• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Posted (edited)

Atkinson to Tampa for under a million. There are still bargains to be had and moves that can be made. This was one of them. If it works, great. If not, farewell. Come on Drury. Perfect reclamation project. One year. Cheap. Looking to prove himself. And coming from a rival so even more reason to motivate himself. May have had to up the offer a bit to compete with no state tax. But still. These types of deals are what he should be chasing right now. Fuck. Come on, Dru. Wake up.

Edited by RichieNextel305

50 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

They're essentially going to be the same team as last season and I expect the same result as last season. 

Oh no, a fantastic regular season followed by three rounds of playoff hockey with a good chance of a fourth round.... And you're guaranteeing me this in July already?

Sounds fine by me. 

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

To be honest, I agree. He literally positionally sucks. He takes himself out of position so frequently and doesn’t have the speed to get back in time. He takes himself out of position to lunge for big hits. His offensive game, which once was somewhat of a weapon, is now nonexistent. As the season wears on, his play tends to suck more and more. Whenever he has the puck on his stick in the defensive zone, you almost have to cover your eyes and pray. Money aside, the guy has become a total liability to this franchise. Brutal.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The sad thing is that even with all of the drama and bullshit, outside of Florida, I still like this roster more than any other roster in the East. Even after yesterday.

New Jersey added guys. But they’ve had major injury issues, Markstrom is better than what they’ve had but he’s not Dominik Hasek like they think he is. Carolina lost Guentzel, Pesce, Skjei, Teravainen. Are Walker and Gostisbehere better than the defensemen leaving? Doubtful. Different element, but doubtful. The Islanders are still a slow, boring, grimy team. They’ll lurk around and make a push but I wouldn’t say they’re on eye level with the upper echelon in the East. Boston got Lindholm, but are still weak down the middle. They butchered the Ullmark trade. Toronto always looks good on paper. Their issues in net remain the same. Tampa lost goals and then added goals, all the while while aging. 

Washington is lousy. Pittsburgh is the late-90s Rangers. They’ll have their stretches where they look like themselves and then stretches where nothing goes right.

I still think we’re at the top with Florida. We’re in our window. Lafreniere is emerging. Igor is in a walk year. They’re gonna be there. And they may not have Carolina even nipping at their heels.

Thats what makes yesterday and the off-season tough to swallow. Few smart moves here and there and we could have really set ourselves up nicely here. Carolina I think takes a step back. Jersey will be better, but how much? It’s still us and Florida at the top. Wish we had more chips to make a play to round out this roster to make a run.

I'm just riding shotgun here!

This is well put Richie.  I happen to feel very much the same way on both points here.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh no, a fantastic regular season followed by three rounds of playoff hockey with a good chance of a fourth round.... And you're guaranteeing me this in July already?

Sounds fine by me. 

I'd prefer a championship season over another "We'll get them next time" season. There's been way too many of those over the years. 

Edited by Abe Froman
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

I'd prefer a championship season over another "We'll get them next time" season. There's been way too many of those over the years. 

I'd prefer to win the lottery, but you can't always get what you want. 

They don't give out Stanley Cups on July 4th weekend. 

Here's a new tactic we can try, waiting for them to actually play the games before complaining about them losing the games. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd prefer to win the lottery, but you can't always get what you want. 

They don't give out Stanley Cups on July 4th weekend. 

Here's a new tactic we can try, waiting for them to actually play the games before complaining about them losing the games. 

Who's complaining? It's just the way I see it.

Edited by Abe Froman

32 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

You do you. If you want to pretend that you're some kind of above it all super fan go for it.

No you're right. I agree with you.

They probably shouldn't even play out the string. We all know how it's going to end, why not just forfeit every game?

Posted (edited)

I’m really finding it hard to be positive about next season. 

Just too many glaring issues that aren’t being addressed at all. 

hope Smith has a career year I guess 

Edited by siddious
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

They're essentially going to be the same team as last season and I expect the same result as last season. 

I think the same result would be fortunate. The one goal games throughout the year and the immense playoff luck received are unlikely to be repeated. I expect an unceremonious round 1 exit like two seasons ago, and everything on top of that is just gravy.

Next season can still be a season of hope with more Laffy reps, and hopefully some Berard or Othmann reps. Maybe even one of those guys makes the club.

• Keeps it 100 2

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

And last summer the Rangers were going to be a bubble team lucky to make the playoffs, Panarin would be a 70 point guy...

jackson avery eye roll GIF

Yes, some people hit the lottery too. It doesn't change the odds of a bad 5v5 team doing damage in the playoffs.

• Keeps it 100 2

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think the same result would be fortunate. The one goal games throughout the year and the immense playoff luck received are unlikely to be repeated. I expect an unceremonious round 1 exit like two seasons ago, and everything on top of that is just gravy.

Next season can still be a season of hope with more Laffy reps, and hopefully some Berard or Othmann reps. Maybe even one of those guys makes the club.

There’s always hope!

• Believe 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes, some people hit the lottery too. It doesn't change the odds of a bad 5v5 team doing damage in the playoffs.

Jimmy Fallon Whatever GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

But maybe, just maybe, now hear me out... It's dumb to make predictions on the second day of free agency. 

Might want to see what team actually gets iced in October before saying how you expect next season to end?

I guess some would just rather spend every day between this day and that day... Whining and complaining. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Wow you managed to find the exact face I make every time I see the whiners whining. 

Well done. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pete said:

Jimmy Fallon Whatever GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

But maybe, just maybe, now hear me out... It's dumb to make predictions on the second day of free agency. 

Might want to see what team actually gets iced in October before saying how you expect next season to end?

I guess some would just rather spend every day between this day and that day... Whining and complaining. 

What are you going on about? You’re all upset that people have an opinion about the roster as it currently stands, like they can’t change their opinion if the roster changes? Go touch some grass lol

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)

If you can find a taker for Kakkos contract, you can fit Tarasenko in for a year at around $4-4.5 Million. Smith can then work on the 3rd line with Chytil and Cuylle (where he is more suited). Would also leave you a touch of money at the deadline, should they see fit. About a million would be left in cap room.

This is also if Lindgren and Schneider combined to make at least $6M ($4M and $2M).

Tarasenko scored 23 goals last year. If you can get anywhere near that production up with Kreider and Zibanejad, it’s a viable upgrade.

Come on, Drury. Make this happen.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko 

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Cuylle-Chytil-Smith

Vesey-Carrick-Rempe/Brodzinski

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Schneider

Jones-Trouba

Shesterkin

Quick

Edited by RichieNextel305

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

What are you going on about? You’re all upset that people have an opinion about the roster as it currently stands, like they can’t change their opinion if the roster changes? Go touch some grass lol

It's more that I'm sad about the constant stream of negativity that's spewn from a couple of people relentlessly.

You personally haven't had a positive thing to say about this team since you've joined this board, just a constant string of end-to-end bitching and moaning about every single thing related to the Rangers. But you're telling me to go touch grass?

X Factor Omg GIF by X Factor Global

I think you need a new hobby my guy, because clearly this team brings you nothing but misery. Go find something else to do with your time, I think we'll all be happier for it. 

Edited by Pete