• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

17 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

you’ve been a fan long enough to know It’s Because literally everyone that’s available gets mentioned somewhere as a rangers target lol

Yeah but this time I mean in a scary way like it might happen lol. 

On the bright side he's about as good a scorer at even strength as Zibby.  However from a physicality standpoint he makes Mika look like a bull in a china shop.

38 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

What you’re saying there was no real chance we signed Mats Sundin?!?!?

Well that I know there never was because I knew someone who worked for his agent...but yes. 

34 minutes ago, siddious said:

Obviously just a rumor but if true it probably tells us that the coming season is the last one in this window and future efforts will be aimed at the next window.

Takeaways from that are that Igor will not be re-signed unless he gives the Rangers a significant hometown discount and that next off-season will be about locking the young guys up to make sure the next window is possible.

I just realized it's Sunday afternoon and we likely won't hear anything more until Monday afternoon.

How can this be?

How can the fates have so cruelly abandoned us?!?

52 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I just realized it's Sunday afternoon and we likely won't hear anything more until Monday afternoon.

How can this be?

How can the fates have so cruelly abandoned us?!?

Well, enjoy the fun and intrigue while you can. After this it's going to be about three months of nothing. 

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

I've said this before and decided to wait to say it again.  The Rangers management need to look in the mirror as they evaluate what to do this offseason.  Adam Fox had a knee injury and Jacob Trouba had a broken ankle.  Two of the top defensemen on the team were skating on 1 leg each.  We all saw the results and we were all critical of the players.  The Rangers had 2 competent defensemen sitting on their bench - Chad Ruhwedel and Zac Jones - both of whom proved themselves worthy when used.  Then the Rangers thought they had trouble filling winger positions, juggling players even though they had a pretty competent bench to work with that got them the president's trophy.  Who did management put into their line up during critical times in the playoffs?  A 24 year old with a history of concussions who had not played a single game with this team since November 2023.  Worse, he was put in to play against the most physical team in the playoffs. And they put in a guy who snapped his leg in a freak accident in the middle of the season.  Someone tell me how in the world the Rangers were going to win with these decisions on who to play and when.  To me this explains the drop in play from Panarin and to a certain extent Zibanejad.  Hockey is a full team sport - the Oilers proved that you cannot win in hockey by playing your best player nonstop.  When your defensemen are hurt or hobbled the entire team pulls together to cover for the injured players; when a goalie is  having a bad game the entire team pulls together to cover him; a player with a concussion history isn't going hard into corners or getting out in front of the net  - so someone else has to make those plays.  I can go on - as can almost everyone else on this board - we all love hockey, the Rangers and we all wanted them to win this year.  But now that we all know the extent of some of the injuries and we all know who was seated game after game it is hard to defend the management decisions on who played and when, especially against Florida.  Fox and Trouba accounted for over 55 minutes of ice time per game.  That is a lot of time on 1 leg each and a lot of work by the team to cover for them as they negotiated stops, starts and turns.

5 minutes ago, Steve said:

I've said this before and decided to wait to say it again.  The Rangers management need to look in the mirror as they evaluate what to do this offseason.  Adam Fox had a knee injury and Jacob Trouba had a broken ankle.  Two of the top defensemen on the team were skating on 1 leg each.  We all saw the results and we were all critical of the players.  The Rangers had 2 competent defensemen sitting on their bench - Chad Ruhwedel and Zac Jones - both of whom proved themselves worthy when used.  Then the Rangers thought they had trouble filling winger positions, juggling players even though they had a pretty competent bench to work with that got them the president's trophy.  Who did management put into their line up during critical times in the playoffs?  A 24 year old with a history of concussions who had not played a single game with this team since November 2023.  Worse, he was put in to play against the most physical team in the playoffs. And they put in a guy who snapped his leg in a freak accident in the middle of the season.  Someone tell me how in the world the Rangers were going to win with these decisions on who to play and when.  To me this explains the drop in play from Panarin and to a certain extent Zibanejad.  Hockey is a full team sport - the Oilers proved that you cannot win in hockey by playing your best player nonstop.  When your defensemen are hurt or hobbled the entire team pulls together to cover for the injured players; when a goalie is  having a bad game the entire team pulls together to cover him; a player with a concussion history isn't going hard into corners or getting out in front of the net  - so someone else has to make those plays.  I can go on - as can almost everyone else on this board - we all love hockey, the Rangers and we all wanted them to win this year.  But now that we all know the extent of some of the injuries and we all know who was seated game after game it is hard to defend the management decisions on who played and when, especially against Florida.  Fox and Trouba accounted for over 55 minutes of ice time per game.  That is a lot of time on 1 leg each and a lot of work by the team to cover for them as they negotiated stops, starts and turns.

There is a lot of truth to this. I'm sure there's a lot we don't know. You'd like to think they all grow from it and think about their approach carefully. I generally believe that's what people do. 

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

On point. What a waste of a trade for Ruhwedel.

I just have this picture in my head of poor @RichieNextel305 wearing his thumb to the bone pulling refreshes of Twitter. 

Somebody check on him. Richie checking hourly buddy. If you need a ride to the ER let @Ozzy know, I'm sure he's perfectly capable of driving at 3:00 p.m. on a Sunday during the summer. 

• LMFAO 2

RW is just such a blackhole for the Rangers.

Tell Brennan Othmann there's a spot on line 1 for him if he can make the switch.

Line 1:  Laf - Zib - Othmann.

Laf can carry the puck on the left and drive the line.  Zib is just fine carrying the puck as long as he's not the only guy doing that.  Othmann will have a great vantage point on his first NHL season playing with those two guys.  This is a scoring line again.

Line 2: Panarin - Tro - Kreider.

Bread and Tro can both carry the puck and just let Kreider be Kreider, LW/RW it really does not matter 6 feet from the crease.  This is a scoring line.

Line 3: Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko.

Hard to play against and hope Chytil does not drop out again.  He and Kakko have experience playing together and Cuylle is a net crasher to help them out.

Line 4: Berard - Edstrom - Rempe.

Let the line gel and see if there's anything there for next season.  8-10 minutes a game so low risk/decent potential reward.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

On point. What a waste of a trade for Ruhwedel.

Ruhwedel is a solid solid defensive defenseman.  I thought he complimented Zac Jones perfectly when they were paired up.  Zac Jones was free to play his offensive style without having to worry about who'd be back for him.  Ruhwedel more than gave Jones that freedom.  I agree - what a waste of a move.  I hope Ruhwedel finds a team that appreciates him more this coming season