• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This team as constructed will not ever win a cup... Period stop... 

They have tried it year after year... When is enough, enough... 

They need to figure out how to break through the blue line without dump and chase to beat Florida... 

Nobody on the team can stick handle well enough to break through... Until they magically get that player they are stuck. 

You're right. They should just stop playing. Don't even show up for the season, just pack it in.

Edited by Pete

16 minutes ago, siddious said:

I have to be honest I agree that I dont think this core gets it done.

1000% disagree with the rest of this.

Dump and chase is exactly how you beat florida. Stick handling through 5 guys in the playoffs gives you the same result we got.

The problem is the Rangers look like this on dump and chases:

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Cores get you there. Depth gets you through.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Pete said:

Cores get you there. Depth gets you through.

I mean fair enough. 

I dont think we have either. 

edit: Thats not to say we dont have good pieces because we do. I just hate the general construction of this team and I have no faith in Panarin or Zib at this point. 

Edited by siddious

Just now, siddious said:

I mean fair enough. 

I dont think we have either. 

Possibly, but the core isn't going anywhere, and that's why we understand that the strategy should be adding depth. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, siddious said:

Florida just beat the most elite player in the NHL right now and a supporting cast of other good players who play exactly that style.

Dipsey Doodling at the blueline is never a good strategy. You dump, retrieve and make quick passes in the O zone.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to build a team that can dump and chase well vs a team thats skilled enough to enter the zone unobstructed on a regular basis.

I'll echo this as well, and add the fact that they play their "unit of 5" in a much tighter area than some teams with their kind of speed and ability.  Every time you saw the camera angle on TV, 5 guys were in the picture....Carolina plays a similar style, but doesn't have quite the scoring talent as Florida did.

It always feels like there's 17 guys on the ice when you play either of those teams.  Pete's right though, I'd rather have a relentless dump and chase forecheck, which then goes into a cycle, than a finesse team that tries to beat 2 or 3 guys at a time to enter and setup.

That might work against Ahahaim, or the Sabres in January, but in the dog days of May in the big show, it ain't gonna work so well!  ...as we have seen.  Really a good mix of both is ideal!

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, Ozzy said:

I'll echo this as well, and add the fact that they play their "unit of 5" in a much tighter area than some teams with their kind of speed and ability.  Every time you saw the camera angle on TV, 5 guys were in the picture....Carolina plays a similar style, but doesn't have quite the scoring talent as Florida did.

It always feels like there's 17 guys on the ice when you play either of those teams.  Pete's right though, I'd rather have a relentless dump and chase forecheck, which then goes into a cycle, than a finesse team that tries to beat 2 or 3 guys at a time to enter and setup.

That might work against Ahahaim, or the Sabres in January, but in the dog days of May in the big show, it ain't gonna work so well!  ...as we have seen.

OUr big problem is that we havent won a board battle in a decade and we have historically sucked at faceoffs (we will see if last season was an anomoly)

• Applause 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're right. They should just stop playing. Don't even show up for the season, just pack it in.

Strawman argument doesn't work here... I was talking about a serious problem that they have and you act like I said they suck... Stop with your victim act. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

OUr big problem is that we havent won a board battle in a decade and we have historically sucked at faceoffs (we will see if last season was an anomoly)

Trochek killed the face offs this season and it's great they successfully got rid of that issue

Just now, siddious said:

50/50 pucks are like 90/10 with us, against!  ...I hear ya man!!

I think if we can see some more progress with Edstrom, Cuylle, Rempe, and Laffy, I think we'll be better along the boards.  They're really not even "men" just yet...still "kid strength" at this point.

We also haven't had beers and wings for like month!  ...but we can fix that without a no trade clause, right?  LOL

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, siddious said:

Florida just beat the most elite player in the NHL right now and a supporting cast of other good players who play exactly that style.

Dipsey Doodling at the blueline is never a good strategy. You dump, retrieve and make quick passes in the O zone.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to build a team that can dump and chase well vs a team thats skilled enough to enter the zone unobstructed on a regular basis.

Oilers came the closest to beating Florida of any team in the NHL without Igor in net... 

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That might work against Ahahaim, or the Sabres in January, but in the dog days of May in the big show, it ain't gonna work so well!  ...as we have seen.  Really a good mix of both is ideal!

Because Rangers have no stick handlers good enough. 

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Strawman argument doesn't work here... I was talking about a serious problem that they have and you act like I said they suck... Stop with your victim act. 

Where's the strawman? You said they're never going to win a cup, as if it's an indisputable fact. 

So if that's how it is, then why bother?

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Trochek killed the face offs this season and it's great they successfully got rid of that issue

Tro was fabulous this past season, agreed.  I hope that rings true for next season as well.  No reason it shouldn't.  The others not so much though.

Zibby was about average on draws....49.3%

Chytil is a career 40%

Goodrow was good, but he's now in SJ...

We'll see how we fare on that 4th line with Carrick

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Because Rangers have no stick handlers good enough. 

I think Panarin, Kakko, Zibby, Laffy, Fox, Trocheck are all good stick handlers...but my ultimate point was I think we would need a good mix of both.

Just now, Ozzy said:

I think Panarin, Kakko, Zibby, Laffy, Fox, Trocheck are all good stick handlers...but my ultimate point was I think we would need a good mix of both.

Panarin can handle but can be taken out by enforcers... Kakko can handle but always gets pushed into corners... Zibby cannot stick handle... He is fast for break aways... 

Laffy is the best handler on the team and Trochek is right behind but still get knocked off the Puck too easy. 

Fox is a great handling defenseman but he doesn't help enough getting into the offensive zone

Othmann and Berard should be on the Rangers in the fall.  It's time for both of them.

Whatever you think of this window at this point it's hard not to see the next one developing with some of the kids from Hartford joining Fox, Laf and Miller.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Othmann and Berard should be on the Rangers in the fall.  It's time for both of them.

Whatever you think of this window at this point it's hard not to see the next one developing with some of the kids from Hartford joining Fox, Laf and Miller.

After what I’ve seen this summer so far as far as change, I concur. Othmann could probably use more seasoning, but that’s ok. Get these kids in there. As far as I’m concerned, the only chance at seeing something different and better happen next year is with a few significant surprises from players who aren’t expected to ball out. Maybe a Berard or Othmann explode onto the scene. Even Kakko in year 6. Never know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I was all for Berard making this team if they needed to cut corners because you brought in a legitimate top-line RW.

With what we have now, I’d still like to add another winger.

But a proven winger.

Like whom?

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I was all for Berard making this team if they needed to cut corners because you brought in a legitimate top-line RW.

With what we have now, I’d still like to add another winger.

But a proven winger.

If Smith makes 1RW and Berard steals a 3rd line spot from Kakko by outplaying him, I think those are 2 solid upgrades over last season. Kakko/Rempe platoon 4RW.

• Like 2