• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, it's a little semantic, but window definitely implies a harder close than phase to me. Window would be open/close. Phase would be more like a wave.

And I agree with Pete that this team is not facing another tear down/rebuild. They're gonna need a couple of signings, maybe, but the transition should be pretty smooth. Zib is the only caveat I can see, because there's no internal option to replace him.

Phases end. Windows close. Tomato tuhmahto? Anyway, just found it funny.

Replacing two core players with two completely different core players is a hard stop. All we’re debating is how quickly the next window opens after the current phase ends (😜). Most expect a gap year or two of transition, but it could be pretty instant if the next core flourishes and Drury hits on the choices for supporting players.

I mean, the best way to do this is the Dallas method. You keep the high-end guys now and as the rookies make the team, they slowly but surely take the top roles with the previous high-enders moving down in the lineup. It might mean having an $8.5 million third-line center in a few years, or a $6M winger on your third line, or whatever, but it mostly works if you can balance the finances.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, the best way to do this is the Dallas method. You keep the high-end guys now and as the rookies make the team, they slowly but surely take the top roles with the previous high-enders moving down in the lineup. It might mean having an $8.5 million third-line center in a few years, or a $6M winger on your third line, or whatever, but it mostly works if you can balance the finances.

you have to have rookies who are able to take top roles, not Kakkos

Just now, Albatrosss said:

you have to have rookies who are able to take top roles, not Kakkos

I know. In this case, we're talking about a new "phase" of offensive leaders in Lafreniere and Perreault.

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

I know. In this case, we're talking about a new "phase" of offensive leaders in Lafreniere and Perreault.

Perreault hasnt played a minute professionally yet.  I wouldnt pencil him in just yet.  

BTW, we've seen same posts about Othmann last year and now crickets.  

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

You have to draft well for that. Historically the rangers don’t.

• Keeps it 100 1

30 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Perreault hasnt played a minute professionally yet.  I wouldnt pencil him in just yet.  

BTW, we've seen same posts about Othmann last year and now crickets.  

17 minutes ago, siddious said:

You have to draft well for that. Historically the rangers don’t.

Historically, no, but recently, there's reason to believe. Lafreniere broke out big. He looks confident as hell and scored nearly 30 goals with no PP time. Perreault, by all accounts, is going to make an impact, too. And we haven't even discussed Othmann yet. I can see all three playing meaningful roles in future years. If Chytil can go the same route as Zib and shake off the multiple concussions issue, he's a reliable 2C, too.

Beyond that, there's a whole wave of bottom-six players who look like real quality NHLers in future years which will likely keep the Rangers out of the business of buying grit in free agency — guys like Berard, Othmann(?), Sykora, Chmelar, Vaisanen, and Roobroeck. Berard is the one I have my eye on as early as this coming training camp. He looks poised to make the jump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I mean, it's a little semantic, but window definitely implies a harder close than phase to me. Window would be open/close. Phase would be more like a wave.

And I agree with Pete that this team is not facing another tear down/rebuild. They're gonna need a couple of signings, maybe, but the transition should be pretty smooth. Zib is the only caveat I can see, because there's no internal option to replace him.

Yeah my point was more about the way people use it here, like this window is going to close and then another one will open in a few years, I don't think that's what's happening, we're in agreement. 

Just now, Pete said:

Yeah my point was more about the way people use it here, like this window is going to close and then another one will open in a few years, I don't think that's what's happening, we're in agreement. 

Yeah, I see very little downtime here between phases/windows/frames/paintings/whatever. If they're smart, they can use a couple <insert word here> to completely sidestep any crash when Panarin and Trouba are off at the same time (their money will go to re-signing Miller, Lafreniere, and Shesterkin), and then again the year after when Kreider and Chytil are UFA. Of this group of players, the only one who stands any chance of coming back at a more expensive number is Chytil, and that's assuming he stays healthy.

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I see very little downtime here between phases/windows/frames/paintings/whatever. If they're smart, they can use a couple <insert word here> to completely sidestep any crash when Panarin and Trouba are off at the same time (their money will go to re-signing Miller, Lafreniere, and Shesterkin), and then again the year after when Kreider and Chytil are UFA. Of this group of players, the only one who stands any chance of coming back at a more expensive number is Chytil, and that's assuming he stays healthy.

Kreider is underpaid right now.  I expect the Rangers will move on when his deal is up but they're getting a bargain right now with him.

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

i dont think anyone has any idea on what the future holds for the rangers.  

• Applause 1

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Kreider is underpaid right now.  I expect the Rangers will move on when his deal is up but they're getting a bargain right now with him.

I don't. I think they'll keep him (because Panarin will walk) and he's a franchise legend they'll want to ride into the sunset with.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't. I think they'll keep him (because Panarin will walk) and he's a franchise legend they'll want to ride into the sunset with.

If he is still playing the way he is now he'd be a good keep.  Some guys just get better when they're supposed to be in decline.  Not very many but Kreider is definitely on that list right now.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Phil said:

And he’s also one that should continue to produce at or near a high level as he ages. Even if his speed drops, you can’t teach size. And his hand eyed coordination. 

Edited by RichieNextel305

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And he’s also one that should continue to produce at or near a high level as he ages. Even if his speed drops, you can’t teach size. And his hand eyed coordination. 

He'll continue his progression towards a Dave Andreychuk type player. Completely useless in every area of the ice except for within 10 ft of the crease. 

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And he's still likely to be the, or one of the best net front presence players in the league. Even if his foot speed starts to go, his hands should hold up just fine to continue tipping pucks and screening the way he does.

Just now, Pete said:

He'll continue his progression towards a Dave Andreychuk type player. Completely useless in every area of the ice except for within 10 ft of the crease. 

Literally exactly this.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

Literally exactly this.

As long as he keeps scoring goals, you can get away with that when you're potting 35 but not when you're potting 22. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

As long as he keeps scoring goals, you can get away with that when you're potting 35 but not when you're potting 22. 

I mean, this is dependent on his price, I'd argue. If he re-signs for, say, $5 million, he'd still be mostly good value even if he's giving you 22. Andreychuk scored 21 at the age of 40 in 82 games. Then 6 in 42 games the following year and it was over.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, this is dependent on his price, I'd argue. If he re-signs for, say, $5 million, he'd still be mostly good value even if he's giving you 22. Andreychuk scored 21 at the age of 40 in 82 games. Then 6 in 42 games the following year and it was over.

How many players you know take a pay cut? 

But yeah, all things being equal I agree with you. 

But he's probably going to wind up getting 8 if he's at 6 now. 

• Bullseye 1

NHL Needs to have some sort of summer league like the NBA does. 

Obviously injury risk is a thing that I doubt anyone wants to risk. But like, host it in a fun place to play (NBA already has vegas but if they put it there I'm sure they could get a few decent players to agree to do a couple of weeks in vegas to play hockey and then go party). 

i just need another reason for my wife to hate me for watching too much hockey lol

10 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

NHL Needs to have some sort of summer league like the NBA does. 

Obviously injury risk is a thing that I doubt anyone wants to risk. But like, host it in a fun place to play (NBA already has vegas but if they put it there I'm sure they could get a few decent players to agree to do a couple of weeks in vegas to play hockey and then go party). 

i just need another reason for my wife to hate me for watching too much hockey lol

Shorten the AHL season to 50-60 games.  Have it run from June to October.  Put the games on TV because there's nothing else on.