• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

4 minutes ago, Dem said:

No it's not Sid. We have a significant % of players who can't or won't fight through a check. Not good. Looks like a few of the top ones let it get in their heads gave in and just were mostly going through the motions or mentally snakebitten. 

Need more Laf/Trockek types and less Panarin/Zib.

Yet somehow Laf and Tro combined for 0 shots last night. 

9 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Miller is a lot better on defense when they don’t pair him with Trouba.  His offensive game could be so much better than it is.  Always waits too long to shoot the puck and does some stupid shit around the blue line that leads to breakaways and odd man rushes for the other team.   

Miller is just not a good defensemen. There's no development between the ears to compliment his God given ability, unfortunately. I think it's time to move on personally. 

The smelly Rangers jersey, which I've been wearing to the games for the last few weeks as a lucky charm, is in the washing machine. Now the playoffs are truly over. And it sucks. I'd have loved to stink even more. 

3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Trying not to be over reactionary in response to a really disappointing seasons end. But I’m struggling to find the silver lining. 

the NHL has a clear hierarchy 

1. Teams built to win Championships 

2. Teams positioned to take the next step to Cup contender status. 
3. Good- winning teams who just don’t have the horses

4. Franchises that’s want to make money (or not lose money) more than they want to win

5. Rebuilders. Some are perpetually here, but there is an attempt.

6. The shit. See- former Arizona. 

the Rangers are firmly in tier 3. A good to really good team that doesn’t have the pieces to take the last couple steps. Unfortunately the roster as it is currently structured- lousy with NMC’s- making the necessary changes are going to be damn near impossible to pull off. 

We need to hope Drury is a magician.  

Ripping on Panarin, Mika, Trouba, Kreider (the best contract of that group by a magnitude of 100) seems fruitless at this point. These guys are the built in furniture that comes with the house- we are stuck with this core. 

We need to hope Laf continues to grow, Trocheck to assume more and more of a leadership role. (Trouba being the C is a joke). The young D needs to take a giant leap. 

it’s just disappointing because you have an all world goalie and the moves you can make are bottom 6 and 6th D type moves. This core has great dudes, fantastic statistical performers- but not guys who are built to win an ECF or SC. 

I’ve seen this movie before with Hank I didn’t like that ending. This one has the same script. 

Fuck everything. 

Whatever we do we need to not waste the next few years of Igor, Laf and Fox.  Those are our 3 championship caliber players and they either need a lot more help or we maybe need to think about how to leverage them into a better team moving forward.  Just to be clear I don't trade any of them unless I get a player almost as good back in a big package.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Based on the last two series that's an outlier I think Pete and can be attributed to terrible line play. Those two also happen to be both defensively responsible and good on our end of the ice. 

Just now, Dem said:

Based on the last two series that's an outlier I think Pete and can be attributed to terrible line play. Those two also happen to be both defensively responsible and good on our end of the ice. 

Trocheck yes, Lafreniere not yet (maybe he'll get there, but I don't really care if he does, he's here for his offense)... And you can say the same thing about Mika. 

People ask why I would listen to calls on anybody, it's because the big guns went silent but so did the middleweight guns in the last two games of that series. 

7 hours ago, phillyb said:

The defense also needs help. A lot of help - and not just addition-by-subtraction (Trouba). As some of you guys have already mentioned, Lindgren's gonna be a problem, not only his next contract, but dude just stays getting lit up. Unlike some of you guys, I actually think Miller's defense shows promise even though he still makes some mistakes; if you get Trouba outta here, some of these mistakes vanish. 

I’ve been defending Miller all season during games to my wife. She even came around to him during this playoffs.  I think he has more upside to go and should be depended on for more offense pointing PP2.  Miller and Schneider should be the staple second line D pairing next season.  In addition to breaking up the CZ bromance trading one, it’s time to do the same with Fox/Lindy.  Trouba gots to go, and we desperately need a big defensive partner for Fox.

49 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The guy a lot of people will be talking about when we call looking for a game-changer is Fox.

Seriously.

I’d take calls on him to be honest but not sure how we replace him. His decision making is too slow at times for a league leading defenseman and it shows more in the playoffs. Plus he mopes almost as much as Mika.  If he had Trochecks heart and soul the dude would be an all time legend 🤣

1 minute ago, mbob said:

I’ve been defending Miller all season during games to my wife. She even came around to him during this playoffs.  I think he has more upside to go and should be depended on for more offense pointing PP2.  Miller and Schneider should be the staple second line D pairing next season.  In addition to breaking up the CZ bromance trading one, it’s time to do the same with Fox/Lindy.  Trouba gots to go, and we desperately need a big defensive partner for Fox.

I’d take calls on him to be honest but not sure how we replace him. His decision making is too slow at times for a league leading defenseman and it shows more in the playoffs. Plus he mopes almost as much as Mika.  If he had Trochecks heart and soul the dude would be an all time legend 🤣

Agree with a lot of this.

Regarding Fox, I don't think it's his decision making that slow, the brain is the best part of his game, it's his feet that are slow and a lot of his passes and shots are weak. Dude's got a physique like a bag of milk. 

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Agree with a lot of this.

Regarding Fox, I don't think it's his decision making that slow, the brain is the best part of his game, it's his feet that are slow and a lot of his passes and shots are weak. Dude's got a physique like a bag of milk. 

makes sense, something is holding him up. 

36 minutes ago, Parsley said:

I think this team (on the back of Igor) made it as far as could be expected. They could have easily blown the Carolina series and honestly the Panthers serious while overmatched I thought the Rangers battled hard and hung in there nearly every night.  Panthers are clearly the more well rounded team even if the Rangers had the advantage in net. Oh well. Older I get the less upset I become. I Appreciate all the dialogue here that I quietly follow these days rather than take part in. I find this place a valuable source for info and opinions that matter to me. Peace! 

Not to mention some good laughs as well! As you, the older I get...

So who is going to be Drury’s and Lavi’s fall guy.  Trouba may be the easiest to finger point, running back the rest of the core.  Pick a new captain, trade third liners out and roll it back. I hope not and the GM knows better.  If it was me, I talk to Laffy to get a deal done, part of the new contract I commit to which side wing he wants to play, and construct the roster so he plays his side on line 1 and pp1.  If you’re not committed to that might as well package him up in a deal while the value is high. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trocheck yes, Lafreniere not yet (maybe he'll get there, but I don't really care if he does, he's here for his offense)... And you can say the same thing about Mika. 

People ask why I would listen to calls on anybody, it's because the big guns went silent but so did the middleweight guns in the last two games of that series. 

Fair enough. I don't disagree on Mika. He was excellent defensively during this run as he usually is. The physical play not only shut him down but I think it got in his head. That's a tough case for a highly paid 1st liner. 

I guess Kakko and a 1st may have been worth it for Vatrano.

We lost 4 one goal games. Nothing to be ashamed about. We came to play against a team that overmatched us. Our goalie bailed us out more than he should have had to. All in all it was a good hard fought series.

We won't see Wheeler, Gustafson, Wennberg or Roslovic ever again imo. I think they buy out or trade Trouba and use that money for a better RW. Lots of options this year.

Kakko gets traded with Dancing Larry to the Utah Yeti for an ice skating dog who entertains between periods.

• Applause 1

Posted (edited)

Usually after going off the deep end, I wake up and calm down. Nope. Not here. Not now.

I have never been more infuriated or disgusted with this franchise in my entire life. Last year was embarrassing. This year is an abomination. You fixed the coaching issue. You did the proverbial “learning to walk before you can run.” You had all the learning you needed. You got rest in the playoffs, so fatigue wasn’t an issue.

Yet this team crumbled. This core crumbled. When the going got tough, this team folded like a cheap tent. If not for a miracle 3rd period by Kreider, who knows what happens the first sign of trouble in Carolina?

My mantra will not change and it needs to be said because that locker room is fucking soft mentally: Coach wore it last year, core wears it this year.

I don’t care who. I don’t care how. This team is not winning a Stanley Cup together. They’re just not. The talent is there. On the surface, looking at it, it’s there. The want, the desire, the mental mindset you need? It’s not. There are significant issues that some of us worried about last year with this core. They don’t have the right mentality to win a Stanley Cup. They don’t know how to adapt. They panic when the shit hits the fan. And they have had a few kicks at the can and haven’t gotten it done.

This team fooled us all. 55 wins. 114 points. But once a team pushed them, they couldn’t push back.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. And this needs to be addressed. This locker room can’t escape the blame this time around. They did last year. They can’t now. This was a badly missed opportunity. Badly missed.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)

And the sad thing is, it can be said about every single big time player we have. Panarin stinks in the playoffs. Zibanejad stinks in the playoffs. Fox stinks in the playoffs.

I have had it with all 3. I couldn’t care less if I never saw any of them in a Ranger jersey again.

That isn’t the right stuff. 

I would add Jacob Trouba to the list. But he isn’t even worth discussing. That guy is a joke. And I don’t care how, but he cannot be on this roster next year. He is a liability, an idiot, a slow-moving shell of his former self. And we have other players in that locker room who could step in and replace his horseshit leadership.

This is a fucking mess.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

They weren’t good enough last night but it was one game, not a perpetual disappearing act like others.

💯 but fool me three times...I'm not hitching my wagon to anyone on this roster because no one really showed up when the chips were down. Somehow they managed to look better in the last 2 games than the 2 games prior but Tro and Laf gotta show it. Lafreniere is 22 and Tro wasn't able to distinguish himself as the guy that will drag his linemates into it in this series. Not saying he can't, just saying that didn't happen here.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

One night, yes. Wasn't a great showing for anyone but Igor.

But macro? Laf and Tro lead the show all post-season. Visually and literally, they're the blue print for playoffs success.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

💯 but fool me three times...I'm not hitching my wagon to anyone on this roster because no one really showed up when the chips were down. Somehow they managed to look better in the last 2 games than the 2 games prior but Tro and Laf gotta show it. Lafreniere is 22 and Tro wasn't able to distinguish himself as the guy that will drag his linemates into it in this series. Not saying he can't, just saying that didn't happen here.

I really don't mean to make everything about Mika, but it's hard not to, because he's central to all of this. It didn't happen for Trocheck because he's not a first-line center. He's an incredibly good 2C, though. No team is winning it all if their 1C is as ineffective as Mika is for this team when the games matter most.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I really don't mean to make everything about Mika, but it's hard not to, because he's central to all of this. It didn't happen for Trocheck because he's not a first-line center. He's an incredibly good 2C, though. No team is winning it all if their 1C is as ineffective as Mika is for this team when the games matter most.

I have to agree.

We have a big issue with Zibanejad. For a lot of reasons. 

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Nah sorry, you don't get this one. You don't get to call him a blueprint for success despite not showing up in THE most important game and saying he isn't a 1C.

And frankly, let's be honest, his role was equal to Mika. 5v5, PP, PK, many nights he got MORE time than Mika.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I have to agree.

We have a big issue with Zibanejad. For a lot of reasons. 

I don't think it's as big as others. Centers need wingers. His weren't nearly good enough.

And before we say "Great players make others better," I agree. He certainly made Kreider better. But RW is nowhere to be found and LW is a non-participant for too much of the game. Pens looked for wingers for Sid forever, came down to chemistry with Dupuis and Kunitz. Oilers looked for wingers for McD, CHI is looking for wingers for Bedard. No one can do it alone. If Mika could he'd be making $14M not $8M.

Like I said, I would take calls on everyone, MZ included, but likelihood is he's here next year. So you have to fix him.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah sorry, you don't get this one. You don't get to call him a blueprint for success despite not showing up in THE most important game and saying he isn't a 1C.

And frankly, let's be honest, his role was equal to Mika. 5v5, PP, PK, many nights he got MORE time than Mika.

He got more time because Mika sucked. They leaned on him in a career year — one I think you'd agree isn't very likely to repeat.

He and Laf are the blue print in the sense that how they play is how you have to play to win.