• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Maybe Shesty doesn't slump half the season and they don't have to come back as much. 

I know "hope isn't a strategy". 🙄 

Thank God he sucked first half, he would be asking 15 mil per year

Edited by Rangers
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pete said:

They have $8M in space. 2+ going to Schneider and around 4 going to Lindgren. 

That leaves them $2M and they need a 7th defenseman and 13th forward.

Probably accurate with the Schneider/Lindgren estimates, but then that’s $2m in space with 14 forwards on the roster. 14th f ELC cap hit becomes 7th d ELC cap hit. It’s a full roster with that space.

You’re also not accounting for absoring Smith’s hit at 3.75 as it pertains to what Drury had going into July 1st. $2m + $3.75m + min $4m Trouba buyout = $9.75m Drury could have approached July 1st with, and if he believed in the team strong enough to win a Cup he’s not going to give a flying fuck about next summer’s cap problems.

Edited by BrooksBurner

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Probably accurate with the Schneider/Lindgren estimates, but then that’s $2m in space with 14 forwards on the roster. 14th f ELC cap hit becomes 7th d ELC cap hit. It’s a full roster with that space.

You’re also not accounting for absoring Smith’s hit at 3.75 as it pertains to what Drury had going into July 1st. $2m + $3.75m + min $4m Trouba buyout = $9.75m Drury could have approached July 1st with, and if he believed in the team strong enough to win a Cup he’s not going to give a flying fuck about next summer’s cap problems.

That's certainly what you'd like to believe and the narrative it always comes back to with you.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

That's certainly what you'd like to believe and the narrative it always comes back to with you.

As expected, you’ve got nothing of quality to work with here. I knew this would be a quick and decisive win for me the moment I saw how much you bungled the cap figures🍻 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

As expected, you’ve got nothing of quality to work with here. I knew this would be a quick and decisive win for me the moment I saw how much you bungled the cap figures🍻 

LOL. The cap numbers are fine.

They tried to sign other guys and nobody wanted to come here.

Guess the "disrupted locker room" is a real crowd pleaser.

You're trying to perpetuate a myth that Drury doesn't believe in the team because you don't. He's keeping next year's cap in mind because that's what good GMs do.

As usual it all comes back to what you think must be fact. 

Here's the truth, to make a significant move, Trouba had to go. Once he didn't, because of Larry, this path was set. 

Edited by Pete

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

LOL. The cap numbers are fine.

They tried to sign other guys and nobody wanted to come here.

Guess the "disrupted locker room" is a real crowd pleaser.

You're trying to perpetuate a myth that Drury doesn't believe in the team because you don't. He's keeping next year's cap in mind because that's what good GMs do.

As usual it all comes back to what you think must be fact. 

Here's the truth, to make a significant move, Trouba had to go. Once he didn't, because of Larry, this path was set. 

No, your cap crunch was not correct because you read the roster size wrong, so the point you were trying to make to fit your view was based on a false premise.

The rest is just hearsay you have no proof of. The fact is there was a path for Drury to bring in way better players this offseason if he wanted to really go for it, and he didn’t. Just like he passed up opportunities at the deadline.

12 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This is so off base, and I’m sorry to say that. It’s like you’re factoring all the good in and saying it can’t be replicated. But then totally ignoring all of the bad.

What if Mika bounces back and is better? What if Igor doesn’t take until February to get into form? What if Smith actually ends up being a fit with them? What if they master the system Laviolette employs better this season better than last?

There are a lot of hypotheticals. On both sides of the argument. And that goes for literally every single team in every single sport. So I don’t know why we would waste time calling a 55-win, 114-point team “lucky” when it very clearly goes beyond being lucky.

Hard to argue this one, but I'm sure someone will!  LOL

Dude, I'm with you all the way here.  I totally expect a big year outta Zibby this season.  Most of all I'm looking forward to watching the young guns take another step forward, and that includes "Mopey" (Kakko).

Cuylle, Laff, possibly Othmann, and Berard as well.  But most of all I wanna see how it goes with Rempe and Edstrom.  I think Edstrom has some real potential as a 4th line center.  Fucking guy didn't lose too many board battles last season, and I would like to see him take a nice jump and be an everyday player.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No, your cap crunch was not correct because you read the roster size wrong, so the point you were trying to make to fit your view was based on a false premise.

The rest is just hearsay you have no proof of. The fact is there was a path for Drury to bring in way better players this offseason if he wanted to really go for it, and he didn’t. Just like he passed up opportunities at the deadline.

The cap numbers are fine. 

He's keeping next year's cap in mind because that's what good GMs do. 

You're speculating that he passed up anything at the deadline, takes two GMs to make a deal. 

41 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hard to argue this one, but I'm sure someone will!  LOL

Dude, I'm with you all the way here.  I totally expect a big year outta Zibby this season.  Most of all I'm looking forward to watching the young guns take another step forward, and that includes "Mopey" (Kakko).

Cuylle, Laff, possibly Othmann, and Berard as well.  But most of all I wanna see how it goes with Rempe and Edstrom.  I think Edstrom has some real potential as a 4th line center.  Fucking guy didn't lose too many board battles last season, and I would like to see him take a nice jump and be an everyday player.

There is not one team in the NHL that doesn't expect progression from their young players year-over-year. How much progression is anybody's guess, but they all target younger players to be better than the year before. 

Only in La La Rangers land is that considered "hope is your strategy".

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

The cap numbers are fine. 

He's keeping next year's cap in mind because that's what good GMs do. 

You're speculating that he passed up anything at the deadline, takes two GMs to make a deal. 

Listen, you were wrong about the cap supporting your narrative so you’re trying to deflect. Own it. There was plenty of cap to do big things and he didn’t. Period.

I never said he’s doing the entirely wrong thing. He’s not cap stringing the future and that’s good. But what I am saying is he’s definitely not running things like this team is a piece away, which does not align with your position. You should be frustrated about that since you were so gung ho ignoring stats all year, unless it was an act. Which it was.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Listen, you were wrong about the cap supporting your narrative so you’re trying to deflect. Own it. There was plenty of cap to do big things and he didn’t. Period.

I never said he’s doing the entirely wrong thing. He’s not cap stringing the future and that’s good. But what I am saying is he’s definitely not running things like this team is a piece away, which does not align with your position. You should be frustrated about that since you were so gung ho ignoring stats all year, unless it was an act. Which it was.

No, you get frustrated when things that are out of your control don't go your way. 

I take the team for what it is, enjoy the wins, hate the losses, and then move on with my life because this is just sports. 

Frustration and bitching and whining about everything Rangers related all year round is your gig, not mine. But I'm fascinated by the fact that you can't accept it and that you think anybody who's not as angry as you are is lying lol. Everybody has to think what I think or they're wrong, everybody has to feel how I feel or they're lying! Holy shit that's a real condition you have there.

Everything else is a big yawn and a waste of energy. Now go away, I've better things to do. 

Edited by Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, you get frustrated when things that are out of your control don't go your way. 

I take the team for what it is, enjoy the wins, hate the losses, and then move on with my life because this is just sports. 

Frustration and bitching and whining about everything Rangers related all year round is your gig, not mine. But I'm fascinated by the fact that you can't accept it and that you think anybody who's not as angry as you are is lying lol. Everybody has to think what I think or they're wrong, everybody has to feel how I feel or they're lying! Holy shit that's a real condition you have there.

Everything else is a big yawn and a waste of energy. Now go away, I've better things to do. 

hotline bling dancing GIF

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is the other thing. People are acting like July 4th is the trade deadline, and Drury has to be done, "Herp derp looks like he chucked the season because he doesn't believe in the team."

That's fan/loser thinking.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

hotline bling dancing GIF

Not really. But pretty clear you are.

Mad at the team.

Mad at the GM.

Mad at anyone who's not as mad as you are, to the point where you're literally telling people that the fact they aren't mad means they're lying.

I'd love to know what you tell people outside this forum.

"Oh you're a hockey fan? What team do you root for."

"The Rangers, but they suck."

"Didn't they finish first and go pretty far in the playoffs?"

"Yea but..." [spends 3 hours spitting bullshit]

"Wait, didn't you say you were a Ranger fan?"

Edited by Pete

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not really. But pretty clear you are.

Mad at the team.

Mad at the GM.

Mad at anyone who's not as mad as you are, to the point where you're literally telling people that the fact they aren't mad means they're lying.

I'd love to know what you tell people outside this forum.

"Oh you're a hockey fan? What team do you root for."

"The Rangers, but they suck."

"Didn't they finish first and go pretty far in the playoffs?"

"Yea but..." [spends 3 hours spitting bullshit]

"Wait, didn't you say you were a Ranger fan?"

Not people. Just you.

The fake convo is definitely you projecting yourself when Gallant was coach 🤣

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not people. Just you.

The fake convo is definitely you projecting yourself when Gallant was coach 🤣

Cool, you should have somebody go change your diaper now. Maybe you need a little binky or a bottle. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

There is not one team in the NHL that doesn't expect progression from their young players year-over-year. How much progression is anybody's guess, but they all target younger players to be better than the year before. 

Only in La La Rangers land is that considered "hope is your strategy".

Now that I've had time to digest last season, and see more into the cap crunch we're up against, I gotta say I'm pretty cool with what Drury is doing.  I see him giving 1 year deals to guys because he obviously sees what's on the horizon for next year's RFA/UFA class.

The team we have in place is pretty fucking good...actually REALLY fucking good.  Progress isn't linear and I think some players will be better and some will not score as much.  I get that.  The bottom line is that it most likely will off set itself.  That's not even the point of this off season to me.

The real deal to me is knowing full well that this "window" we've been speaking of may not exactly be as short as I once thought;  I figured we'd only be a contender for the life of Shesty's contract (This season).  I don't see that so much anymore.  I see teams winning with goalies like Skinner, with better structure and players in front of them.

Once Drury gets out from under some of the deals he inherited, I see him getting all "his guys" in there and with Lavvy at the helm I see a much brighter future and also a different culture on the horizon.  In other words, I'm feeling pretty good about this team moving forward.

So basically all this shit I'm reading about us sucking, and not doing anything big so far in free agency is basically a heaping pile of steaming cow dung to me.  Drury has a plan, and that guy's a fucking winner.  We'll win, it's just going to take a little time.  The ride so far has given us more entertainment than we've had in quite a while, so I'm really looking forward to what's ahead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Now that I've had time to digest last season, and see more into the cap crunch we're up against, I gotta say I'm pretty cool with what Drury is doing.  I see him giving 1 year deals to guys because he obviously sees what's on the horizon for next year's RFA/UFA class.

The team we have in place is pretty fucking good...actually REALLY fucking good.  Progress isn't linear and I think some players will be better and some will not score as much.  I get that.  The bottom line is that it most likely will off set itself.  That's not even the point of this off season to me.

The real deal to me is knowing full well that this "window" we've been speaking of may not exactly be as short as I once thought;  I figured we'd only be a contender for the life of Shesty's contract (This season).  I don't see that so much anymore.  I see teams winning with goalies like Skinner, with better structure and players in front of them.

Once Drury gets out from under some of the deals he inherited, I see him getting all "his guys" in there and with Lavvy at the helm I see a much brighter future and also a different culture on the horizon.  In other words, I'm feeling pretty good about this team moving forward.

So basically all this shit I'm reading about us sucking, and not doing anything big so far in free agency is basically a heaping pile of steaming cow dung to me.  Drury has a plan, and that guy's a fucking winner.  We'll win, it's just going to take a little time.  The ride so far has given us more entertainment than we've had in quite a while, so I'm really looking forward to what's ahead.

Yeah, the window talk is nonsense IMO.

A good GM can keep the team competitive through multiple phases. This is the Panarin Zib phase and soon we'll have the Lafreniere Perrault phase.

I'm streamlining it just for the sake of brevity, but you get what I mean. 

• Bullseye 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

A good GM can keep the team competitive through multiple phases. This is the Panarin Zib phase and soon we'll have the Lafreniere Perrault phase.

Dont forget their other linemate Rempe 🤣

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes, using the term phase is so much different than window 🙄

33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes, using the term phase is so much different than window 🙄

People here use the term window implying it will close.

Use whatever term makes you feel good, but it's a passing of the torch, a transition, a whatever. The team has enough talent to not have to rebuild it for years to come.

• Keeps it 100 1

I mean, it's a little semantic, but window definitely implies a harder close than phase to me. Window would be open/close. Phase would be more like a wave.

And I agree with Pete that this team is not facing another tear down/rebuild. They're gonna need a couple of signings, maybe, but the transition should be pretty smooth. Zib is the only caveat I can see, because there's no internal option to replace him.