• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

They're kind of hanstrung financially this year and next anyway. A lot of the contracts given out today were insane. I think Drury really was expecting Kane to come back. He didn't, and that perhaps put him in scramble mode a bit. He was really the only guy who fit financially and terms-wise. I'm not excited about today either, but I'm not in any way surprised. If they have to waive Trouba to get rid of him, then they're dumping an asset without getting anything in return. It helps free up cap, and it needs to be done, but not getting anything at all in return would be kind of shitty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Ranger's problems at RW are due to a huge number of LW's on the roster and in the organization and very few RW's.

This is a systemic problem and it's very hard to fix quickly.  Particularly given the Rangers have no 2nd and 4th round picks until the heat death of the Universe.

One answer - which was obviously never going to be popular - would have been to trade Chris Kreider two years ago and extend and retain Vladimir Tarasenko.

Edit: just realized that this is probably still the Ranger's best chance to find a guaranteed RW.  Trade Kreider and use his cap space to bring in Tarasenko.

Edited by Br4d

Posted (edited)

I just read this as they were never going to hand AAV + term knowing they have RFA/UFAs of their own who they need to pay over the next 2 summers, so they need cap for more than just this season. In that case the only deals that made sense for this team would have been Kane or Arvidsson. 

That's my interpretation, who knows what's actually going on behind the scenes?

That said, the team on paper is better today than it was the end the season.

Anything can happen over the summer, and you take your swing next season.

That's all they could do, realistically. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)

I don't hate getting him, I just think he's kind of washed at this point and won't help that line enough at even strength. I understand it's all they could do, really. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's only the first day.

Edit: definitely expecting Kakko, Chytil and the like to really produce and make up for it. If they can, they're even deeper and better than this past season.

Edited by Sharpshooter

It's best to put Smith on Line 3.  We need help on defense anyway.  Larry Brooks has a point in saying that the Rangers doesn't need to be 100% by October.  But it does need be 100% by the trading deadline.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't hate getting him, I just think he's kind of washed at this point and won't help that line enough at even strength. I understand it's all they could do, really. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's only the first day.

Edit: definitely expecting Kakko, Chytil and the like to really produce and make up for it. If they can, they're even deeper and better than this past season.

Yeah, nobody's thrilled, But I understand it. 

What's done is done. We move forward. 

Edited by Pete

There’s just not that many high impact one year deals out there, so not a big deal. Better off trying to roll the dice at the deadline, although I don’t understand the smith deal in that light. Regardless I’m not surprised by today, next summers crunch is real and the same team’s shot at the cup can still happen this coming playoff. If they want to, of course. 

Just now, Valriera said:

There’s just not that many high impact one year deals out there, so not a big deal. Better off trying to roll the dice at the deadline, although I don’t understand the smith deal in that light. Regardless I’m not surprised by today, next summers crunch is real and the same team’s shot at the cup can still happen this coming playoff. If they want to, of course. 

Hopefully, they put Smith on Line 3. We need defensive help anyway.

7 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Getting Smith now was a smart move.  Much rather that than waiting until the deadline to make the same kind of deal for him,

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

His qualifying offer was $875k. If they wanted to re-sign him, why didn't they just give him the QO and go from there?

wtf is happening I feel like I woke up in bizarro free agency today 

Personally, I'm inclined to give Trouba one more season due to his intangibles.  Although, his play declined,he did help the team win the President's trophy, helped them reach the ECF, and won the Mark Messier Award. 

57 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Personally, I'm inclined to give Trouba one more season due to his intangibles.  Although, his play declined,he did help the team win the President's trophy, helped them reach the ECF, and won the Mark Messier Award. 

Unfortunately there is no cap exemption for having intangibles.

2 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Not paying $8 million a year for that. His play has dropped off, injury or not. Honestly, I'd still want him off the team anyway even if he was making something more reasonable.

12 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Hopefully, they put Smith on Line 3. We need defensive help anyway.

We have to put him on the first line because we have no top 6 RW....because we're paying 8 million for Trouba's intangibles.  

• Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

There are no intangibles. He lines up big hits, sure. But those are far and few between. And often times, he takes himself out of position. You can make the case he was our worst player against Tampa in 2022 and was far and away our worst player during this run. So he also shows signs of wearing down as the games get more crucial.

Again, he isn’t at a “he can’t play in this league” level. But, he has regressed. A lot. He’s not close to being worth his contract. Maybe $3 Million? Not even close to $8 Million.

12 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

There are no intangibles. He lines up big hits, sure. But those are far and few between. And often times, he takes himself out of position. You can make the case he was our worst player against Tampa in 2022 and was far and away our worst player during this run. So he also shows signs of wearing down as the games get more crucial.

Again, he isn’t at a “he can’t play in this league” level. But, he has regressed. A lot. He’s not close to being worth his contract. Maybe $3 Million? Not even close to $8 Million.

he should just play for free

15 team NTC is a 15 team NTC.  Trouba knew there was a chance he'd get traded this year when he signed the contract.  Every player knows the risks.

I think Drury should do whatever he's legally empowered to do to get that contract off the cap without costs down the road.

Well, I don't agree with any of the criticsim of Trouba on here.  He's solid and he changes the game when he is healthy and on the ice. Just listen to what other teams say about him - always be aware where he is, keep your head up, don't get caught looking around.  The problem Trouba had this year was a broken ankle and a poor if not downright aweful decision to play him 25-28 minutes a game on it during the playoffs when the team had competent players on the bench who could have spotted him games.  Same with Adam Fox.  The playoffs are not pre-season or practice games and that is how the Rangers management handled them.  Trouba and Fox should have both been spotted games and there is no way on this earth that anyone can convince me that playing Chytil and Wheeler during the playoffs was the right or best decision.  The Rangers lost to Florida because they had the wrong mix of players on the ice and even then they played Florida close in the score box and that is where it all counts regardless of how the "new" statistics made for gambling are spun.  Only goals at the end of the game count.  Three games against Florida went to OT and the Rangers won 2 of them.  Five of the six games were decided by one goal.  Those scores take into account a hobbled Fox, Trouba and the inclusion of a concussion prone player who hadn't played a single regular season game since Nov. 2023, and a player who was injured so severely that everyone thought his career was over.  The Rangers were a solid team this season, best in the league.  I hate that they lost to Florida BUT it wasn't just the players on the ice that cost them the series.

• Keeps it 100 1