off for it.

I liked the idea of Laf wearing the C but in reality, he just started to take off, I don't want that weight on his shoulders. Just don't make it Fox. His attitude annoys me already, I don't want to see his facial expressions anymore than we already do.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

I liked the idea of Laf wearing the C but in reality, he just started to take off, I don't want that weight on his shoulders. Just don't make it Fox. His attitude annoys me already, I don't want to see his facial expressions anymore than we already do.

The C stands for Chin. 

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't agree. Specifically on Trouba. He makes $8 million and he's the team's captain. No matter how you feel about him personally, that's a huge culture shock move if you get rid of him, in whatever fashion.

The Rangers have traded their captain eight times since 1964.

Unless Trouba pulls off some miraculous workout regime over the summer and gets faster, better, smarter & cheaper, I really think this team won't hit the next level with him here wearing that "C".

The team can say what they want.  The proof is in the pudding!

I know he's most liekly going no place, and we're probably stuck with him for one more year, but I hope Drury is at least TRYING to move him as painlessly as possible.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right, so why are we being so flippant about how essentially anyone can do this job? They clearly can't, or they would have given it to Kreider or Zibanejad or whomever else.

I could see Trocheck or Lafreniere, maybe, but again, the weight of this role is real. It's not a video game.

Spot on. Especially on Kreider. Career Ranger and productive and has at least portrayed some leadership qualities. He didn’t get the C for a reason. Either his own choice, or there was something Gallant/Drury didn’t like.

Trocheck just signed when they named Trouba captain. It really feels like he’s stepped up and made himself a good choice to take it over. Keep it warm for Laffy in a few years.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

At least one of whom turned it down. Could, should, and would are not synonyms. The reason I say you're being flippant is because we literally have evidence from every one of the Rangers' last three captains who either admitted directly, or were suspected of succumbing to the weight of that C in their first year (and sometimes beyond).

Being a captain is more than just hyping the guys up — it's a full-time job. The guy who wears it isn't just the designated media speaker, he's the one coordinating everything, off-ice routines, off-season workouts, everything.

As to your last point, you're missing mine, again. I just said I'd do the same. I believe the same. I just don't think it's the non-factor you think it is. The players pushed for him to be named captain. That speaks volumes to me. You aren't going to simply subtract that (and Goodrow — another vocal leader in the room) and not experience some negative impacts.

Definitely wait a few years before handing the C to Laf.

It is interesting though that when Tro and Laf were being interviewed together Tro made the offhand remark that Laf could be a bit of an ass at times.  That sounds like Captain material.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I know he's most liekly going no place, and we're probably stuck with him for one more year, but I hope Drury is at least TRYING to move him as painlessly as possible.

We'll he is going someplace, and it's just a matter of whether it's this off season or next, because they simply can't keep his $8m on the books simultaneously with the last year of the Panarin contract and the first of the Sheshty and LaF mega-re-ups.  

Just now, Sod16 said:

It's just a matter of whether it's this off season or next, because they simply can't keep his $8m on the books simultaneously with the last year of the Panarin contract and the first of the Sheshty and LaF mega-re-ups.  

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

We'll he is going someplace, and it's just a matter of whether it's this off season or next, because they simply can't keep his $8m on the books simultaneously with the last year of the Panarin contract and the first of the Sheshty and LaF mega-re-ups.  

I'm hoping you're right, Sod.  We really need his cap hit, and I think Trouba's best years are pretty much over with.  I think it's going to be easier to deal him after this coming season, when he has one year left on that deal, but who knows.

I hate to have to "sweeten" the deal and throw in a valuable prospect or draft pick, just so some team takes him.  That's the main reason I think we're stuck with him for this year.  Like I said though, I hope you're right!

On 6/20/2024 at 1:23 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

Instead of adding a $2M defenseman, you can substitute Jones in and save nearly $1.2M on the cap. But just a rough breakdown.

Or....

Panarin - Tro - Laf

Guentzel - Zib - Othmann

Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Vesy - $1m guy - Rempe

Miller - Fox

Dillon - Schneider

Jones - Kulikov

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Or....

Panarin - Tro - Laf

Guentzel - Zib - Othmann

Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Vesy - $1m guy - Rempe

Miller - Fox

Dillon - Schneider

Jones - Kulikov

What happened to Kreider ?

3 hours ago, Phil said:

At least one of whom turned it down. Could, should, and would are not synonyms. The reason I say you're being flippant is because we literally have evidence from every one of the Rangers' last three captains who either admitted directly, or were suspected of succumbing to the weight of that C in their first year (and sometimes beyond).

Being a captain is more than just hyping the guys up — it's a full-time job. The guy who wears it isn't just the designated media speaker, he's the one coordinating everything, off-ice routines, off-season workouts, everything.

As to your last point, you're missing mine, again. I just said I'd do the same. I believe the same. I just don't think it's the non-factor you think it is. The players pushed for him to be named captain. That speaks volumes to me. You aren't going to simply subtract that (and Goodrow — another vocal leader in the room) and not experience some negative impacts.

I don't understand why you're making this a hill to die on. 

You can say what you want about stars not showing up in the postseason, but there is literally one player left on the roster who does not live up to his contract in the regular season. I don't think I need to tell you who it is. 

Leaders come and go, and Captains emerge from unlikely places. 

I can't imagine why you would think him being the captain makes him immovable. To your earlier point, it's the shit contract that makes him immovable, but he is completely replaceable on the ice and in the locker room. 

The next guy to wear the C is not like the act that came on after the Beatles. Let's not get crazy here.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't understand why you're making this a hill to die on. 

You can say what you want about stars not showing up in the postseason, but there is literally one player left on the roster who does not live up to his contract in the regular season. I don't think I need to tell you who it is. 

Leaders come and go, and Captains emerge from unlikely places. 

I can't imagine why you would think him being the captain makes him immovable. To your earlier point, it's the shit contract that makes him immovable, but he is completely replaceable on the ice and in the locker room. 

The next guy to wear the C is not like the act that came on after the Beatles. Let's not get crazy here.

I suggest you read what I've said, because I literally didn't say this. I said exactly the opposite. I think he's movable and I want to move him. What I'm pushing back on is Mike's flippancy regarding the importance of the role. If this team actually had five or six guys who could actually handle the captaincy, they'd have been named captain already and wouldn't have banded together to urge the FO to name Trouba captain.

Just now, Long live the King said:

Picks, prospects, cheap 4th line C or partner for Jones.  The return doesn't matter.  The point is a roster money and a spot for Guentzel. 

That would be an awful return, but unfortunately you're correct... Not everyone considers the return. It's all about the next sexy name in the market who we can be mad at in a year because they didn't do exactly what we wanted them to do. 

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

I suggest you read what I've said, because I literally didn't say this. I said exactly the opposite. I think he's movable and I want to move him. What I'm pushing back on is Mike's flippancy regarding the importance of the role. If this team actually had five or six guys who could actually handle the captaincy, they'd have been named captain already and wouldn't have banded together to urge the FO to name Trouba captain.

I don't really remember reading anything about how all the players went to the front office and asked for Trouba to be captain. That might be a little revisionist history. There's a difference between lobbying for a guy to be captain and getting asked who you think the captain will be and throwing out a name. 

As far as the role goes, another leader will emerge. They always do. Otherwise we should just name Messier captain coach GM shroom guide and wherever else. 

Even if I completely aligned with your point, I don't align with the value you're assigning it.

12 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Kreider and Zibanejad to Boston for Ullmark, Poitras and #1.  
Then Shesterkin for Tkachuk.  

You almost had it...until Shesty for Tkachuk....Tough sell for Ottawa.