• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Miller is a lot better on defense when they don’t pair him with Trouba.  His offensive game could be so much better than it is.  Always waits too long to shoot the puck and does some stupid shit around the blue line that leads to breakaways and odd man rushes for the other team.   

• Keeps it 100 1

Basically move is Brady Tkachuk. Need a attitude adjustment, apply paddles. 

Don't know what that takes but won't be cheap. Gonna hurt, has to be done. This core ain't getting it done. 

At least we don't really have to talk about coaching this offseason.

Lavy was so far and above both Quin and GG...that change alone turned this team from pretender to contender.

But...historically Lavy does seem to eventually plateau so who knows about the future. And it may yet be possible to question whether Knoblauch or Roy would've been the better long term solutions.

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Basically move is Brady Tkachuk. Need a attitude adjustment, apply paddles. 

Don't know what that takes but won't be cheap. Gonna hurt, has to be done. This core ain't getting it done. 

I can’t even conjure up an offer for Tkachuk that Ottawa would be interested in. Lafreniere? Non starter for me. Brady ain’t Matthew.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I can’t even conjure up an offer for Tkachuk that Ottawa would be interested in. Lafreniere? Non starter for me. Brady ain’t Matthew.

Brady ain't Matt — but he's bigger and meaner. That said, can't help but feel you're right. They'd want Laf. Rangers won't agree. Talks would rapidly fall apart. Any combination of Othmann, Kakko, and Goodrow ain't enticing shit.

Yea...for all the Brady love...where the hell has that gotten Ottawa.

We saw huge progress just from making a coaching change.

Just making a few more realistic shrewd personnel moves could also move the needle.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Brady ain't Matt — but he's bigger and meaner. That said, can't help but feel you're right. They'd want Laf. Rangers won't agree. Talks would rapidly fall apart. Any combination of Othmann, Kakko, and Goodrow ain't enticing shit.

Yup.

I think Miller/Kakko/Perreault is about the best they could try to do and Ottawa just doesn’t need an LD, so it’s moot

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Yup.

I think Miller/Kakko/Perreault is about the best they could try to do and Ottawa just doesn’t need an LD, so it’s moot

I don't think they'd even want more Othmann/Perreault prospects. A lot of the talk this year was that they have no quality veteran players and not enough 200 foot players. It's why everyone was trying to will Goodrow into random trade talks. Marek was just talking a week or two ago about how it goes Giroux, then a massive drop off to everyone else.

How is adding more untested kids into the mix fixing that?

3 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Yea...for all the Brady love...where the hell has that gotten Ottawa.

We saw huge progress just from making a coaching change.

Just making a few more realistic shrewd personnel moves could also move the needle.

NYR were not in on his brother or Eichel. How has that worked? 37 goals. Don't want to lose Laffy, but 6 foot 4, 24,  nasty 

Just now, Phil said:

I don't think they'd even want more Othmann/Perreault prospects. A lot of the talk this year was that they have no quality veteran players and not enough 200 foot players. It's why everyone was trying to will Goodrow into random trade talks. Marek was just talking a week or two ago about how it goes Giroux, then a massive drop off to everyone else.

How is adding more untested kids into the mix fixing that?

Makes sense

Speaking of Goodrow, I think they might be able to trade him without retaining money after his playoff performance that is very unlikely to be repeated lol

This is the most catastrophic loss for this franchise maybe since 2014.

This is the worst one since Alec Martinez. This is bad.

Franchise is at a crossroad. This teams core really, truly let them down. And it’s inexcusable. This team had a mission. And after last year, we did the same way and on the same sword: of the lack of production of our baby shit core that cannot and will not hack it when the going gets tough.

You have to change the culture of the room up. There isn’t enough want there. All of our worst fears came true: they’re soft and cannot change without being changed themselves.

I am more disgusted and sad and disappointed in this then any other team in recent memory. Years past, it was anger. This is disappointing. It was all there, right in front of us. And we fumbled up. I am enraged.

• Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

NYR were not in on his brother or Eichel. How has that worked? 37 goals. Don't want to lose Laffy, but 6 foot 4, 24,  nasty 

They could've and probably would've been if they were not attached to extending Mika. Too late.

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Makes sense

Speaking of Goodrow, I think they might be able to trade him without retaining money after his playoff performance that is very unlikely to be repeated lol

I always thought they could trade him. Especially to a contender.

• Believe 1

2 targets, big guys, ;locals; Sens C Shane Pinto and Canes D Brett Pesce (unrestricted). Reinhart is unrestricted but the $ is not the couch cushions for that contract.

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There is nobody in this team who shouldn't be available right now. Lafreniere included for the right price. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This is the most catastrophic loss for this franchise maybe since 2014.

This is the worst one since Alec Martinez. This is bad.

Franchise is at a crossroad. This teams core really, truly let them down. And it’s inexcusable. This team had a mission. And after last year, we did the same way and on the same sword: of the lack of production of our baby shit core that cannot and will not hack it when the going gets tough.

You have to change the culture of the room up. There isn’t enough want there. All of our worst fears came true: they’re soft and cannot change without being changed themselves.

I am more disgusted and sad and disappointed in this then any other team in recent memory. Years past, it was anger. This is disappointing. It was all there, right in front of us. And we fumbled up. I am enraged.

I can't see Drury letting this one go easily.

2022: The core got a free pass as it was their first deep run.

2023: The core got another free pass and the coaching staff took the bullet for them (albeit with their own shortcomings)

2024: I really can't see Drury (and maybe even Dolan) allowing this core to get another free pass. 

And so I'm expecting some tough painful decision made this off-season. It won't be easy and will need a lot of creative cap juggling and working the phones. But I'm expecting the landscape of this team to be very different come October. These guys can hug it out and share some tears together this weekend cause some of them are going to be casualties as a result of this.

Edited by Karan
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Karan said:

I can't see Drury letting this one go easily.

2022: The core got a free pass as it was their first deep run.

2023: The core got another free pass and the coaching staff took the bullet for them (albeit with their own shortcomings)

2024: I really can't see Drury (and maybe even Dolan) allowing this core to get another free pass. 

And so I'm expecting some tough painful decision made this off-season. It won't be easy and will need a lot of creative cap juggling and working the phones. But I'm expecting the landscape of this team to be very different come October. These guys can hug it out and share some tears together this weekend cause some of them are going to be casualties as a result of this.

Trouba should be moveable but how do you get rid of Zibanejad?

Frankly he's at the top of the problem list if you ask me.

• Keeps it 100 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Trouba should be moveable but how do you get rid of Zibanejad?

Frankly he's at the top of the problem list if you ask me.

Trouba is light years ahead of Zib on the list of issues. Zibenajad had a monster fuck up in Game 5 but he wasn't giving anything up defensively, and they even mentioned tonight how this was a story of depth, nobody's top six let the world on fire. 

Trouba actively cost us multiple goals across many series. Many of them were directly his fault, and while I normally hate blaming one person on any particular goal that's just the long and short of it.

They simply can't afford to keep him on the payroll. Anybody can say what they want about Zib but he produces points commensurate with his contract along with his defensive ability. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Trouba is light years ahead of Zib on the list of issues. Zibenajad had a monster fuck up in Game 5 but he wasn't giving anything up defensively, and they even mentioned tonight how this was a story of depth, nobody's top six let the world on fire. 

Trouba actively cost us multiple goals across many series. Many of them were directly his fault, and while I normally hate blaming one person on any particular goal that's just the long and short of it.

They simply can't afford to keep him on the payroll. Anybody can say what they want about Zib but he produces points commensurate with his contract along with his defensive ability. 

I mean at the top of the list behind Trouba who should be moveable.

Sure, if Zibanejad had just 2-3, maybe even 4 more years on his contract - I'd agree with your sentiment and think it reasonable or doable to ride it out with him.

But for 6 more years? No way. That looks like a terrifying prospect.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Jdog99 said:

I mean at the top of the list behind Trouba who should be moveable.

Sure, if Zibanejad had just 2-3, maybe even 4 more years on his contract - I'd agree with your sentiment and think it reasonable or doable to ride it out with him.

But for 6 more years? No way. That looks like a terrifying prospect.

I'm just looking at the easiest people to move. Zib has the NMC.

Trouba modified NTC, Kreider the same. Kreider undoubtedly has the most value and you probably wouldn't even have to retain salary. 

Kreider to me is Marleau. His playoff stats seem sexy because he was fortunate enough to play on a lot of teams that made the playoffs, and they're near the franchise leaders in playoff points and that's great, but I once did a breakdown of Marleau playoff stats and they significantly drop round by round year over year. 

Like I said, at this point I'm not tied to anybody on this roster, I would trade anyone and I would welcome anyone back as long as some other things change. They can't run it back, but I'm just not seeing away that's the whole thing gets blown up. 

Posted (edited)

How many of you would consider trading Lafraniere, Chytil, Trouba and #1 pick for Pinto and Brady? I would even throw Kakko in if I had to.  Only problem is Trouba won’t want to go there.  

If I’m Drury I want to make this team heavier and get rid of Trouba too.  
I don’t want to trade Othmann because he hits people.  And Perrault should be off the table.  

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

How many of you would consider trading Lafraniere, Chytil, Trouba and #1 pick for Pinto and Brady? I would even throw Kakko in if I had to.  

If I’m Drury I want to make this team heavier and get rid of Trouba too.  
I don’t want to trade Othmann because he hits people.  And Perrault should be off the table.  

I would not lean too much into this