• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Othmann isn’t untouchable but he can help the problem more than likes of Chytil, Kakko and others.  

I'd listen to offers on anyone right now, TBH.

Am I taking Perrault off the table knowing what his game is based off of and seeing what I just saw tonight? I'm listening on anyone right now. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Trouba has to give his 15 team no trade list this off season if I remember right.  That’s where they should start first and foremost.  If that means trading him in a package or for picks.  Whatever it takes.  

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Trouba has to give his 15 team no trade list this off season if I remember right.  That’s where they should start first and foremost.  If that means trading him in a package or for picks.  Whatever it takes.  

Yeah, from what it looks like on capfriendly, Trouba submits a list of 15 teams on July 1st that he cannot be traded to. I assume Ottawa is one of them...I kinda assume the same can be said about Kreider, but I'm asking him anyway as well. That's for Brady. 

I'm not 100% on @Pete's anyone-is-on-the-table approach because I really like what Laf showed us as the season progressed. I said in the GDT that I keep Laf and Igor. @ilkevinli aptly pointed out that Trocheck should be on that short list of untouchables, but I digress. 

The defense also needs help. A lot of help - and not just addition-by-subtraction (Trouba). As some of you guys have already mentioned, Lindgren's gonna be a problem, not only his next contract, but dude just stays getting lit up. Unlike some of you guys, I actually think Miller's defense shows promise even though he still makes some mistakes; if you get Trouba outta here, some of these mistakes vanish. 

Idk. That was such a brutal way to end a great season. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Biggest decisions of the off season are around Lindgren and Kappo.  It’s really a very tough cal with both of them.  Kappo was terrible most of the season and all but invisible in the playoffs.  I’d be fine seeing him go— although I’m certain they do a Laffy like situation and give him a make or break type contract.  Lindy is a much tougher choice-  the guy is a warrior but you can’t sign him for 7 years or something like that because he’s really so worn down already and he’s only in his 20’s.  If you can get him at like 3 years for 4 mil you do it but that’s not going to be easy to get him to accept.

Schneider is another decision but to me, that’s an easy one.  Give the guy a nice deal- again something like 4 years 4 mil and be happy with that.  There is 0 doubt in my mind he’s going to be great.

The core is not going anywhere— they can’t but they must find a right wing.  The fact that Wennberg was on the first line in the most important game of the season is shocking.  Again though, that falls on the failures of Kappo Kakko.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I'd listen to offers on anyone right now, TBH.

Am I taking Perrault off the table knowing what his game is based off of and seeing what I just saw tonight? I'm listening on anyone right now. 

Anyone??  Come on man- that’s just an emotional reaction after a loss.

You can’t get rid of most of the core- they have mostly no movement clauses, limited no trade clauses or the like.  

You’d get rid of Igor, Schneider, Miller, Laf, Troucheck, Fox, Lindgren???

It’s lazy to say anyone is on the table— but yes— there are not a lot of guys right now who deserve another shot with the team but reality is most are coming back and to suggest you’d just clean house after winning the President’s trophy is not right.

I'm afraid they may not even think of giving Trouba away. Instead, they'll possibly spread a myth that it's all down to the effects of his injury or that he's irreplaceable as a hard-working leader. They've tried so hard to present Trouba as the face of the "No Quit in New York"-franchise that trading him during the offseason would be a loss of face for the decision makers. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JHS said:

Anyone??  Come on man- that’s just an emotional reaction after a loss.

You can’t get rid of most of the core- they have mostly no movement clauses, limited no trade clauses or the like.  

You’d get rid of Igor, Schneider, Miller, Laf, Troucheck, Fox, Lindgren???

It’s lazy to say anyone is on the table— but yes— there are not a lot of guys right now who deserve another shot with the team but reality is most are coming back and to suggest you’d just clean house after winning the President’s trophy is not right.

Saying I would listen isn't the same as saying I would get rid of. If the offer is right anyone is tradable. 

I'm not talking about who had trade production, I'm the one point there all the trade protection out in every other thread lol. But obviously if another team is calling, then I'm the one listening, and if I'm the one listening then I'm listening on everybody. That doesn't mean I would drive everybody to the airport for a bag of pucks. 

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Saying I would listen isn't the same as saying I would get rid of. If the offer is right anyone is tradable. 

I'm not talking about who had trade production, I'm the one point there all the trade protection out in every other thread lol. But obviously if another team is calling, then I'm the one listening, and if I'm the one listening then I'm listening on everybody. That doesn't mean I would drive everybody to the airport for a bag of pucks. 

Fair- but is it ok if I drive Trouba to the airport for a bag of pucks?!?

1 hour ago, JHS said:

Biggest decisions of the off season are around Lindgren and Kappo.  It’s really a very tough cal with both of them.  Kappo was terrible most of the season and all but invisible in the playoffs.  I’d be fine seeing him go— although I’m certain they do a Laffy like situation and give him a make or break type contract.  Lindy is a much tougher choice-  the guy is a warrior but you can’t sign him for 7 years or something like that because he’s really so worn down already and he’s only in his 20’s.  If you can get him at like 3 years for 4 mil you do it but that’s not going to be easy to get him to accept.

Schneider is another decision but to me, that’s an easy one.  Give the guy a nice deal- again something like 4 years 4 mil and be happy with that.  There is 0 doubt in my mind he’s going to be great.

The core is not going anywhere— they can’t but they must find a right wing.  The fact that Wennberg was on the first line in the most important game of the season is shocking.  Again though, that falls on the failures of Kappo Kakko.

If the core is not going anywhere then get used to being ousted every year. It is what it is. 

• Keeps it 100 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Highwaystar said:

If the core is not going anywhere then get used to being ousted every year. It is what it is. 

The top guns on this team definitely had their issues, but it's remarkable what the team was able to do all season plus playoffs without a legitimate third line center and first line right wing. If even ESPN went out of their way to comment on how it wasn't Florida's stars that were making all the contributions, you know that's a thing.

This season might have come down to not getting Guentzel at the deadline (Not that I think they should have sold the farm for him, just commenting on the type of player) instead of Roslovic. They lost every game by a goal. The margins were that thin.

I'm not suggesting they run it back, but the roster is what it is with NTCs and if they run it back is anyone here going to stop watching? Doubtful. Are people going to watch and complain incessantly about how games in October don't matter because "only playoffs matter" probably, but I don't understand why people do that to themselves. To each their own. 

Edited by Pete

5 hours ago, phillyb said:

Yeah, from what it looks like on capfriendly, Trouba submits a list of 15 teams on July 1st that he cannot be traded to. I assume Ottawa is one of them...I kinda assume the same can be said about Kreider, but I'm asking him anyway as well. That's for Brady. 

I'm not 100% on @Pete's anyone-is-on-the-table approach because I really like what Laf showed us as the season progressed. I said in the GDT that I keep Laf and Igor. @ilkevinli aptly pointed out that Trocheck should be on that short list of untouchables, but I digress. 

The defense also needs help. A lot of help - and not just addition-by-subtraction (Trouba). As some of you guys have already mentioned, Lindgren's gonna be a problem, not only his next contract, but dude just stays getting lit up. Unlike some of you guys, I actually think Miller's defense shows promise even though he still makes some mistakes; if you get Trouba outta here, some of these mistakes vanish. 

Idk. That was such a brutal way to end a great season. 

Just to be clear, saying I would listen on anybody is not the same as saying I want to trade everybody lol. 

I'm not hanging up the phone on anyone asking for any player, But it depends on the package. 

If a team wants to Make an offer that blows me away for Lafreniere, I listen because if you're blowing me away then the return must be massive. If you're calling me up and Saying "I'll take Trouba for...." My answer is "Done" without hearing anything else 🤣 

So yeah, I'm not saying fire sale, I'm just saying I don't think anyone should be untouchable, for different reasons. Like we just got eliminated in a series where no one played well consistently except for the goalie, and I don't believe in paying goalies. So there's a lot of dynamics at play, you know?

• Applause 1

30 minutes ago, JHS said:

Fair- but is it ok if I drive Trouba to the airport for a bag of pucks?!?

Hasn't Trouba been a passenger for like three seasons now? Let him drive himself somewhere for a change 🤣 

• Cheers 1
  • Believe 1

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

This wasn't nearly as bad as losing to Tampa and New Jersey. They got smacked by a better team. That's it. This was one of the best most memorable regular seasons in a long time. There are still things to get excited about and look forward to. Also realize that our big guys aren't going anywhere. 

Like what? Asking a for friend

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Trouba is light years ahead of Zib on the list of issues. Zibenajad had a monster fuck up in Game 5 but he wasn't giving anything up defensively, and they even mentioned tonight how this was a story of depth, nobody's top six let the world on fire. 

Trouba actively cost us multiple goals across many series. Many of them were directly his fault, and while I normally hate blaming one person on any particular goal that's just the long and short of it.

They simply can't afford to keep him on the payroll. Anybody can say what they want about Zib but he produces points commensurate with his contract along with his defensive ability. 

Yepp

But him out if you have to. You can’t have him on this team next season.

2 hours ago, Mistercosmic said:

I'm afraid they may not even think of giving Trouba away. Instead, they'll possibly spread a myth that it's all down to the effects of his injury or that he's irreplaceable as a hard-working leader. They've tried so hard to present Trouba as the face of the "No Quit in New York"-franchise that trading him during the offseason would be a loss of face for the decision makers. 

The decision-makers have already lost face at this point.  Unlike the Panthers of the last 3 seasons or the Bruins the problems are over 30 at this point and there is no reason to believe that they're going to be better next year than this one.

So if we run it back with a cosmetic change or two we can be sure of only one thing: the season ends in the ECF as the best case and earlier as the likely one.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Br4d said:

The decision-makers have already lost face at this point.  Unlike the Panthers of the last 3 seasons or the Bruins the problems are over 30 at this point and there is no reason to believe that they're going to be better next year than this one.

So if we run it back with a cosmetic change or two we can be sure of only one thing: the season ends in the ECF as the best case and earlier as the likely one.

Well you kind of said all this last summer, and that they wouldn't make the playoffs at all, and then they went to the Eastern conference final this season. 

So I think the net net is this kind of pointless to make predictions about next season when the season ended last night. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well you kind of said all this last summer, and that they wouldn't make the playoffs at all, and then they went to the Eastern conference final this season. 

So I think the net net is this kind of pointless to make predictions about next season when the season ended last night. 

This has to be a strawman.  I don't think I ever felt the Rangers weren't going to be a playoff team.  I thought there was a pretty good chance they'd be a 90+ point team lucky to make the playoffs.  Instead they got insanely lucky all season and won the President's Trophy.

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This has to be a strawman.  I don't think I ever felt the Rangers weren't going to be a playoff team.  I thought there was a pretty good chance they'd be a 90+ point team lucky to make the playoffs.  Instead they got insanely lucky all season and won the President's Trophy.

Will agree to disagree.

I think this team (on the back of Igor) made it as far as could be expected. They could have easily blown the Carolina series and honestly the Panthers serious while overmatched I thought the Rangers battled hard and hung in there nearly every night.  Panthers are clearly the more well rounded team even if the Rangers had the advantage in net. Oh well. Older I get the less upset I become. I Appreciate all the dialogue here that I quietly follow these days rather than take part in. I find this place a valuable source for info and opinions that matter to me. Peace! 

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, siddious said:

Agreed.

but what we have now is a track record on the core and it’s not altogether all that impressive. Hard to be positive. 

No it's not Sid. We have a significant % of players who can't or won't fight through a check. Not good. Looks like a few of the top ones let it get in their heads gave in and just were mostly going through the motions or mentally snakebitten. 

Need more Laf/Trockek types and less Panarin/Zib.

• Keeps it 100 2

Trying not to be over reactionary in response to a really disappointing seasons end. But I’m struggling to find the silver lining. 

the NHL has a clear hierarchy 

1. Teams built to win Championships 

2. Teams positioned to take the next step to Cup contender status. 
3. Good- winning teams who just don’t have the horses

4. Franchises that’s want to make money (or not lose money) more than they want to win

5. Rebuilders. Some are perpetually here, but there is an attempt.

6. The shit. See- former Arizona. 

the Rangers are firmly in tier 3. A good to really good team that doesn’t have the pieces to take the last couple steps. Unfortunately the roster as it is currently structured- lousy with NMC’s- making the necessary changes are going to be damn near impossible to pull off. 

We need to hope Drury is a magician.  

Ripping on Panarin, Mika, Trouba, Kreider (the best contract of that group by a magnitude of 100) seems fruitless at this point. These guys are the built in furniture that comes with the house- we are stuck with this core. 

We need to hope Laf continues to grow, Trocheck to assume more and more of a leadership role. (Trouba being the C is a joke). The young D needs to take a giant leap. 

it’s just disappointing because you have an all world goalie and the moves you can make are bottom 6 and 6th D type moves. This core has great dudes, fantastic statistical performers- but not guys who are built to win an ECF or SC. 

I’ve seen this movie before with Hank I didn’t like that ending. This one has the same script. 

Fuck everything. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1