• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

As a veteran of the low production Rangers of the last window I revere Kreider's actual production at this point.  How many other 32 year old players are averaging more PPG than their cap figure would expect?

The Rangers got good again in a hurry when he stepped up with a career year in 21-22 and he's been part of the success both seasons after also.

The lack of grind is annoying but he's the polar opposite of Kakko in that regard.  Productive even when it doesn't look like he's trying particularly hard.

Like I said, no one is complaining about production.

I would say he had a career year because the Rangers got good, the Rangers didn't get good because he had a career year.

Same as his playoff goalscoring...It's not because he's some dominant dynamic player who takes over games. It's because the Rangers have been very good for a really long time and haven't really missed the playoffs since he's been here.

As a player who doesn't create any of his own offense and is entirely dependent on other players to get him the puck, there's a limit to the credit he gets for offense.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mentioned this before as well.

He barely shoots the puck from anywhere but 10' out.

https://edge.nhl.com/en/skater/20232024-regular-8475184#:~:text=Percentile-,Shots on Goal,-246

I tend to think of this regarding the PP. 

Yes CK is elite in front of the net.  However, I also come back to what happens when the PP struggles.  PKs try to prevent Zib/Panarin from carrying the puck over the blueline.  Dish it to CK at the blueline, usually results in a turnover.  Dump it, CK can't dig it out of the corner.

If you replaced CK with a player like Laf sure you get less of CK tip goals, but what you get in return is a player the helps massively with zone entries and getting set up, a player that can go into the corners and retrieve the puck, Zib shoots more instead of trying set set up CK tap ins.  

CK is great at one thing, but relying on that one thing detracts from other areas success can be found.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Yes CK is elite in front of the net.  However, I also come back to what happens when the PP struggles.  PKs try to prevent Zib/Panarin from carrying the puck over the blueline.  Dish it to CK at the blueline, usually results in a turnover.  Dump it, CK can't dig it out of the corner.

If you replaced CK with a player like Laf sure you get less of CK tip goals, but what you get in return is a player the helps massively with zone entries and getting set up, a player that can go into the corners and retrieve the puck, Zib shoots more instead of trying set set up CK tap ins.  

CK is great at one thing, but relying on that one thing detracts from other areas success can be found.

He’s become a good defensive player and is a very good penalty killer who is very dangerous short handed.

But that, coupled with his ability in front of the net, is really all you get in the tangible sense. 
And that’s frustrating given the physical tools he has. 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

His actual shot isn’t fantastic.

Above average  I’d say.

In his first few seasons he had a few nice wrist shot goals but nothing since then. Not sure what happened to His shot. 

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

i wouldnt touch Kreider on the PP.  As soon as you take him off you'd be looking for a player who's going to stand in front of the net and tip in goals, exactly what Kreider does well.  What I would do is take Zibby off the PP.  He just doesnt bring anything to the PP anymore.  IMO the PP struggles are directly because of him  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

i wouldnt touch Kreider on the PP.  As soon as you take him off you'd be looking for a player who's going to stand in front of the net and tip in goals, exactly what Kreider does well.  What I would do is take Zibby off the PP.  He just doesnt bring anything to the PP anymore.  IMO the PP struggles are directly because of him  

You’re about to get face blasted with a 5 year sample size of Zib PP goal numbers. 

35 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You’re about to get face blasted with a 5 year sample size of Zib PP goal numbers. 

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

There are no power play struggles. 

2 hours ago, siddious said:

In his first few seasons he had a few nice wrist shot goals but nothing since then. Not sure what happened to His shot. 

Yup

Thats my recollection as well.

He stopped using it. He stopped doing a lot of things

13 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

sure were in the playoffs.  

Sometimes you get beat by a better team. 

The bottom line is it's a top power playing the league that doesn't have many gaps, so all of the calls for Lafreniere to be on the top unit aren't about making the power play better, they're about fan faves.

I don't know how much better the power play is going to get by swapping anybody out and putting Laf on. It's already among the best in the league. A bad two week stretch doesn't change that.

• Bullseye 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Sometimes you get beat by a better team. 

The bottom line is it's a top power playing the league that doesn't have many gaps, so all of the calls for Lafreniere to be on the top unit aren't about making the power play better, they're about fan faves.

I don't know how much better the power play is going to get by swapping anybody out and putting Laf on. It's already among the best in the league. A bad two week stretch doesn't change that.

I think PP will get better with Laf on it. He’s creative and can shoot. He’s not one dementional like Zibby has become. Zibby has his one-timer and pretty much beings nothing else. He’s also not as good taking the puck to O-zone as he used to be. Laf is much better at it. 

is it just me or is this summer flying by super fast?  Feels like the playoffs just ended and we're already almost in mid-august.  Preseason is right around the corner.

We get to see how much Trouba sucks again soon

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

is it just me or is this summer flying by super fast?  Feels like the playoffs just ended and we're already almost in mid-august.  Preseason is right around the corner.

We get to see how much Trouba sucks again soon

It’s flying by for sure