• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If you can find a taker for Kakkos contract, you can fit Tarasenko in for a year at around $4-4.5 Million. Smith can then work on the 3rd line with Chytil and Cuylle (where he is more suited). Would also leave you a touch of money at the deadline, should they see fit. About a million would be left in cap room.

This is also if Lindgren and Schneider combined to make at least $6M ($4M and $2M).

Tarasenko scored 23 goals last year. If you can get anywhere near that production up with Kreider and Zibanejad, it’s a viable upgrade.

Come on, Drury. Make this happen.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko 

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Cuylle-Chytil-Smith

Vesey-Carrick-Rempe/Brodzinski

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Schneider

Jones-Trouba

Shesterkin

Quick

I don't mind the player I'm just not seeing a world where he does another one-year contract. 

Seems the ability/desire to only go one year is what's hamstringing the Rangers right now.

Edited by Pete

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't mind the player I'm just not seeing a world where he does another one-year contract. 

Seems the ability/desire to only go one year is what's hamstringing the Rangers right now.

Yeah…

Just in general, I’m glad they didn’t dive into this years FA group, which was honestly average at best, and hand out money and term they’re likely to regret, but not going more than a year or two or whatever probably cost them a guy or two that could have helped. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

It's more that I'm sad about the constant stream of negativity that's spewn from a couple of people relentlessly.

If that’s how you see it, and you can’t take people talking about the state of the team until an official starting lineup is posted in October, then the logical thing to do is for you to ignore it or sign out for the next few months off

• Keeps it 100 3

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I said it earlier, but I would have been all over the Cam Atkinson situation. He isn’t perfect. No player at this stage is. But for 1 year and he took under a million? I’d have looked long and hard at that. And tried to trump their offer with the state tax issue and everything. There is some value out there. Risk attached for sure. But to me, that’s the kind of guy I’d have no issues taking a dice roll on.

40 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I said it earlier, but I would have been all over the Cam Atkinson situation. He isn’t perfect. No player at this stage is. But for 1 year and he took under a million? I’d have looked long and hard at that. And tried to trump their offer with the state tax issue and everything. There is some value out there. Risk attached for sure. But to me, that’s the kind of guy I’d have no issues taking a dice roll on.

Nobody knows who's in on what. We have no idea if they talk to Atkinson. If you were a free agent would you want to come to a team in turmoil like this? It's not a good look. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nobody knows who's in on what. We have no idea if they talk to Atkinson. If you were a free agent would you want to come to a team in turmoil like this? It's not a good look. 

I feel like Tarasenko won't happen here for exactly that reason. These guys have found the areas to make bank with little taxes that are party havens. New York isn't one of them.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If that’s how you see it, and you can’t take people talking about the state of the team until an official starting lineup is posted in October, then the logical thing to do is for you to ignore it or sign out for the next few months off

That would certainly help you cultivate your echo chamber of hot takes, bad ideas, and constant bitching and moaning. 

I'll take it under consideration.

At the same time I will continue to urge you to find another hobby, because clearly watching this team play hockey brings you no joy. Unless you find joy in constantly bitching and that's all you're really getting for, which would then just make you a miserable person who loves to wallow in grievance.

Maybe I'm onto something here...

white teeth troll GIF

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers are still one of the Top-3 or so teams in the league right now. It’s still a destination. This Trouba shit isn’t going to deter people from having the chance to win. It’s not all that big of a deal, outside looking in. Team wants to deal player. Player says no. It’s a wild story, yeah. But I don’t think people are going to avoid the Rangers for it. Especially for a 1-year deal with a legitimate chance to win and be put in a situation where you can make more money on your next deal.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The Rangers are still one of the Top-3 or so teams in the league right now. It’s still a destination. This Trouba shit isn’t going to deter people from having the chance to win. It’s not all that big of a deal, outside looking in. Team wants to deal player. Player says no. It’s a wild story, yeah. But I don’t think people are going to avoid the Rangers for it. Especially for a 1-year deal with a legitimate chance to win and be put in a situation where you can make more money on your next deal.

Well, when I look back and I see day one of free agency and everybody signs for money and term, and the Rangers get nothing (even Kane)... And then on day two I see a bunch of one year deals... And the Rangers get nobody... What do you think is more likely, that players just aren't interested in dealing with it, or that Drury is just sitting there watching Days of our lives? 

The only other thing that could be possible is that he still using all his time to clean up the mess that Brooks created leaking a deal that wasn't even on the table. 

Can't believe we're just letting that go, as if it wasn't the impetus for the whole situation. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, when I look back and I see day one of free agency and everybody signs for money and term, and the Rangers get nothing (even Kane)... And then on day two I see a bunch of one year deals... And the Rangers get nobody... What do you think is more likely, that players just aren't interested in dealing with it, or that Drury is just sitting there watching Days of our lives? 

The only other thing that could be possible is that he still using all his time to clean up the mess that Brooks created leaking a deal that wasn't even on the table. 

Can't believe we're just letting that go, as if it wasn't the impetus for the whole situation. 

It’s not that I don’t think Drury is sitting there watching Days of our Lives. But if you listen to his press briefing on 7/1 where said that “this was the best we could do,” it sounds like a man that is hamstrung financially. 

Keeping Kakko and then re-signing Lindgren and Schneider would leave us with about $2 Million to play with. Maybe less. He could be viewing it where it’s better to hold that room for the deadline and is comfortable walking in with what we have. I’m not saying I’m not. I’m not saying that I don’t think this current roster is good enough. Just saying some of these risks couldn’t hurt. Maybe Drury sees different than me or others.

I just think that there is value out there. He, and you and others may see differently. With these types of players left, it is usually an opinion because there is risk attached. And it’s a risk vs. reward debate, and whether the juice is even worth the squeeze on certain guys. And you likely get one guy to exhaust this on, really.

FWIW, even if Tarasenko were willing to take a 1-Year deal, without dealing Kakko, it’s not possible. Because I don’t see him taking a $2M offer from us. Or maybe anyone else. Maybe Florida? Who really knows?

Edited by RichieNextel305

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

That would certainly help you cultivate your echo chamber of hot takes, bad ideas, and constant bitching and moaning. 

You’re wrong about how to build the team every summer. You wanted Buchnevich traded. You wanted Laffy traded for a mediocre pick last summer because “there is no there there”. These were short sighted ideas, and that comes from a place of someone requiring instant gratification rather than having to be patient for it. The idea of catering to finesse perimeter players has led to no hardware worth anything.

• Bullseye 2

27 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You’re wrong about how to build the team every summer. You wanted Buchnevich traded. You wanted Laffy traded for a mediocre pick last summer because “there is no there there”. These were short sighted ideas, and that comes from a place of someone requiring instant gratification rather than having to be patient for it. The idea of catering to finesse perimeter players has led to no hardware worth anything.

And you're wrong about everything in this post, and you're wrong and most of your other posts. 

I realize that what I want doesn't matter. Every time the team makes a move that people like you say makes no sense at all, I remind myself that professionals run this team and not keyboard warriors who've never played a sport and don't understand how the dynamics of a team work or what it takes to run a team, so I look for the reasons why things may happen... Instead of just sitting there whining that the team didn't do what I wanted them to do and crying about it for the next year, That's what you do. 

Did I want Buch traded? No but they had no cap and I wasn't interested in paying for somebody's career season. 

I said they should trade Lafreniere because he took forever to sign his deal. I'll remind you that during that point you were making up all types of fictional storylines about him being pissed off about not speaking French in an interview 2 years ago. So...yea. 

It doesn't matter if I want Zib and Panarin here. They're here and they're not going anywhere. Your fantasies of players waving are just that, fantasies. So what a smart GM is going to do is look for players to add to what they already have and can't move. 

I find it comical that you're talking about instant gratification because apparently you have no idea what it means. You're complaining about a roster in July, what do you want a locked cup guaranteed before the season is even played? You're the one who's not even letting them play a game before determining that they're already bad, but I'm the one who wants instant gratification? Jesus Christ the projection is real, The gaslighting of malignant narcissism is in full effect.

If Zac Jones score the game 7 Cup clenching double OT goal next season The first thing out of your mouth would be "what are we paying Panarin for if Zac Jones is going to score that goal?!" 

The absolute arrogance that not only does the team have to win, but they have to win your way with the players that you want otherwise you're not happy is mind-boggling. 

Get a fucking grip. I know it's hard to believe but the team doesn't exist to cater to you and your whims and how you think it should be constructed, if you don't like the fucking team follow another team. There's nothing stopping you.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

And you're wrong about everything in this post, and you're wrong and most of your other posts. 

I realize that what I want doesn't matter. Every time the team makes a move that people like you say makes no sense at all, I remind myself that professionals run this team and not keyboard warriors who've never played a sport and don't understand how the dynamics of a team work or what it takes to run a team, so I look for the reasons why things may happen... Instead of just sitting there whining that the team didn't do what I wanted them to do and crying about it for the next year, That's what you do. 

Did I want Buch traded? No but they had no cap and I wasn't interested in paying for somebody's career season. 

I said they should trade Lafreniere because he took forever to sign his deal. I'll remind you that during that point you were making up all types of fictional storylines about him being pissed off about not speaking French in an interview 2 years ago. So...yea. 

It doesn't matter if I want Zib and Panarin here. They're here and they're not going anywhere. Your fantasies of players waving are just that, fantasies. So what a smart GM is going to do is look for players to add to what they already have and can't move. 

I find it comical that you're talking about instant gratification because apparently you have no idea what it means. You're complaining about a roster in July, what do you want a locked cup guaranteed before the season is even played? You're the one who's not even letting them play a game before determining that they're already bad, but I'm the one who wants instant gratification? Jesus Christ the projection is real, The gaslighting of malignant narcissism is in full effect.

If Zac Jones score the game 7 Cup clenching double OT goal next season The first thing out of your mouth would be "what are we paying Panarin for if Zac Jones is going to score that goal?!" 

The absolute arrogance that not only does the team have to win, but they have to win your way with the players that you want otherwise you're not happy is mind-boggling. 

Get a fucking grip. I know it's hard to believe but the team doesn't exist to cater to you and your whims and how you think it should be constructed, if you don't like the fucking team follow another team. There's nothing stopping you.

Yeah I’m not reading all of this. Lol.

If you don’t like posts that use critical thinking about the state of the team, and you can’t handle it, don’t read them. It’s really that simple.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I’m not reading all of this. Lol.

I knew you wouldn't, because as usual you believe the only valid opinion is your own and you pretty much disregard everyone else's because if the idea didn't come from you....

If you don’t like posts that use critical thinking about the state of the team, and you can’t handle it, don’t read them. It’s really that simple.

If you can't handle a team losing without going on a year-long temper tantrum, then don't be a sports fan. It's really that simple.

Edited by Pete

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

I knew you wouldn't, because as usual you believe the only valid opinion is your own and you pretty much disregard everyone else's because if the idea didn't come from you....

If you can't handle a team losing without going on a year-long temper tantrum, then don't be a sports fan. It's really that simple.

You’re just projecting.

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

You’re just projecting.

You guys remind of Kreider & Zibanajad.

Totally useless but your bro-mance is amazing to watch.

• LMFAO 1

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You’re just projecting.

Cool.

Maybe since you only care about what the team does in the playoffs, you can go away and come back in April? Or maybe not at all!

2 hours ago, Pete said:

This team as constructed will not ever win a cup... Period stop... 

They have tried it year after year... When is enough, enough... 

They need to figure out how to break through the blue line without dump and chase to beat Florida... 

Nobody on the team can stick handle well enough to break through... Until they magically get that player they are stuck. 

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This team as constructed will not ever win a cup... Period stop... 

They have tried it year after year... When is enough, enough... 

They need to figure out how to break through the blue line without dump and chase to beat Florida... 

Nobody on the team can stick handle well enough to break through... Until they magically get that player they are stuck. 

I have to be honest I agree that I dont think this core gets it done.

1000% disagree with the rest of this.

Dump and chase is exactly how you beat florida. Stick handling through 5 guys in the playoffs gives you the same result we got.

The problem is the Rangers look like this on dump and chases:

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I have to be honest I agree that I dont think this core gets it done.

1000% disagree with the rest of this.

Dump and chase is exactly how you beat florida. Stick handling through 5 guys in the playoffs gives you the same result we got.

The problem is the Rangers look like this on dump and chases:

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Florida is the best team in the NHL in the corners... You have to beat them to the puck and get out of the corner quick or else they destroy you

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Florida is the best team in the NHL in the corners... You have to beat them to the puck and get out of the corner quick or else they destroy you

Florida just beat the most elite player in the NHL right now and a supporting cast of other good players who play exactly that style.

Dipsey Doodling at the blueline is never a good strategy. You dump, retrieve and make quick passes in the O zone.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to build a team that can dump and chase well vs a team thats skilled enough to enter the zone unobstructed on a regular basis.

• Bullseye 1