• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He was stuck in Detroit for too long. Not even your boy Kaner could drag them to the playoffs

I won't hide the laughable emoji the way you do. 

🤣 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't really remember reading anything about how all the players went to the front office and asked for Trouba to be captain. That might be a little revisionist history. There's a difference between lobbying for a guy to be captain and getting asked who you think the captain will be and throwing out a name. 

As far as the role goes, another leader will emerge. They always do. Otherwise we should just name Messier captain coach GM shroom guide and wherever else. 

Even if I completely aligned with your point, I don't align with the value you're assigning it.

I'm not gonna split hairs. All I'm saying is maybe don't pretend like this is an irrelevant aspect of building a championship culture. Another leader will emerge, no doubt, but cutting out Goodrow and Trouba will have consequences. This isn't a video game.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I'm not gonna split hairs. All I'm saying is maybe don't pretend like this is an irrelevant aspect of building a championship culture. Another leader will emerge, no doubt, but cutting out Goodrow and Trouba will have consequences. This isn't a video game.

It definitely will. For as bad or overpaid as we can say those two are, they along with Lindgren have been the de facto “lead with their heart on their sleeve” gritty players. That’s why they had letters and were respected. There’s a learning curve if you lose all that.

The funny thing is there’s a big trade Lindgren movement happening in Rangers fan land too. Wild. Just trade all of the heart on the team. Brutal.

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, you don't need to tell me that. I'm not the one suggesting we should trade Panarin to Boston. 

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It definitely will. For as bad or overpaid as we can say those two are, they along with Lindgren have been the de facto “lead with their heart on their sleeve” gritty players. That’s why they had letters and were respected. There’s a learning curve if you lose all that.

The funny thing is there’s a big trade Lindgren movement happening in Rangers fan land too. Wild. Just trade all of the heart on the team. Brutal.

There are probably two choices with Lindgren right now.

1.  Sign him to a $5M/6 deal that he is not going to be able to finish out due to punishment.

2. Do what's necessary to solidify the next window and not have a cap check every season between now and 2030.

And no, I don't think Lindgren would be a big part of that cap check but I also don't think he's going to be worth more in a few years than Barclay Goodrow was this year and for the same reason - cap hit out of range of his contributions.

I dont think Lindgren is worth $5M per. What exactly does he bring other than being a punching bag?  He’s not a top stay at home D. He’s not a shutdown D. He’s not overly physical. So he works great with Fox, is that his only attribute?  And is it worth $5M per?

• Bullseye 1

30 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You just seem like you’re at the point where no matter what happens in the next week to 10 days, you’re gonna be of the belief this team stinks.

That lineup posted is not winning a Cup, but it doesn’t mean they would stink.

Drury would have to do some major selling for this team not to be a playoff team next year. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he could trade any single one player off this roster and it’s still a playoff team. I just think the quality of playoff team they need to move towards to win a Cup is not attainable next year or anytime soon by the moves I saw in that lineup.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That lineup posted is not winning a Cup, but it doesn’t mean they would stink.

Drury would have to do some major selling for this team not to be a playoff team next year. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he could trade any single one player off this roster and it’s still a playoff team. I just think the quality of playoff team they need to move towards to win a Cup is not attainable next year or anytime soon by the moves I saw in that lineup.

The Rangers will make the playoffs next year.  But they may just win the Cup if they upgrade their defense and physicality.

Not sure how anyone can make definitive predictions on what lineups can and can't win a Cup, today. 

There's a team currently poised to win a Cup who's top left wing was a healthy scratch in the last round, A guy in the top nine who scored 4 goals this year, and a rookie on the second line... And they're defense currently features Nurse and Ceci. 

If I told you that last June, some might have said that team has no chance to win a Cup, either. 

(And please spare me "any team with McDavid and Draisatl has a chance" nonsense)

Can't just post opinion as fact and everyone has to fall in line around that assumption. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not sure how anyone can make definitive predictions on what lineups can and can't win a Cup, today. 

There's a team currently poised to win a Cup who's top left wing was a healthy scratch in the last round, A guy in the top nine who scored 4 goals this year, and a rookie on the second line... And they're defense currently features Nurse and Ceci. 

If I told you that last June, some might have said that team has no chance to win a Cup, either. 

(And please spare me "any team with McDavid and Draisatl has a chance" nonsense)

Can't just post opinion as fact and everyone has to fall in line around that assumption. 

Knuckblock?

8 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Add cohesive back checking to the list.

Yeah I was considering that part of defense. A lack of cohesive forecheck and back check is probably more the issue with getting pinned in the DZ more than defensive personnel. Look at Florida’s defensemen. And Edmonton’s. Nothing special.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I was considering that part of defense. A lack of cohesive forecheck and back check is probably more the issue with getting pinned in the DZ more than defensive personnel. Look at Florida’s defensemen. And Edmonton’s. Nothing special.

True. Flo’s forecheck is tenacious 

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ekblad and Frosling are special defensemen for the Panthers. They stepped up during the ECF.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You just seem like you’re at the point where no matter what happens in the next week to 10 days, you’re gonna be of the belief this team stinks.

100 pts doesn't stink and the Rangers could move a couple of their stars and likely still do that.

However it don't win a Stanley Cup.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Rangers1994 said:

Ekblad and Frosling are special defensemen for the Panthers. They stepped up during the ECF.

Forsling looked like a Norris trophy winning defenseman against the Rangers.  Not so much in the finals though.