• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Edmonton won’t and probably shouldn’t change much of anything with respect to their core. That’s one you keep running it back with. Nurse is the only guy to try to dump but they’re stuck with him. Nobody is taking him and that contract.

16 minutes ago, Flynn said:

And it begins. 

Just a question... He only has a couple years left... Just was wondering... I reality I don't expect much... 

But the failures of this core is being repeated year after year... They need a star. It's obvious that Bread can be taken out and the Z and Kreider have lost something... 

They have no superstar in the minors and Laff and Kakko are limited... 

What is truly next... More of the same, great regular season and disappear in the playoffs or make a serious change... 

Although sneider is beloved around here, he gave up some crucial goals in the Florida series. Not sure why everyone is so sure he should be moved up. 

I am just so disappointed... Not sure how this team can push the end without legit goal scorers

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Just a question... He only has a couple years left... Just was wondering... I reality I don't expect much... 

But the failures of this core is being repeated year after year... They need a star. It's obvious that Bread can be taken out and the Z and Kreider have lost something... 

What is truly next... More of the same, great regular season and disappear in the playoffs or make a serious change... 

Although sneider is beloved around here, he gave up some crucial goals in the Florida series. Not sure why everyone is so sure he should be moved up. 

I am just so disappointed... Not sure how this team can push the end without legit goal scorers

I’d give my left nut… and probably the right one. But I don't see it happening for another 5 years of brutal disappointments for 97 before we get to that stage. 

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Or it's just really hard to win.  

Conn Smyth trophy winner Conner McDavid.  

0 points in game one loss.

1 assist in game two loss.

0 points in game seven loss.

How wants this disappearing scrub?

McDavid's finals was the equivalent of Kakko only scoring goals when the Rangers were up 5.

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Any chance Rangers could get McDavid on this squad...? 

Probably not.  He's probably happy in Edmonton, but moving to NY or LA would enhance the McDavid Brand substantially.  If he were my client, I'd tell him take a contract for $4m a year less with the Kings or Rangers.  You'll make more from all sources, especially in the long term after you retire.

2 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Probably not.  He's probably happy in Edmonton, but moving to NY or LA would enhance the McDavid Brand substantially.  If he were my client, I'd tell him take a contract for $4m a year less with the Kings or Rangers.  You'll make more from all sources, especially in the long term after you retire.

If this was really a thing the Rangers would be signing everyone to team friendly deals so either jury is really bad and negotiating contracts or it’s not real.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

If this was really a thing the Rangers would be signing everyone to team friendly deals so either jury is really bad and negotiating contracts or it’s not real.

Exhibit A: Gretzky

Exhibit B: Panarin

Actually, I think that my observation only applies to generational talents like Gretzky and McDavid who have the potential for national endorsements and attention.  A guy like Jake Guentzel is a top NHL player, but he's not a brand which is enhanced by being in LA or New York.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Or it's just really hard to win.  

Conn Smyth trophy winner Conner McDavid.  

0 points in game one loss.

1 assist in game two loss.

0 points in game seven loss.

How wants this disappearing scrub?

McDavid's finals was the equivalent of Kakko only scoring goals when the Rangers were up 5.

Seriously? Such a poor excuse.... Winning is hard. 😭😭😭

Give me a fucking break... You have a goalie playing out of his mind and no response to how to score... Same thing happens every year... 

I hope you are not comparing McDavid to Kakko in the playoffs from a couple of outliers... That's ridiculous... What's worse is look at panarin outside of the Washington series in all of his ranger playoff career... That is sad... 

They need another sniper that can handle and drive through traffic... Trochek helped but his handling to get through lines is messy. 

Laf although much improved is not the superstar the Rangers desperately need. 

And Kakko is basically a line filler.. Not sure why they keep paying him year after year... He is a net negative at the moment.. 

So I guess the Rangers are just doomed for failure until they can get rid of the core? 

Because to be honest this is a cruel joke. 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Seriously? Such a poor excuse.... Winning is hard. 😭😭😭

Give me a fucking break... You have a goalie playing out of his mind and no response to how to score... Same thing happens every year... 

I hope you are not comparing McDavid to Kakko in the playoffs from a couple of outliers... That's ridiculous... What's worse is look at panarin outside of the Washington series in all of his ranger playoff career... That is sad... 

They need another sniper that can handle and drive through traffic... Trochek helped but his handling to get through lines is messy. 

Laf although much improved is not the superstar the Rangers desperately need. 

And Kakko is basically a line filler.. Not sure why they keep paying him year after year... He is a net negative at the moment.. 

So I guess the Rangers are just doomed for failure until they can get rid of the core? 

Because to be honest this is a cruel joke. 

Yeah, the playoffs are hard. You can laugh it off, but I don't think you'll see many players laughing. 

Everybody's favorite unicorn Matt Tkachuk was too hurt from playing "his style" to have an impact last year which might have cost his team a Cup.

This season he had something like two goals in the last 17 playoff games. Barkov had four.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, the playoffs are hard. You can laugh it off, but I don't think you'll see many players laughing. 

Everybody's favorite unicorn Matt Tkachuk was too hurt from playing "his style" to have an impact last year which might have cost his team a Cup.

This season he had something like two goals in the last 17 playoff games. Barkov had four.

It is a ridiculously shallow excuse for what we watched for the last few decades...

Sure playoffs are hard but it is be a piss poor excuse that solves nothing... 

So you think just running it back each year is going to magically solve the major issues... That is insane

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

We can cherry pick a bad few game stretch or series here and there for anyone, that’s life. Certain Rangers catch heat because they have shown a lengthy, sustained pattern of performance regression in the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

It is a ridiculously shallow excuse for what we watched for the last few decades...

So you think just running it back each year is going to magically solve the major issues... That is insane

I'm sorry you feel that way 

• LOL 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

We can cherry pick a bad few game stretch or series here and there for anyone, that’s life. Certain Rangers catch heat because they have shown a lengthy, sustained pattern of performance regression in the playoffs.

Barkov had five goals in the last 17 games last postseason, too.

In their elimination game they lost 9-3. 

It's almost like the playoffs are really hard, and top players are often shut down, which is why depth is important. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Barkov had five goals in the last 17 games last postseason, too.

In their elimination game they lost 9-3. 

It's almost like the playoffs are really hard, and top players are often shut down, which is why depth is important. 

It’s not just about points. It’s not fantasy hockey.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s not just about points. It’s not fantasy hockey.

Cool so let's talk about how much more time and space Lafreniere and Trocheck get because they play with Panarin.

I'll keep this post pinned for the next time you're whining about how it's only production that matters. 

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

What did we just watch? 

The Rangers lost 3 one goal games to the eventual champs. 

The best player in the world has never won a cup, just made his first finals appearance in 9 years.

The best pure goal scorer in the league hasn't made it out of the first round once in 8 tries.

Yes, it's hard to win.  Really hard.  People are acting like the Rangers suck.  They don't.  Winning the cup is really hard.  That's why there are so many long droughts.  The Rangers have the 4th most playoff wins over the last 20 years.  Just enjoy the ride.

drought.png

Edited by Long live the King
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

The thing that gets me is the impulse that you have to be like everyone else. Every year, new teams win. Some years, a goalie goes nuts and carries you across the finish line. Other years, it’s depth scoring. Other years, system and structure. Other years, elite scoring.

You need to have a little bit of all of that. And on top of it, you need to have luck. And you need to stay healthy.

Look at the Rangers in 2015. That team was a wagon. They beat up everyone they played, they had experience, they had goaltending, they had a guy that finished with 40+ goals. And what bit them was injury and bad luck, running into literally the only team that gave them fits that entire year.

Same here. We steamrolled everyone all year. We ran into the one team that we knew gave us headaches. Just so happens they had the stuff to get it done this year.

You need a lot. There’s not one set formula because if there were, everyone would be following it. You need a little bit of everything, and that includes luck. That’s why I liked Laviolette on break up day saying we’re gonna get back to it and figure out how to get this thing done our way. Not Florida’s way. Not the way VGK won. Not the way the Penguins won in 2017 or the Capitals in 2018.

Our way. You can’t go chasing someone you’re not. No team is perfect, us included. We need some adjustments, some changes. I’m sure Drury feels the same way. But you can’t just rip apart and say “we failed! Build something new!” Otherwise you’re gonna just be chasing and chasing the flavor of the week. Build your way, trust the guys in charge and get back next season and learn from your mistakes and take it with you.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, and they still almost beat Tampa that year, probably should have. Really bad loss, the game seven at home.

Zuccarello in a hospital, McDonagh playing on one leg. Several other guys banged up. Believe Girardi was compromised too.

That year, Tampa swept the season series with us. They kicked the shit out of us in Callahans return. They beat us pretty good in Tampa. They were the only team in the league that really took it to that Rangers team. 

And honestly, no disrespect whatsoever to what eventually was the Champs that year, and a team that knew how to win seeing as how it was their 3rd Cup in 5 years, but I do think that Rangers team, healthy, would have given Chicago a better fight than Tampa. I really do think we could have beat them if we got by Tampa and if we were healthy.

But again, luck. Health. Everything plays into this. Fatigue. Exhaustion. Everything. That Ranger team deserved a lot better. It was like Florida this year where they had grown together, learned together, and then seemed poised to go grab the Cup together.

But they fell short. Thems the breaks. It doesn’t mean there was an error in team building or philosophy. Hell, tons of those guys eventually went on to win Cups; some multiple Cups.

Edited by RichieNextel305