• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Chytil had more ES points two seasons ago than Zibanejad had this year. If health is a lesser concern at this stage for Chytil, he’s going to leapfrog Zibanejad at even strength offensively. That gives me an early idea for next season’s ballsy prediction thread 🤭

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe they move him to RW, instead of bringing in Kane?  Which would suck, because I wanna see Kane back here on Broadway!  😃

lol Me too. That could be the backup plan if Kane doesn't wind up signing here. I still think I'd rather have Kane. Haha

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Chytil had more ES points two seasons ago than Zibanejad had this year. If health is a lesser concern at this stage for Chytil, he’s going to leapfrog Zibanejad at even strength offensively. That gives me an early idea for next season’s ballsy prediction thread 🤭

They had every intention of playing Chytil with Panarin this past season, so clearly they have faith in his ability.

Its only about his health 

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Oxymoron

The word you wanted was "contradiction" and it's not. They know his health situation better than anyone.

He's playing 3C because they don't have any Cs and they don't have the money to sign any.

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They had every intention of playing Chytil with Panarin this past season, so clearly they have faith in his ability.

Its only about his health 

He's a better fit at 2C than 3C the issue is he can't win a draw, meaning that if he were to slide in for Trocheck even now, that line would have the puck half as much off the draw.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's a better fit at 2C than 3C the issue is he can't win a draw, meaning that if he were to slide in for Trocheck even now, that line would have the puck half as much off the draw.

Yeah

His faceoff stats are weak and it’s a concern. 

There’s still a lot of offensive upside with him. Ton of skill.

I just wish he could get some real continuity for himself.

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah

His faceoff stats are weak and it’s a concern. 

There’s still a lot of offensive upside with him. Ton of skill.

I just wish he could get some real continuity for himself.

I have no concerns with him as a player at all. He's always oozed offense. I question his role on this team next year. He doesn't project as a 3C. In a few years he'll flip with Zib but that's not going to happen this season.

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is exactly where I'm at with him as well, Pete.

He's not a 3C by any stretch, so I'm kinda hoping he gets moved to RW.  Then again, he's not a 3rd liner either. 

So ok, put him with Zibby on the RW and CK20 on the left.

Ok, now that rules out Kane, because Kane isn't a 3rd line player.

...round and round we go!!  LOL

Rangers have repeatedly said they view Chytil as a center.  He really doesn't fit on the team once they signed Trocheck.    Doubt they can do much about it at this point unless they are totally willing to give up on him for very little return.

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Rangers have repeatedly said they view Chytil as a center.  He really doesn't fit on the team once they signed Trocheck.    Doubt they can do much about it at this point unless they are totally willing to give up on him for very little return.

Well, he did because year 1 Tro showed zero chemistry with Bread, and that's why Tro started at 3C last season. But now that situation has been resolved, Tro and Bread works and I doubt it's broken up out of the gate, that's why I'm questioning Chytil's role.

Of course I also think they say they view him as a center because they don't have any centers.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Well, he did because year 1 Tro showed zero chemistry with Bread, and that's why Tro started at 3C last season. But now that situation has been resolved, Tro and Bread works and I doubt it's broken up out of the gate, that's why I'm questioning Chytil's role.

Of course I also think they say they view him as a center because they don't have any centers.

Yes Tro & Bread had no chemistry the first year, but even before they played together the signing made Chytil a 3C which isn't really the right role for him.

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Yes Tro & Bread had no chemistry the first year, but even before they played together the signing made Chytil a 3C which isn't really the right role for him.

Only because GG is a dummy. Lavvy had the right idea out of the gate.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Think about what this means though.  Zibanejad is on a bad trajectory at this point and that is soon going to become the story in play.

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Only because GG is a dummy. Lavvy had the right idea out of the gate.

If they signed Trocheck originally with the thought of using him as the 3C it was an over payment.  They signed Trocheck for 2C money.  

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

If they signed Trocheck originally with the thought of using him as the 3C it was an over payment.  They signed Trocheck for 2C money.  

Not when your 2C is making 3C money. It's a wash. 

But that's immaterial. It was apparent that Tro and Bread had no chemistry. Trocheck's style lends itself more to 3C than Chytil. But GG had his top 6 and his 4th line and the extra guys found themselves on the 3rd line.

Laviolette constructed lines with roles, something players want (to know their role). "Just go out and play" was a hallmark of GG.

Chytil at 3C now handcuffs Lavvy with how he likes to handle the lineup, so it's up to him to make adjustments now. We'll see how he does.

19 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Think about what this means though.  Zibanejad is on a bad trajectory at this point and that is soon going to become the story in play.

He can still possibly buck that trajectory. 50 ES points to 35 seems more than just a natural decline. Could be an outlier and he’s back up a bit next year.

We are getting in this situation where we are trying to shoehorn a quick fix for KZ, or taking Kreider away and elevating non-top 6 players like Cuylle in his place, while meanwhile putting Chytil in a supposed defensive role. None of it makes sense.

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He can still possibly buck that trajectory. 50 ES points to 35 seems more than just a natural decline. Could be an outlier and he’s back up a bit next year.

We are getting in this situation where we are trying to shoehorn a quick fix for KZ, or taking Kreider away and elevating non-top 6 players like Cuylle in his place, while meanwhile putting Chytil in a supposed defensive role. None of it makes sense.

That's what I mean about Lavvy having to adjust. If Chytil is indeed penciled as 3C, that's no longer a checking unit.

The problem for the Rangers bottom 6 always be a lack of identity as to what the lines are.  Kakko Chytil Cuylle is probably the 3rd line at this point and it’s not a scoring or checking line.  
The 4th line always ends up being spare parts.  

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's what I mean about Lavvy having to adjust. If Chytil is indeed penciled as 3C, that's no longer a checking unit.

Lavi didn’t view Chytil that way to open the year. He had Tro in that spot. The view on Chytil should not change because be got hurt, but what has changed is the view on Tro. Tro rightfully earns and received the most 5v5 minutes from a center on this team. Given the line he’s on, that’s not changing. He’s your 1C by TOI.

This comes down to how to deploy Zibanejad and Chytil.

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The problem is that he was below average at ES vs all the good teams in '22-'23.  Then he's below average against all the teams in '23-24.

He'd better shave his head and come out shooting in '24-'25 because the NHL is going to give him nothing after a two year decline at ES.