• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Home Opener Oct 12 vs. Utah, which is Yom Kippur.  🙄

Soon as I saw that tweet right after noon I knew the Rangers weren't doing much today.  That was cannon fodder so the Rangers didn't just disappear for the day.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Soon as I saw that tweet right after noon I knew the Rangers weren't doing much today.  That was cannon fodder so the Rangers didn't just disappear for the day.

Literally every team tweeted about their season/home opener.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yeah, that’s why I was pretty adamant on Kane.

I really don’t know what the pivot is here. Drury had a deadline that left a lot to be desired and this isn’t looking like free agency is going to be a help.

You can’t go back to the well and try and fix this from within. It wasn’t the answer last summer. It wasn’t the answer at the deadline. It won’t be the answer now. 

He needs to make something happen here. This isn’t good enough right now for a win-now team that clearly needs some help.

The Rangers are not one player away from a Cup.  Yeah they won the President's Trophy last season but it was a ceiling season based on tremendous luck for most of the season.  Drury is unlikely to see next season as better unless he can make some fundamental changes to the structure of the core.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m just concerned that we have a hole in the Top-6 and potentially on the blue line if/when Trouba goes. And there is almost nothing desirable left to fill either void. I’m not advocating going punch drunk like some of these GM’s. But he can’t just sit idly and do absolutely nothing while name after name is off the board and we have work to do.

Sometimes the best move is to do nothing.

This team already has the horses on paper but they turn into ponies in the playoffs and nobody wins a horse race with ponies.

• Bullseye 2

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers are not one player away from a Cup.  Yeah they won the President's Trophy last season but it was a ceiling season based on tremendous luck for most of the season.  Drury is unlikely to see next season as better unless he can make some fundamental changes to the structure of the core.

The Rangers were 1 goal away in every single game of the conf finals, so this doesn't track whatsoever.

Just now, Pete said:

The Rangers were 1 goal away in every single game of the conf finals, so this doesn't track whatsoever.

The best team in the NHL and a middling team are 1 goal separated in terms of their ability to win a Cup.  I think the Rangers got worse in the playoffs once Lavi felt he had to shake up the lineup because something was missing.  The team never found that thing and only Igor made them look respectable in the ECF.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is correct. I think it’s already at zero. That would mean good utilization from freeing up Trouba’s cap would have to be acquired by trade. 

If they have an opportunity to dump the contract, it still matters for next summer though.

The Rangers will have some cap space at TDL without stretching out like crazy to get there.

Maybe Drury and Lavi both want to see what the season brings before they spend right up against the cap and make weird rentals again as a result of that.

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The best team in the NHL and a middling team are 1 goal separated in terms of their ability to win a Cup.  I think the Rangers got worse in the playoffs once Lavi felt he had to shake up the lineup because something was missing.  The team never found that thing and only Igor made them look respectable in the ECF.

Shakup the lineup? They were looking for a RW for the top line. By definition, one player away. 

2 if we agree Wennberg could have and will be upgraded.

Just now, Pete said:

Shakup the lineup? They were looking for a RW for the top line. By definition, one player away. 

2 if we agree Wennberg could have and will be upgraded.

Chytil, Wheeler, probably others I do not recall at the moment.  These are not moves you make in the middle of the playoffs unless you're really worried about who is already playing.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Chytil, Wheeler, probably others I do not recall at the moment.  These are not moves you make in the middle of the playoffs unless you're really worried about who is already playing.

You're proving my point. The revolving door at right wing is the one player who could have gotten them over the hump. 

Or anyone on the third line who can score. 

The margins are razor thin.

If the Rangers had Kane, things might have been different. Even more so with a fully healthy and on track Chytil on L3. Or 22-23 version of Kakko. 

Any one of those things gets you an extra goal here or there and who knows what happens then. 

Even if I agreed they weren't one player away, they're closer than what's being presented here. 

Posted (edited)

All quiet in NYR land for now.

I really think their expectation was that they would be able to sign Kane and once that was off the table, there weren’t many options (realistic options) left to pivot to.

Edited by RichieNextel305

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

All quiet in NYR land for now.

I really think their expectation was that they would be able to sign Kane and once that was off the table, there weren’t many options (realistic options) left to pivot to.

I think signing Kane was more in the media than in real life.

This off season is a catastrophe for the Rangers.  

Leak a story that makes it seem like you want to trade your captain= check

Don’t trade your captain and clog up cap

space for the next two seasons= check

Sign your underwhelming second overall pick= check

Do basically nothing on free agent day= check

Essentially send a message to the players that the country club atmosphere has never been healthier= check

I mean the Rangers are a great team and they really are close to making the leap to cup winners but how on earth do you make no progress at all.

Posted (edited)

Why do we all assume the Rangers leaked the story?

Seems much more likely to have come from Trouba's people.

Edit:  A Trouba trade is always going to be difficult because he does not want to leave the area and the Rangers do not want him on the Devils or Isles.

The only way to make it go smoothly is to get a deal with one of the teams not on his list and then have 6 guys wrap him up in a carpet and carry him there personally, struggling the whole way.

Edited by Br4d

Posted (edited)
Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Listen, we needed some changes. Some help. Are we better today than we were in Game 6 in Florida?

Goodrow, Gustafsson out. Smith, Carrick, Jones in.

I mean. 🤷‍♂️

It's also day one of free agency and I'm not jealous of many of the contracts that were given out and wish they'd been on my team.

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)

Even if they had Trouba's salary of the books, the contracts that went down today are insane. The Rangers have their own housekeeping to do to prepare for next offseason. They're trying to dump an absurd contract, adding another one in its place won't help. With the exception of Kane, I wouldn't be giving most of these guys what they were asking.

Edited by Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Disagree . Not saying they're favorites by any means. But saying on July 1st they're gonna suck off objectively a good season, don't see that. Tremendous luck goes in all kinds of directions, missed open nets, puck luck, missed breakaways, brain farts, other team having a shit night. Saying they're in the mix. 

• Applause 1

Just now, Bugg said:

Disagree . Not saying they're favorites by any means. But saying on July 1st they're gonna suck off objectively a good season, don't see that. Tremendous luck goes in all kinds of directions, missed open nets, puck luck, missed breakaways, brain farts, other team having a shit night. Saying they're in the mix. 

I didn't say suck anywhere.  I said Cup.

• Applause 1