• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Even if they had Trouba's salary of the books, the contracts that went down today are insane. The Rangers have their own housekeeping to do to prepare for next offseason. They're trying to dump an absurd contract, adding another one in its place won't help. With the exception of Kane, I wouldn't be giving most of these guys what they were asking.

Absolutely correct but you still have to move Trouba-  have to.  The guys contract is laughably bad at this point.  They had their chance and now they blew it.  Two more years of this traffic cone on the blue line.

1 minute ago, JHS said:

Absolutely correct but you still have to move Trouba-  have to.  The guys contract is laughably bad at this point.  They had their chance and now they blew it.  Two more years of this traffic cone on the blue line.

I don't know, the offseason just started. After going through this whole thing up until now, I don't see how Trouba is back. Some things take time. The Rangers don't have a ton of cap, so improving via trade is the way to go.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I don't know, the offseason just started. After going through this whole thing up until now, I don't see how Trouba is back. Some things take time. The Rangers don't have a ton of cap, so improving via trade is the way to go.

But you had to move the guy before today so you could spend the money before all the guys got sucked into other teams.  It is what it is at this point but it’s very disappointing to watch teams like Toronto get way better.

1 minute ago, JHS said:

But you had to move the guy before today so you could spend the money before all the guys got sucked into other teams.  It is what it is at this point but it’s very disappointing to watch teams like Toronto get way better.

Yeah, that is a problem, but again, I didn't really see them doing a ton with that money, especially if they had to retain. It's not ideal, but he's going to get moved. They already asked for his list of teams and basically told his family to get ready to move.

Posted (edited)

I do hope they can find a home for Kakko, put Smith down there and maybe sign Tarasenko cheaply for a year. To me, that’s improvement from last year. Mild but an improvement. But, I’m not sure this is. Not yet.

Edited by RichieNextel305

This is so unRangers like.  Seems like every July 1st since eternity Rangers made a big signing.  Drury not throwing money around.  

maybe he's saving cap for Shesty's $19M per year contract?

• Bullseye 1

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Listen, we needed some changes. Some help. Are we better today than we were in Game 6 in Florida?

Goodrow, Gustafsson out. Smith, Carrick, Jones in.

I mean. 🤷‍♂️

At worst...on paper, on the ice...

Smith > what they had at 1RW

Healthy Chytil > what they had at 3C

Carrick wash with Goodrow at 1/3 price

Jones > Gustafsson 

Trouba out is addition by subtraction 

Probably a wash with what was iced last season, in some ways probably better. 

Does that mean the results will be the same? Of course not. But we're better today than we were at the end of last season. 

• Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

This is so unRangers like.  Seems like every July 1st since eternity Rangers made a big signing.  Drury not throwing money around.  

maybe he's saving cap for Shesty's $19M per year contract?

Shesterkin is going to get 12. Lafreniere is at least getting 8, and Miller and Lindgren need new deals. That's a lot right there.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

At worst...on paper, on the ice...

Smith > what they had at 1RW

Healthy Chytil > what they had at 3C

Carrick wash with Goodrow at 1/3 price

Jones > Gustafsson 

Trouba out is addition by subtraction 

Probably a wash with what was iced last season, in some ways probably better. 

Does that mean the results will be the same? Of course not. But we're better today than we were at the end of last season. 

Drury will probably sign a RD.  i dont think anyone has enough trust in Jones to play him full time

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, that is a problem, but again, I didn't really see them doing a ton with that money, especially if they had to retain. It's not ideal, but he's going to get moved. They already asked for his list of teams and basically told his family to get ready to move.

I get why they’d hold onto the money- they need it even more next offseason!

21 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I do hope they can find a home for Kakko, put Smith down there and maybe sign Tarasenko cheaply for a year. To me, that’s improvement from last year. Mild but an improvement. But, I’m not sure this is. Not yet.

Tarasenko would be the best opening day 1RW since Buch left.  Smith is already that but Tarasenko would be better.

I don't think the Rangers will sign Tarasenko though unless he's willing to take a 1yr deal.

I don't think it's a surprise given our cap situation that Drury is tinkering and trusting that the core will produce in year 2 of Laviolette.  

The core issue for me is that we have an abundance of perimeter playmakers without a skilled player that seeks physical contact in front of the opposing goalie.  There really is no substitute for dirty goals in the playoffs.

Acquisitions like Reilly Smith aren't going to fill that hole.... just like Roslovic and Wennberg didn't either.  It either isn't a priority for Drury - or he can't sign a player to fill that role.

It is the usual way for the Rangers to plug in a veteran rather that develop a young player.

But we're all in with Kreider, Zib, Panarin, and the core, and the possible last year of Shesterkin.

2 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Lets not sleep on cuylle and othmann taking that next step. Both seem to have the right mindset.

Biggest question mark is the defense now.

The Rangers are definitely banking on production from these young players while they're cheap and funds are limited. 

9 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Wait a sec...wtf...gus signed for 2x2?!  How did we not match or beat that slightly?!

That deal would lower our chances of getting a deal done with Lindgren.

I’m not sure that enough has been done to win a Cup. I just don’t. I’m not saying Drury was wrong for not throwing this Monopoly money around. And it’s not like we had a ton to throw around. I get he’s trying to look to the future a little in regard to keep Shesterkin and Lafreniere. That said, we’ve had a month to prepare for this. Just seems little to no thought went into it. I’m sure it wasn’t the case. But just no creativity. This is a very good team that’s very close. Somehow, someway, this team needs to get their RW hole on the Zibanejad fixed. We rolled the dice on Kakko last year, nothing. Doubled down at the deadline last year when other options existed, nothing. And now again, nothing. Reilly Smith is NOT a 1RW right now. He’s a good addition, don’t get me wrong. But he would be perfect in a role that Kakko currently holds. So unless he goes there, we’re SOL again there IMO. And Kakko has proven he can’t play with those 2. 

I guess my question is that it’s been 12 months. And Drury has failed to properly address this one issue. Not all of that is on him. Mika and Kreider need to fix themselves too. But he has offered absolute dogshit to slide in. Roslovic, Wheeler and now Smith are just not suited for the role.

Mika and Kreider need to be better. And Drury needs to find ways to be creative here. We know now he can be stern. Now he needs to be creative and figure out a way to finally get a legitimate 1RW in here. Because if not, again, we’re back to square one. A team that is extremely good, but likely doesn’t have the depth needed to get over the hump.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1