• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The problem is that he was below average at ES vs all the good teams in '22-'23.  Then he's below average against all the teams in '23-24.

He'd better shave his head and come out shooting in '24-'25 because the NHL is going to give him nothing after a two year decline at ES.

Yes it’s concerning. I think he needs his 5v5 role and production expectations changed.

Trocheck ascended and took the 1C role from Zibanejad this year. He fits Laviolette’s system like a glove. Chytil was slotted with Panarin to open the year. That’s taken by Trocheck now too.

If the calls to separate Kreider and Zibanejad come to fruition, that pairs Kreider with Chytil. That is not a basis for a 3rd line. It’s the basis for a 2nd line scoring line, which is fine. What role does this leave Zibanejad?

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Who we swinging at on 7/1?.....I think Reinhart is gunna be a Ranger.

rumor is florida is going to re-sign him.

I think kane for sure and at least 1 other big signing or trade

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lavi didn’t view Chytil that way to open the year. He had Tro in that spot. The view on Chytil should not change because be got hurt, but what has changed is the view on Tro. Tro rightfully earns and received the most 5v5 minutes from a center on this team. Given the line he’s on, that’s not changing. He’s your 1C by TOI.

This comes down to how to deploy Zibanejad and Chytil.

Doesn't matter how Lavi viewed Chytil because that was under the lens of him centering Panarin which isn't happening and before he got hurt. 

I'm not going to assume anyone on the Bakery line will have the season next year. You'd love to see it, and you'd estimate that Lafreniere grows and does better, but there's a chance that they all rode Panarin and of he sputters they all will.

I think fans view Trocheck as the 1C but when the lineup card is handed in its Mika and he's expected to score and he's going to be on the powerplay and he's not going to be deployed as a checking center.

And Chytil is fragile and can't be relied on and isn't taking over for Mika anytime soon. Not just his head but it's always something with him.

Yeah, I was thinking that too regarding Panarin and Tro. Both had insane years, career years for them. I don't know if that's going to happen again. I could probably see it from Trocheck, but is Panarin going to get close to 50 and get over 100 points again next season? Who knows. I'd like to think so, with Laf continuing to improve as well. You can't really count on things like that, though.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I was thinking that too regarding Panarin and Tro. Both had insane years, career years for them. I don't know if that's going to happen again. I could probably see it from Trocheck, but is Panarin going to get close to 50 and get over 100 points again next season? Who knows. I'd like to think so, with Laf continuing to improve as well. You can't really count on things like that, though.

I think they can all replicate and Lafreniere could get better because he's the only one who hasn't reached their ceiling, but I'm certainly not going to hitch my wagon to it as automatic. 

28 minutes ago, siddious said:

rumor is florida is going to re-sign him.

I think kane for sure and at least 1 other big signing or trade

It may be a big time Defenseman, Pete.  I have no idea whom, but I'm thinking we might just shore up the absence of Trouba with a mad man!

• Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Man, heatwave + hockey off-season just blows chunks.

Saddle up. After the next week or so we fall into the abyss of talking about reading tarot cards and forecasting who will be the next Ranger captain and why, who will shave their head and/or throw their helmet next year and then debate if that is leadership or not, then discuss how many ways we can dice up the salary cap to accommodate the next big name on Broadway and/or if Shesterkin is worth the money, all to culminate in debating the key of which Brancy sings the national anthem and the decibels of the crowd in the garden. Yayyy!!! Off season!!!

• Applause 1

The only thing that really interests me this off-season is where Laf winds up next season.

He could do linear advancement the way he has recently and be a 65 to 70-ish points guy depending on whether he gets PP1 time (80+ points if that.)

Or he could blow up like he did during the playoffs and be quite the guy for us.

It's exciting to have a player who is heading into 23 with that kind of opportunity.

• Like 1
  • ALEXIS! 1

I’m totally missing the Lafraniere blowing up in the playoffs view.  14 points in 16 games is good it’s not amazing though.  Zibanejad had 16 points in 16 games and we are all trashing his playoff performance.  Just like the season he looked great some games and invisible others.  He made a giant leap this year but he needs to keep advancing before I anoint him the savior of the franchise.  

10 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I’m totally missing the Lafraniere blowing up in the playoffs view.  14 points in 16 games is good it’s not amazing though.  Zibanejad had 16 points in 16 games and we are all trashing his playoff performance.  Just like the season he looked great some games and invisible others.  He made a giant leap this year but he needs to keep advancing before I anoint him the savior of the franchise.  

Yea, he took a massive step in the right direction, but he still has a ways to go, specifically proving he can do it without MVPanarin. 

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Take a look at what teams the production for each came against, and on top of that how much of Zibanejad’s production came on the power play.

So if Zibanejad doesn’t score as much against Carolina they might not make it to the ECF and Lafraniere only had 2 more points against Florida.  The fact is that people are so fast to praise Lafraniere and even faster to put down Zibanejad when they need more from both of them.   

30 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Take a look at what teams the production for each came against, and on top of that how much of Zibanejad’s production came on the power play.

"Zib needs to be replaced on the PP, he's fucking up the PP"

"Zib scores his point on the PP"

JFC pick a lane with the narrative.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

8 5v5 goals against tough competition and he scored them all against the 'Canes and the Panthers.

If we had another guy playing like that we might have advanced.

Laf had 11 points at even strength is why he’s blown up. This is not a small number. Below him on the list is everyone in the rangers, and a number of other notables. He scored greasy and highlight reel goals in the conference final when the rest of the team disappeared. So yeah, he’s a break out star this year, he’s earned the respect. What more does he have to do?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Just now, Valriera said:

Laf had 11 points at even strength is why he’s blown up. This is not a small number. Below him on the list is everyone in the rangers, and a number of other notables. He scored greasy and highlight reel goals in the conference final when the rest of the team disappeared. So yeah, he’s a break out star this year, he’s earned the respect. What more does he have to do?

Definitely had to break out year, not ready to call him a star, yet.

He's well on his way but he's still got some work to do. A little more consistency and a little success away from Panarin will solidify a lot. 

• Keeps it 100 1