• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

56 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gallant was scapegoated as the only problem. That was incorrect from day one and it still is. The Rangers ranked as bad or nearly as bad in everything important analytically this season. Two things they improved were PK by a couple of percentage points and their good fortune to swing 1 goal games their way, as Brad has pointed out since like December. They still suck at 5v5.

To level set, nothing in your post is true. 

Because they didn't win it all it's easy to say that coming back with basically the same roster is a mistake, but Chytil if he stays healthy is better than Bonino, Brodzinski & Wennberg at 3C and if they sign Kane he's better than Kakko, Wheeler, Roslovic and everyone else they tried at top 6 RW.  Therefore I don't see a regular season drop-off as a foregone conclusion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, “level set” lol

Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gallant was scapegoated as the only problem.

Liar Lie GIF by Fluffy Friends

That was incorrect from day one and it still is.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

The Rangers ranked as bad or nearly as bad in everything important analytically this season.

First off, no one should care about ranks, because that takes into account what other team are doing, and who cares? The measurement is totals, not ranks. These are the numbers that matter: Scoring chances and high danger against. 

GG

5v5 SCA 22/23: 1919

5v5 HDCA 22/23: 823

Lavvy

5v5 SCA 23/24: 1806

5v5 HDCA 23/24: 743

Why are we counting chances not goals? Because it isn't Lavvy's fault Igor was sub .900 for awhile.

Why aren't we counting offensive numbers? Rangers had a lot of injuries to key offensive players like Chytil and Fox. They went all year with no real 3C or 1RW.

Two things they improved were PK by a couple of percentage points and their good fortune to swing 1 goal games their way, as Brad has pointed out since like December.

So it's good fortune and not the fact that they actually had a plan that they stuck to and kept with it, something they never had under GG? Yea it was totally luck...Checks out!

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice

They still suck at 5v5.

They are the very definition of average 5v5, ranking 16 in a 32 team league. "Suck" would be San Jose, -107. Get some perspective.

Now of course there are problems. What professionals do is find out what makes their high end players successful and go get that for them. 

What fans on message boards do is suggest things like "Let's make them miserable so they waive their NMCs! Then we can go sign worse players, which will cumulatively make us better!"

frustrated kristen wiig GIF

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Liar Lie GIF by Fluffy Friends

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

First off, no one should care about ranks, because that takes into account what other team are doing, and who cares? The measurement is totals, not ranks. These are the numbers that matter: Scoring chances and high danger against. 

GG

5v5 SCA 22/23: 1919

5v5 HDCA 22/23: 823

Lavvy

5v5 SCA 23/24: 1806

5v5 HDCA 23/24: 743

Why are we counting chances not goals? Because it isn't Lavvy's fault Igor was sub .900 for awhile.

Why aren't we counting offensive numbers? Rangers had a lot of injuries to key offensive players like Chytil and Fox. They went all year with no real 3C or 1RW.

So it's good fortune and not the fact that they actually had a plan that they stuck to and kept with it, something they never had under GG? Yea it was totally luck...Checks out!

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice

They are the very definition of average 5v5, ranking 16 in a 32 team league. "Suck" would be San Jose, -107. Get some perspective.

Now of course there are problems. What professionals do is find out what makes their high end players successful and go get that for them. 

What fans on message boards do is suggest things like "Let's make them miserable so they waive their NMCs! Then we can go sign worse players, which will cumulatively make us better!"

frustrated kristen wiig GIF

I’ve gone through why they suck at 5v5 and I’m not doing it again.

Now you really want to get into semantics about the word sucks. Lol. It’s relative to expectations. Great, they are technically mediocre. They suck compared to the contenders they are supposed to contend with. That’s why the term pretender exists.

• Bullseye 3

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No one asked you to. You have your feelings and thoughts which you present as facts.  I'm not interested in that.

Now you really want to get into semantics about the word sucks. Lol. It’s relative to expectations. Great, they are technically mediocre. They suck compared to the contenders they are supposed to contend with. That’s why the term pretender exists.

Out of the 15 teams who had a better 5v5 goal diff in the regular season, the only teams who went further in the playoffs than the Rangers were Florida and Edmonton.

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

No one asked you to. You have your feelings and thoughts which you present as facts.  I'm not interested in that.

Out of the 15 teams who had a better 5v5 goal diff in the regular season, the only teams who went further in the playoffs than the Rangers were Florida and Edmonton.

I understand you apparently feel that way, yes. You do you!

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Never mind.

Edited by Br4d
Pushing back against the fates
  • LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Not to mention Winnipeg was 6th in the league in 5v5 GF with 179.  The Rangers scored 167.  Over an 82 game season Winnipeg scored an extra goal every 7 games.  Whoop-de-do.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

If the PP was working as well as it did during the regular season, this team would have been in the Finals(visions of Trouba attempting, badly,  to do things with McDavid, possible nightmares, but i digress, didn't happen) . So they were average 5x5 and among the best in PP and PK; that's a winning combination. Any coach would be happy with that, along with a goalie that was as good as anyone from the All Star break until they were eliminated.

I get it; people are looking for reasons why they didn't advance. We're all pissed off. But basic idea; the PP and especially Mika and Kreider went dead and Barkov (the other guys get paid too)  made it his mission to limit Panarin. And had to watch Trouba do silly things, plus Vesey, one of the better PK guys, was assaulted and knocked out without even 2 minutes.  Fox being hurt didn't help, but complaining about injuries in the playoffs is BULLSHIT . Everyone is to some degree playing hurt. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If the PP was working as well as it did during the regular season, this team would have been in the Finals(visions of Trouba attempting, badly,  to do things with McDavid, possible nightmares, but i digress, didn't happen) . So they were average 5x5 and among the best in PP and PK; that's a winning combination. Any coach would be happy with that, along with a goalie that was as good as anyone from the All Star break until they were eliminated.

I get it; people are looking for reasons why they didn't advance. We're all pissed off. But basic idea; the PP and especially Mika and Kreider went dead and Barkov (the other guys get paid too)  made it his mission to limit Panarin. And had to watch Trouba do silly things, plus Vesey, one of the better PK guys, was assaulted and knocked out without even 2 minutes.  Fox being hurt didn't help, but complaining about injuries in the playoffs is BULLSHIT . Everyone is to some degree playing hurt. 

Here's my POV, every team has warts. But not every team goes to the ECF and is the best team in the NHL. So there are 2 choices here, go along for the ride or constantly bitch about every single thing under the Rangers sun. I know what I'm going to do.

(And yea I bitched about GG, but nowhere near the scale of some of these guys, and bitching about 2-3 things isn't the same as bitching about everything).

21 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Not to mention Winnipeg was 6th in the league in 5v5 GF with 179.  The Rangers scored 167.  Over an 82 game season Winnipeg scored an extra goal every 7 games.  Whoop-de-do.

And how did their season end?

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

And if Carolina’s PK showed up in games 1 and 2, the Rangers would have been out in round 2. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts…

This is why you don’t want to construct a team that lives and dies by special teams. It’s unrealistic to expect it to click every round against great PKs. It’s not the regular season. Florida was 1 for 21 on the PP in the finals. Edmonton, the premier PP of the last several years, was marginally better at 3 for 24. It became a heavyweight classic at 5 on 5.

• Bullseye 1

The Rangers, we have it on good authority, are not shopping Filip Chytil. Indeed, management has Chytil — working out without restriction in Czechia after getting the all-clear — penciled in as the third line center. I guess that ends the concept of acquiring a matchup, physical centerman to anchor the third line.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/27/sports/nhl-draft-could-seal-kaapo-kakkos-rangers-fate/

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Major dice roll. His health is a major question mark. This isn’t a leg or arm. Head injuries become more frequent. I’m very concerned.

The team knows his situation better than anyone. I would be less concerned about his health and more concerned about his role in the lineup...he's not a 3C. He's not even a C. 

I'm really hoping he's actually healthy and a fresh start will help. It's a shame because he was looking pretty good before the concussion early last year. Throwing him into the playoffs, is kind of hard to gauge completely because it's a much different situation, and being out basically the whole year doesn't help. I also think he's the most snake-bit player on the team. lol

This is all well and great, but I don't see Chytil as a shut down, face-off winning, brute of a 3rd line center.  He's really supposed to be a 2nd or 1st liner in my mind.

I look at Boone Jenner as the type player that fits that role....or somebody in that mold.

Chytil scares the fucking bejesus out of me every time he gets the puck.  I know Zibby had the same type issues and the team knows more than me, but why not put him on the RW instead, and bring in a ballsy 3rd line center, if we can.

Maybe there just aren't any available?  If that's the case, then fine....but I just don't see Chyts playing 3C.  ...especially with his faceoff "prowess", and muscle.